Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Postby Omsong » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 am

A Tele is so stupid simple that it's perfect. A slab of wood from an old barn door, two pickups wound on nails, a bridge made from Model-T spare parts, and a screwed on neck - slap on some chicken wire for strings - shear genius! From Zepplen metal to chick'n pick'n country to cool jazz to Springsteen rock to down and dirty blues; it fits anywhere. Tele's will still be going strong long after we (and maybe Gibson) are gone.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 am

Your post reminds me especially of the reclaimed wood Teles (and Strats) that you see, especially those reclaimed Eastern Pine Teles with the knotholes and nicks and dings, as the wood was sliced straight from a century-plus old barn that was torn down in the midwest.

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:40 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Honestly, I haven't put any demos of this thing up lately because the tendonitis in my forearm has been made worse by heavy lifting at work over the past two weeks, at a new level that was started ironically by carrying the amp out of the store, into cars to get home, and up the steps into my apt. Only 41 lbs which is cake versus the heavy Carvin combo, but I was already dealing with nagging golfers elbow which is already the Guitarists Affliction, but it's killing.

So I decided, Well, good time to demo the soft intimacy created by playing the thing lightly, since it's so touch sensitive and responsive to dynamics when you dig in. So here's a little soft run thru of the old koa 150.

First the M22N.
Then the 2014 M22SD
Ending with both together. No coil splitting or phase switching, just straight humbucker. You can get an idea of how sweet and meaningful the thing is when touching lightly, and spits acid when you grind into it. It's really something.

The amps two channels are in parallel on boost position two. So kind of like a light Seventies "Just breaking up" kinda sound where it's mostly clean, but barks when you snap into it.

Been meaning to give this post a Thumbs Up. Sounds Great Doc!
You know I love the High Gain tones. Feel free to cut loose with that M22SD and crank that Carr to MAX GAIN. I'd love to hear that. :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 am

I think I mentioned this already, but the thing that freaked me out about this thing is that even with the attenuator on one watt/lowest possible setting, its lowest volume is louder than the lowest volume I get out of my xv212C even when on full 100 watts! :shock: This amp is, surprisingly, a device of atomic destruction. Especially when you crank the tubes all the way up into their must gained up setting.. ie in series on boost position three. I can't really get away with it in my building, in fact on the lowest possible volume my guitars start slightly going into a loop moan... ie not squeal feedback, but a note loop where the pickup is catching the note and building back thru the amp. It's a savage freaking device. Very girthy and not to be underestimated despite its low wattage.

The saving grace is the Line Out. It's just a regular 1/4 inch out, and you just slap it right into the 1/4 inch input on your board and you're golden. It's super useful. It's really my saving grace when playing/recording home and I want to crank up that final nuclear option gain stage... It's really a little too loud for my neighbors when played through the Celestion.. but I can rout it into my reference speakers for recording purposes (along with all the rest of the less heavy settings) and it sounds really fantastic. Just superb machine, this thing.

All the other settings are fine with the attenuator going, especially in parallel.

It's really a miracle of an amp. It's just absolutely incredible. I'll get you some heavy cranking from Bridge Pickup Central soon.. something like the 22SD, a nice traditional Alnico II, and one of the P90 bridge pickups.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 am

Can anyone tell if this is a Vader or a Strandberg? Or something different?

They sound an awful lot like lithiums to me. But unless I missed it, the guitar was never identified.

Anyhow shows the amp with moderate gain, using the line out. Just went up.

https://youtu.be/MWzx-weAkws
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Just confirmed with Steve Carr that that is a Kiesel Vader.

The Lithiums explain why I'm kinda meh on the sound.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 am

The Kiesel logo is Black, so a little hard to see.
Definitely not a tone that appeals to me. Not the amps fault.
Every demo I've heard with the Lithiums/Multi Scale/Extended scale, sound the same.(No, I have not seen/heard them all)
Is it the guitar/pickups, or the recording technique? I don't know. :think:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:47 pm

They almost sound, regardless of amp, like they're coming out of an AM radio, a consistent feature of those pups when under a certain degree of gain. There's just not a lot of dynamic availability on tap there to punctuate your phrasing, I guess.

And we're dealing with probably the most dynamic, responsive low watt amp in de bidness. I wonder who the player is. . . and if he found out about the amp here.. 8)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:30 pm

INteresting spin on a Tele (played thru a V)... typical single in the bridge, but with a Firebird mini bucker in the neck. Makes for a nice unique T type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZdIf8-gxas
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Yeah, great tones from that Tele and amp, but ugh, that ugly pickguard would have to go! It's also nice to hear someone demo without having to crank the distortion and shred a million lifeless notes...
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:25 pm

YouTubes Swedish prince of tone--owner of 59 Bassmans, vintage Plexi after vintage Plexi after vintage Plexi, and all the goodness in between and after, had his head blown clean off by a Carr Mercury V today and made claims I've never heard him make about an amplifier:

"This Amp Will Make You PLAY BETTER!"

If it makes you salivate, this guy owns it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DISLBIX_3AI
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 am

Very cool!
Johan is 'The Man'. I've been watching his videos for a long time. He has EXCELLENT taste in Guitars! :wink: and amps.
His words about this amp are a HUGE compliment. He has played through the 'Holy Grails' of many flavors, and seems that this Mercury V has tickled his Sweet spot. I'm not surprised, considering yours and Many other Highly respected players overwhelming positively gushing reviews about this Carr Mercury V.
It's giving me the 'Gotta Haves". That Gibson Les Paul Custom 'Black Beauty' has me doing backflips too.
(DISTRACTIONS)....darn motorcycles! :lol: I have been enjoying my '140 a day's' (MPH) lately though. :applause:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:44 am

I know, it's hard getting stuff done in the studio because you never want to stop wanking off.. you just sit there with your jaw in your lap going "LISTEN to this thing," and you just can't believe you're getting that gorgeous buzzsaw holy grail tone at easy room volume.

The amp still makes me dizzy every time I play it, and every guitar I own just loves it.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 am

Yup, too many people skimp on the amp. It's part of the instrument as a whole. Great-sounding amp, clean or dirty. There's a very slight difference in distortion when changing the attenuator, but it's far more subtle than I typically hear. Kind of reminds me of what Peavey did in their micro heads, though this one does it better for sure (and it should, given the price).

I didn't like the other video of the 8 string guy with the Vader. I dislike how the lower strings sound, and the upper ones definitely have more of that inherent ear-fatiguing spike. Yay. Lithiums. Not terrible, but not my thing for sure.

For the life of me, I can't remember what the song is at 9:55 in that video of Johan's. Haven't heard that tune in probably 25 years.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:
For the life of me, I can't remember what the song is at 9:55 in that video of Johan's. Haven't heard that tune in probably 25 years.

That's the theme to, of all things, Love Story!. Quite the unusual choice for holy grail Les Paul Custom/Merc V tones!

I didn't like the other video of the 8 string guy with the Vader. I dislike how the lower strings sound, and the upper ones definitely have more of that inherent ear-fatiguing spike. Yay. Lithiums. Not terrible, but not my thing for sure.

Very much agreed. I think he may have put that together because of the increasing popularity of Kiesel on one hand, at least within a certain subset of player.. and also because we talk about them here. I think it was a smart move, but . . . .

I agree that the sound of the guitar sounds a little, eh, unexciting? Not incredibly compelling? I'm trying to find the proper description of what my feelings are about the demo.

It doesn't sound any worse than a Lithium loaded axe does in other scenarios, but the demo is fascinating to me because it appears that Kiesel guitars decked with Liths may be the sole axe that doesn't explode when put through that classic, real deal "holy grail" power-tube soaked Marshall sound. Every Tele, every Strat, PRS, Gibson, every Hagstrom, M22 loaded koa Carvin, hollow, semi-hollow, solidbody, humbucker, P90 of various makes, Fender single coils, Gibson Alnico staple pickups...high output, low output... all of these sound godlike when passed through the Mercury V head.. but the Kiesel Lithium loaded Vader doesn't seem to get a bounce from those super clean circuits and the normally oh-so-difficult-to-add-at-low-volume power tube distortion blended in with typical preamp 12ax7 tube distortion.

Typically I would say that any guitar that plugs into this or something in a similar ballpark like a Metropoulos Metroplex, a true Dumble OD Sp, Trainwreck, etc, but gets no noticeable improvement in sound... is fairly unique in an odd way.

But hey-variety is the spice of life.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:02 am

Doctor Turn wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote: . . . .

I agree that the sound of the guitar sounds a little, eh, unexciting? Not incredibly compelling? I'm trying to find the proper description of what my feelings are about the demo.

One thing to keep in mind, also, is that the Vader 8 string multiscale has a 26 inch scale on the shortest side, and each string gets longer, going up to 27.5 in. I'm not saying that this is the reason for the tone the pickups have, but it's certainly a factor in this specific scenario.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:24 am

Scale length and pickup design definitely play a role. After hearing Turn's clips, and others, I really don't believe the amp is the problem in chasing the sound I like. Quite the opposite. It's an impressive little beast. There is a character of it that reminds me very much of my old tweed Gibson Falcon when cranked. I'd chalk that up to how the 6V6 tubes are running.

Thanks for the info on that song. Brings back memories of childhood. My grandmother had a wall painting with a music box built in that played that theme. Always thought it was an interesting melody back then, but never knew its origin. Now I know. Good times and memories. Still good playing by Johan. Always fun to watch.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Scale length and pickup design definitely play a role. After hearing Turn's clips, and others, I really don't believe the amp is the problem in chasing the sound I like. Quite the opposite. .

Absolutely--this amp just infinitely improves the sound of every guitar I plug into it via the extreme purity of the circuit and its potentiation by the push from those cooking power tubes sizzling over a Class A design, it's extremely touch sensitive and dynamic. It's like an original point to point Bluesbreaker or Super Lead that's been modded with a huge tone stack and dumbl-ish cascading channels able to go in series, powered by massively different boost levels. And of course the attenuator to keep the power tubes working to get you all that thick percussive juice that gives the sound that multidimensional, complex sound. PLugging any guitar into this is going to sound noticeably better, more impressive than your standard AB modern Marshall, Carvin, Peavey, etc etc.

I've experienced the extreme "Whoah!" drama of how different all of my other, wildly variegated guitars, sound running through the Merc vs everything else they've been played thru... which is why the lack of spark on the Liths was noticeable.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 am

A-and it's vintage Strat time. The Merc and a 1973 Strat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx4kljxuJek

You can see in his thumbnail how tight a little package that combo really is, and yet this little boutique 16 watter sounds like a 1969 Super Lead pumping out super high power, deafening juice thru a wall of Greenback cabs. The genius of Steve Carr and North Carolina. SOmething in the air and the water down there.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Sounds great with the Strat too. I like how he CRANKS the amps while testing them. (I am envious, because I can't do that currently)
I went back and listened to him playing through one of my personal favorites, and my daily go to JVM1 Head. It isn't on par with the Carr, but I was pleasantly surprised that it still sounded pretty good, even after listening to the Merc V clips.
Made me smile. :D

Return to Other Gear