Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Postby Naked Ape » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 am

Great video!
Great tones!
Great guys!
So much fun. Cool guitars. Notice the F-hole on the blue guitar, goes all the way through. Very Cool.
I just never get tired of Greg's playing. Chopps Chopps Chopps!!!!!
The 16 minute mark is just CLASSIC. Love it.

Stand by for something I've been wanting to mention here.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:54 am

I'm back.
Have you seen Koch amps 'The Greg' ?
Sounds good. I like it.
https://youtu.be/iopE_x-dhTQ

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Yup--I always feel slightly bad for guys who do demos with Greg. They're in a tough spot: if you don't play along with all his verbal horseplay (almost riffing verbally at Robin Williams speed) you wind up looking silly and uncomfortable, hanging there waiting out the linguistic fireworks. If you try and even meet him halfway and even be a little witty yourself, you wind up coming off utterly unfunny, especially if you try and do the things he does. It's a friggin impossible situation.

But the guy is seriously one of the greatest guitar players who's ever walked the planet. I give Bonamassa credit for saying "Pound for pound Greg Koch is the best guitar player around today," etc.

And I like those Reverend guitars a lot. I love that they use all korina, I love the shape of that dirtbike stubby dubcut which echoes their classic Manta Ray and others. They're great recyclers of their own shapes. The oonnnnly thing I don't like about Reverend are their P90's. Ceramic and a little too spiky/stratty for my tastes, which is a shame because they have some awesome 3 x P90 designs. Looks like they're going full RailHammer as of late!

And yep. Greg debuted his amp line recently, I checked out the launch demo he did a couple months ago, and they sound nice. They seem well thought out, with some unique features and ideas built into them. Interesting that he chose to go w 2 x 10.

You could see for that quick moment when Ken Haas mentioned using the two Carr amps for demos and his long relationship w Carr, Greg thought for a moment about bringing up his amps... but didn't say anything in either direction. "Nah, wrong time." lol
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:07 am

I wish I had his left hand. His chords are not all that impressive. It is how cleanly he plucks at them that makes him so dang awesome. Plus he is a goofy not so full of myself dude. I like that in an icon.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:55 am

texastoast wrote:I wish I had his left hand. His chords are not all that impressive. It is how cleanly he plucks at them that makes him so dang awesome. Plus he is a goofy not so full of myself dude. I like that in an icon.

It's actually some of his more laid back (!!??) playing. Check out a good cross section of his demos for Wildwood in Colorado to get a sense of how far out his chord melodies can develop into. He's nutzzz.

And I'm guessing you mean his right hand, his plucking hand? His left hand is fretting everything.

I'd agree with you on either hand, but I just want to be sure I understood you right. :)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Yep, you did. I still am trying to convert from the Navy's port and starboard. :? I indeed meant the plucking hand. In this case the right. Or starboard if you will.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm

tl;dr
Some more notes on this amplifier as I get to know it better and better (there are so many little tonal corners of this thing, especially as you play around with
1) Series vs Parallel
2) Preamp Boost position 1,2 or 3, and
3) the raising and lowering of Hi channel 1 and Low Channel 2 (Dumble-ish, Plexi-sh interplay of two channels with different gain characteristics).

When you're in parallel, both channels are feeding the output at the same time, so you can freely blend the two for a composite tone, and you don't get "exponential" gain from "gain creating more gain from another gain input" (the way a tube screamer and an amps preamp section together create a raging end of world gain that neither is capable of independently). The two channels are "next to each other" and not multiplying the others gain. That does happen in Series mode, that's when you get exponential gain of one channel adding gain to the gain of the first channel, like a TS808 working w the 12ax7's of a preamp. There's an insane amount of gain in this little combo, and the creamback and the tone stack handle it really well.

What this amp really woke me up to more than anything is the difference between a Class A amp (the Carr) and a Class AB amp like the X100B. The immediacy of a class A amp is really startling, and it's incredible how responsive a well wired, handmade point to point class A amp can be. So much more of the dynamics of your playing is picked up, the physicality of your picking, and the volume of your attack. The variables presented by rolloffs of volume and tone. They remind me of those old Marshall 18 watters, which also were Class A handwired amps. (the downside of a Class A is the tubes are always being fed hot, thus the immediacy and responsiveness, and you will go thru tubes quicker on a Class A amp.)

There's a more "distant" sound to an AB amp (like a high wattage Marshall or the X amp, or Mesa) that's probably more forgiving, in that every little clink and clank of string and fret aren't read so quickly and freely by the amp.

But it's such an awesome experience--the combination of it's class A construction and the beauty and incredible quality of its design.. it's like suddenly tasting all of your food for the first time in your life. So many more things that you can do, so many new effects when bending, when sustaining, your notes sustain forever at low volume.. it's miracle territory. Never spent such a long amount of time with an amp of this extreme responsiveness. Every little thing you do on the neck, down by the bridge, it becomes beautiful music! You just don't ever want to put your guitars down, and you keep going through your guitars and discovering more things.

One more thing--this sucker is a powerhouse for 16 watts! Even at its lowest possible attenuated level, it's louder than the lowest volume that I can get my X100B even on 100 watts! This thing is a beast! I bought it for the idea of gobs of power tube gain at whisper levels... I kept it because I'm just mesmerized by how it reinvented my arsenal of axes. Love affair city!

And still-- I switch over to my X100B... and love it just as much. COMPLETELY different sound and style of signal amplification. They compliment each other perfectly.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:57 pm

From the web:
"As compared with the other amplifier classes we’ll cover, Class A amps are relatively simple devices. The defining principle of Class A operation is that all of an amplifier’s output devices must be conducting through the full 360 degree cycle of a waveform. Class A can also be broken down into single ended and push/pull amplifiers. Push/pull diverges from the basic explanation above by utilizing output devices in pairs. While both devices are conducting through the full 360 degree cycle, one device will shoulder more of the load during the positive portion of the cycle, while the other handles more of the negative cycle; the primary advantage of this arrangement is reduced distortion relative to single ended designs, as even order harmonics are cancelled out. In addition, push/pull Class A designs are less susceptible to hum; single ended designs tend to require special attention to the power supply to mitigate this issue.
Because of the positive attributes associated with Class A operation, it is considered the gold standard for audio quality in many audiophile circles. However, there is one important drawback to these designs: efficiency. The requirement of Class A designs to have all output devices conducting at all times results in significant amounts of wasted power, which is ultimately converted to heat. This is further exacerbated by the fact that Class A designs require relatively high levels of quiescent current, which is the amount of current flowing through the output devices when the amplifier is producing zero output. Real world efficiency rates can be on the order of 15-35%, with the potential to drop into the single digits using highly dynamic source material."

Since a class A amp is conducting all the time there is no latency in its response - there is no turn on delay (never enters cutoff), even if it is only millisenconds.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Exactly. I've been educating myself in this classification versus other amps, and this is why the amps sound is so immediate and so true, there's no delay in response whatsoever. Thus you hear so much more of what's going on with your Instrument. No fidelity, or as little as possible, is lost versus other circuit designs.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, since the tubes are constantly running hot and fully engaged you will burn through tubes a lot faster versus an ab design.

This Merc is such a savage little beast. Except for the gentlest clean tones, there's no hope whatsoever to get unattenuated gained up sounds in this apartment. It is LOUD!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Yep, Class A is hard on tubes since there is current flow all the time. Best to use that standby switch (to cut the plate voltage) whenever possible!

Some of that pure, smooth response in Class A is because there is no crossover distortion (when one tube switches off and the other on).

HERE it the website that summrizes all the amp types - pretty interesting. I have been wondering how Class D amps work as they are showing up in a lot of tiny solid state heads recently. They remind me of the technology in lighweight, high current, switching power supplies.
Last edited by Omsong on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Honestly, I haven't put any demos of this thing up lately because the tendonitis in my forearm has been made worse by heavy lifting at work over the past two weeks, at a new level that was started ironically by carrying the amp out of the store, into cars to get home, and up the steps into my apt. Only 41 lbs which is cake versus the heavy Carvin combo, but I was already dealing with nagging golfers elbow which is already the Guitarists Affliction, but it's killing.

So I decided, Well, good time to demo the soft intimacy created by playing the thing lightly, since it's so touch sensitive and responsive to dynamics when you dig in. So here's a little soft run thru of the old koa 150.

First the M22N.
Then the 2014 M22SD
Ending with both together. No coil splitting or phase switching, just straight humbucker. You can get an idea of how sweet and meaningful the thing is when touching lightly, and spits acid when you grind into it. It's really something.

The amps two channels are in parallel on boost position two. So kind of like a light Seventies "Just breaking up" kinda sound where it's mostly clean, but barks when you snap into it.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 am

What a feeling that is, to come home and pop a box open and see this. When I did the same with this Mercury V, and pulled out that manual, and that fresh tolex, pine, and component smell wafted up outa the box, the serotonin levels were just pumping off the richter scale! (And they haven't stopped)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:15 am

Hold'n back on us were you, Dr. Turn! Awesome. I'm ready to hear a shoot-out. :lol:

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:58 am

Well I put up that simple demo above, my fretting arm has been killing me. I need some magic stretching/icing/something. And was breaking in the speaker some more last weekend and this week with some cushions taped tight onto it. But that demo shows how, even attenuated down to its lowest possible volume, and with the Creamback 65 still in total virgin territory and not broken in at all (and thus missing some of the amazing low end such a low wattage head can provide when sprung from the insane imagination of Steve Carr), shows how dynamic the amp is and responsive to pick (in that demo's case, finger) attack. You can go from delicate clean to awesome squishy, perfectly compressed crunch just by digging in. And the directness and sensitivity of its class A construction really allows the characteristics of the guitar to shine. You can hear how much the resonant body wood of that old DC vibrates thru and thru with every note and colors the tone.

I'll try to get some more up this weekend. Probably some P90 action.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Well I put up that simple demo above, my fretting arm has been killing me. I need some magic stretching/icing/something. And was breaking in the speaker some more last weekend and this week with some cushions taped tight onto it. But that demo shows how, even attenuated down to its lowest possible volume, and with the Creamback 65 still in total virgin territory and not broken in at all (and thus missing some of the amazing low end such a low wattage head can provide when sprung from the insane imagination of Steve Carr), shows how dynamic the amp is and responsive to pick (in that demo's case, finger) attack. You can go from delicate clean to awesome squishy, perfectly compressed crunch just by digging in. And the directness and sensitivity of its class A construction really allows the characteristics of the guitar to shine. You can hear how much the resonant body wood of that old DC vibrates thru and thru with every note and colors the tone.

I'll try to get some more up this weekend. Probably some P90 action.

Don't push yourself physically. I know from experience the best remedy for muscle, joint and ligament pain is rest. When I start to feel better and decide to test a little more aggressive activity it's often "ouch", back to day one. My wife gets some oriental topical medicinal oil from Indonesia called Kutis Kutis that works wonders, but healing still requires time and rest.

Kiesel
Past tense

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:16 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Image

What a feeling that is, to come home and pop a box open and see this. When I did the same with this Mercury V, and pulled out that manual, and that fresh tolex, pine, and component smell wafted up outa the box, the serotonin levels were just pumping off the richter scale! (And they haven't stopped)

(Scratching my head)
Is there a Congratulations in order for another stellar 'New Amp Day' ?
If my reading comprehension serves me right......this is somebody else's new Carr.
Then, I remember the Skylark was your original choice of Carr amplification. :think:
I'm thinking the Honeymoon is still in full swing with the Merc V, and it's just too soon to introduce a 3rd party. :idea: :lol:

I just noticed the date on the manual is April 2014. Hmmmmm :think:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:47 am

Haha no not at all. It was just a picture I found online, and it reminded me of that magical moment in my hallway when I slit the tape on the top of my box, and seeing the amp in there packed the identical way with the identical foam blocks... And the inner orgasm I had.

I WISH I was able to put together that much disposable drachma that fast. Although I'd probably have a fender or a solo instead.

As for the date, the date on the manual usually matches that edition of the manual for that model. The Skylark preceded the Mercury V (which came out a year ago just about, maybe a little bit less) by about three years. You can see the production date on my manual here, which pretty much matches up with the date the Merc V started shipping.

(No, the Carvin is never more than a foot or two away from me. That guitar is butter)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 am

I, too, thought you added a Skylark to your amp collection! Had me fooled. :lol:

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Wow, that's so funny, and I was totally oblivious to the idea that I created that impression.

You guys would have known way in advance from me posting about it in the run up to finally getting it.

In other news I was just down in GC grabbing a looper, and I sat down and played a current American Professional Telecaster thru a Hot Rod Deluxe in the Fender room and I swear it was an epiphany. I now know what I'm getting next , no doubt, no questions. No pickup changes. Sonic grey, rosewood board. That deep C profile neck made it fit my hands like a glove, and those Shaw single coils were sublime. I cranked up the Hot Rod and the thing snarled and bit.. so awesome. I fell in love. Traditional Tele bridge with three barrels but compensated saddles.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:...

Money shot photo... nice!! 8)

I, too, thawt you doubled down on the Carr. :shock: Ya got me Doc. :lol:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Other Gear