Pearly Gates in my CS6

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby Brock » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:57 am

I spent WAY too money this past week. I love and hate black Friday :mrgreen:

I did find a heck of deal on a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I put the neck pup n my CS6 to compliment the bridge Saturday Night Special and let me tell ya...it rocks! It has that vintage Gibson neck PAF tone but it's brighter and has a lot of clarity. Both pups together sound really great.

IMG_20171201_101858_hdr[1].jpg

IMG_20171201_102043_hdr[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2236
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Garland TX

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Sound clips or it didn't happen. :wink:

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby Brock » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:13 pm

haha I'll get right on that

User avatar
mangdrew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: Texas
Links/Contact:

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby mangdrew » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 am

How is that Sat night special? Been eyeing that one

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4776
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:13 am

Who else is using the SN Specials is Canon Mutant. You may want to hit him up. Think he has them in his koa top CS6 w the Floyd.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby Brock » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 am

mangdrew wrote:How is that Sat night special? Been eyeing that one


SD describes it just right - to replicate those legendary late 70s arena rock tones.

It has a full sound with plenty of bottom end. I use a tube amp. My preference is to be on the clean channel with the gain set right at the edge of overdrive. The pickup responds well and really cleans up when I roll the guitar volume back. With full volume it gets plenty raunchy and rude and gives me the feedback I love. It kind of reminds me of a Pearly gates but with a little more output and a good bit more bottom end.

Even with overdrive I can hear the clarity of each individual string.

I don't experiment with different sounds so I couldn't tell you much more. My favorite style of music is 70s and 80s rock. That's the guitar tone I prefer and the SNS gets me there.

Hope that helps

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10668
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:00 pm

That sure is a gorgeous CS. :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4776
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 am

It's just one of those models that all around lends itself to looking gorgeous. It's tough to make an unattractive CS. Like, denim, especially blue denim, is one of my least favorite finishes that the modern era has brought us. I really am not a fan.

And yet, somehow this is one of my favorite CS's of all time...
Image
Image
Image
Image
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
mangdrew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: Texas
Links/Contact:

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby mangdrew » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 am

Cool deal, thanks for chiming in on the tones!




Brock wrote:
mangdrew wrote:How is that Sat night special? Been eyeing that one


SD describes it just right - to replicate those legendary late 70s arena rock tones.

It has a full sound with plenty of bottom end. I use a tube amp. My preference is to be on the clean channel with the gain set right at the edge of overdrive. The pickup responds well and really cleans up when I roll the guitar volume back. With full volume it gets plenty raunchy and rude and gives me the feedback I love. It kind of reminds me of a Pearly gates but with a little more output and a good bit more bottom end.

Even with overdrive I can hear the clarity of each individual string.

I don't experiment with different sounds so I couldn't tell you much more. My favorite style of music is 70s and 80s rock. That's the guitar tone I prefer and the SNS gets me there.

Hope that helps

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Re: Pearly Gates in my CS6

Postby Brock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:It's just one of those models that all around lends itself to looking gorgeous. It's tough to make an unattractive CS. Like, denim, especially blue denim, is one of my least favorite finishes that the modern era has brought us. I really am not a fan.


Carvin did a very nice job designing the CS.

Me? I prefer the classic Les Paul finishes. A CS looks best that way, in my humble opinion.

To agree with what you said...while I don't like the modern look, a CS can pull it off like a champ. A modern Les Paul - not so much.


Return to Other Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests