Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 pm

In most cases, adding an effects loop is a relatively easy mod. Are there any folks out there who have modded their Carrs?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:16 pm

I've never looked in that direction in terms of research or feedback on the amp. Also in terms of the fact that the Merc V has been on the market less than a year I don't know that mods like that (at least on that amps' circuit... other Carrs maybe so, just haven't looked) would be something out there in a lot of volume in terms of comments or blog posts.

To me the bigger issue with the amp is that it's a single channel without a footswitch. But, owing to the responsiveness of all of my guitars to their tone and volume knobs, I'm not that worried. I expect rollbacks to clean up decently enough. I've got a decent clean boost and compressor. My ideal tone these days is "just a bit beyond lightly broken up," and cleanup back to "just prior to broken up" (ie not totally clean, but close enough to it).

And anyhow, walking over to your amp during a small club gig isn't the worst thing in the world. You just have to arrange your set list strategically. But the real golden egg laid by this amp is the benefits to home recording, getting that absolute, legitimate, totally authentic holy grail PLexi-on-11 power tube soak at whisper volume. It's a herculean achievement!

Like I said, Steve Carr is a genius.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm

"I just need to learn how to take care of this amp, which is going to need more “maintenance” than the computers that I am used to playing through." - I had to chuckle when I read this thinking that at least analog tube amps can't get computer viruses! :)

So what are a few other low wattage tube combos worth considering besides the Mercury (if there are any)?
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Tone King 1 x 12 is a biggie, price is almost exact:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gIeuPD_BwE

Sonically, I would say the Carr mutilates this amp. Just listen to the demos. Greg Koch uses one quite a bit in his Wildwood demos.The sound is "very good" but nothing like the epiphany of the Carr. There are lots of them out there.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 pm

I'd likely get a Fender '65 Deluxe over that Tone King and save a few bills in the process (as I prefer the classic Fender style amp tones). Can't truly say without playing one. I agree that the Carr sounds (in the demos, at least) way better.

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:11 pm

And anyhow if you wanted that fender voice, you'd go with the Skylark. It's the sister to the Mercury.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 am

Doctor Turn wrote:And anyhow if you wanted that fender voice, you'd go with the Skylark. It's the sister to the Mercury.

Yep! I was checking out this video and a few others last night, and I must say either one would be my dream amp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEoYfm03eHc

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:57 am

To the point of what a Not Good Amp will do to a great guitar.

One of the most sought after guitars in the world, a legit korina 1959 Explorer, sounding worse than a $200 Dean:

https://youtu.be/xbc8m052EH4
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:05 am

:shock: CRINGE! Initially I thought that 'noise' MUST be coming from that old Gibson amp, and the speaker is in tatters. Then I see it's the Marshall. WTF???
I actually have a 1986 Marshall JCM800 cab that looks a lot like that one. ('86 Marshall used some flawed dye for the basket weave, that fades to a maroon to tan)
I wouldn't know how to get such a bad tone from it. Everything I've ever plugged into it sounded good. Something is wrong with that Head. :?

'DAVE'..... PLEASE DELETE THAT VIDEO, AND TRY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :wall:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 am

I know. Also, everybody commenting on the video is tiptoeing around the second elephant in the room.. which is that the man cannot play guitar, not very well at least. He hangs there with his mouth hanging open in total confusion.. looks like saliva is about to start dribbling (easy Herr Turn, he's probably a very nice man and maybe he has an injury). He sounds like a guy who's loved music his whole life, maybe became a passable player back in the 60's/early 70's, and now we just have the remnants of an ancient so-so ability from a player turned entrepreneur who hasn't practiced in ages. The tale is told by the fact of him owning these guitars (he also has an original V as well) and when he first brought them out for this (either this one or the one w it and the V) he tried to tune up and the Kluson keys started disintegrating in his hands. And they put some period correct new ones on.

Which proves he hasn't been playing this thing at all until the video. Imagine owning a 59 Explorer, in tact, and not ever playing it :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops:

So, yeah. I don't know if it's just that he doesn't know how to use a bass and mid pot on and amp or it's just organically a completely shot marshall. Whatever it is, it's an incredible disaster of a video.

Here's the vid w the XPL and the V (painfully pointless video, that's more the bracketed intro and outro, than the content itself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDs0rCIGOE
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Carr Sportsman - one word: WOW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLB889DDF0CFF1FD31&v=fnDZ7yb5g-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKyCHGX-hxM

Gosh darn it, Doc... :naughty:

Only drawback is that it doesn't have a built in power attenuator,

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Yep, Steve's been nailing modern day holy grails for a few years now, he has a nice product line, and they're all pretty incredible. I got hip to them in 2016 when the Skylark was really spreading via its reputation and golfing away all the other high dollar Tone Kings, Matchless, Mesa, Budda, Engl, yadda..

I flirted with the idea of the TK IMperial Mk II for a bit because of its attenuator and because of it's addition of bells and whistles. Greg Koch put me on it.

Nobody I really care musically plays a Carr, it's just something I bumped into one day--I think I saw the Impala or the Skylark, and I just loved the way it looked, and started reading up and listening to samples and realized something was going on here....

RE extra channels and lack of the effects loop on these babies: Steve believes, and I think rightly so, that each one of those sorts of add ons subtracts from your sound. IE the more you add, the less you get out of your amp. So a single channel, loop free amp lacking some of the glitz add ons (despite the amazing features on the Merc) is going to deliver the richness and amazing acoustic character of your strings and pickups that add really pleasing qualities and overtones to your output that you're just not used to hearing because they don't survive thru other amps. And that simplicity plays into it, at least its how I understand it.

And I kind of agree that a 1 x 12 combo of low wattage and just a couple of power tubes like these should be almost purpose built to do just that. Get me that kind of beauty that I can't get from my 100 watt head in small quarter scenarios because I'd literally threaten to break my windows and torture people. Those old 4 6L6GC X100B's are fricking LOUD, like PLexi loud. Cranked, they're just heaven, I lay it against anything. But in small gigs, home recording, etc, I can't push it to its sweetest spot (except maybe on the 25 watt setting, but then the legendary clean sound loses itself and there's not even any headroom to lose). X amp is great, but you can hear for example at apartment building volume, my solos (at roughly 1 minute, and then again 2:12) on the Les Paul Special here using the bridge pickup.. it's got some girth to it at low volume, but nothing like the rich amber syrup of that Mercury V. That's what I want that Merc for, it will transform "gainy" moments like that into something more magical.

So for me, purpose building a small amp to get me at low volume what I can't get in that situation from a 50-100 watt head, that's ideal. If I want whistles and bells, effect loops, active circuits, footswitching multiple channels, effects, and volume boosts, I'll switch off to the kind of amp that's supposed to do that.

(YUP: it's a boring day at work so it's easy to get me to just start writing... and writing..)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Ahh, I definitely agree, now that I thought about it for a moment, why effects loop wouldn't really be vital on a 1-channel amp. But on a 2-3 channel amp, it's a whole 'nother monster, entirely.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Ahh, I definitely agree, now that I thought about it for a moment, why effects loop wouldn't really be vital on a 1-channel amp. But on a 2-3 channel amp, it's a whole 'nother monster, entirely.

Excellent point, spudmunkey, if you want to use effects across several channels! Guess some people prefer effects post preamp overdrive.

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm

I guess I have to take back my statement that nobody that I care about musically uses Carr amps. I just drifted around their site and looked at the list of known users.. Billy Gibbons (Raliegh), Bill Frisell (Merc V), Joe Perry (Merc V), Joe Walsh(Merc V), John Abercrombie, Keith Richards (Skylark), Nils Lofgren, Paul Simon, plus

(and this is a great endorsement) luthiers John Suhr (you'd think he'd use his own amps!), Matt Larrivee, Roger Sadowski, and Tom Anderson. :shock:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Omsong wrote: Only drawback is that it doesn't have a built in power attenuator,

According to one reviewer, the Skylark does have a built in attenuator.

Edited: I'm getting really confused. The Sportsman doesn't have the power attenuator, the Skylark and Mercury do. The Sportsman has a 'volume' and a 'headroom' control which, I would assume is about the same as having a master volume and a gain.
Last edited by Omsong on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Were you talking about the Skylark when you said that? Had I known that I would have told you that it comes with an attenuator built in just like the Mercury V. That's why I say they are brother and sister. The Skylark which came out 2-3 years ago is best thought of as almost a Fender voiced Mercury V, which just came out 11 months ago. Low wattage, 1 x 12, built in attenuator, all hand wired point to point.. etc. 2 6V6 power tubes + 12 ax pre, reverb, etc.

You should watch some of the full demos for the Skylark from Premiere or Lance Keltner. They go thru the attenuator which bring them down to a fraction of a watt.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 pm

What's the efficiency of the included speaker? Swapping around purposefully-inefficient speakers into the higher-wattage amp and highly-efficient ones into a lower-wattage amp, you could probably pretty easily get a 10w amp to out "oompf" a 100w amp, all else being equal!

I made the mistake of pairing really really efficiant speakers in a 4x12 with a 140w head. You could try to dial it in as low as you possibly could and barely hear it, but accidentally blowing on the volume knob would recreate this:

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Were you talking about the Skylark when you said that? Had I known that I would have told you that it comes with an attenuator built in just like the Mercury V. That's why I say they are brother and sister. The Skylark which came out 2-3 years ago is best thought of as almost a Fender voiced Mercury V, which just came out 11 months ago. Low wattage, 1 x 12, built in attenuator, all hand wired point to point.. etc. 2 6V6 power tubes + 12 ax pre, reverb, etc.

You should watch some of the full demos for the Skylark from Premiere or Lance Keltner. They go thru the attenuator which bring them down to a fraction of a watt.

Doc, one of each (if I win the lottery) 8)

Your's should be arriving pretty soon, right?

Kiesel
Past tense

Return to Other Gear