Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am

I also think that TT is slightly missing the point of these amps, which are actually at the cutting edge of modern boutique amps. I don't see "unimpeded tube tone, unencumbered by cheaper manufacturing techniques, add on circuits for switching, loops, etc, " equals vintage necessarily, although these kinds of point to point all tube circuits are more expensive these days and were more common in the sixties before labor costs increased.

But these amps aim to just show you what your guitar is capable of sounding like without degradation. And for example, the Mercury V is a library of crunch tones, as mentioned a few times already, from the late sixties straight through to today. They're not one trick ponies by any means, as any of the demos will illustrate. If you just want tone from an old amp, buy an old amp...

What attracts me to these amps is 1) the purity of the tone, regardless of where you dial in, 2) and the rare ability to get such a gigantic sound out of such a small package. It's really ideal and fabulous for the studio and the lighter demands of small city gigs. Just for the studio alone it's priceless, which is why you have wealthy legendary players like Joe Walsh, Gibbons, Keef, Joe Perry, and even amp builders and luthier (some who build amps themselves like Suhr) choosing to use these over the entire universe of amps available to them from any era.

They're not vintage repro amps, i can't emphasize that enough. Although they "do" that very well. I'm most looking forward to the convenience, and the rejuvenation of my arsenal of guitars. If true sound and good sound= vintage, and has no association to today, that's extremely unusual.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:40 pm

I do not wish to get into a war of words over this. But I wish to explain a bit more about my comment.I apparently step on some sensitive toes with the vintage comment. I do not think it exactly comprises a modern sounding amp either. And what do people compare it to. A mesa triple rec? A hk grand mister? A diesel? Now granted I only spent about four hours on one with only one guitar. But it was enough for me to get the general feel.
It has a classic tone hows that. I am not trying to insult the amp or down grade it in any way. I think the sound is awesome. I think it is a bit expensive, but also one of the best I have heard. It has great endorsements. But It is not for me. I would not buy that amp even at half the price. I just does nothing for me. But i can appreciate what it does and I will not trash it just because it is not my speed.
All I am saying is tone is subjective. When people say that some one still cares about tone I think it should be they still care about "MY" tone. It is somewhat of an intellectual insult to assume people still do not have passion and still make amps the way they want to even if you do not like them.
And it is all personal and subjective. Case in point my least two favorite amps are my fender twin and my ac30. People drool over them and tell me how lucky I am to own them. They collect dust. My favorite amp is hated generally. I like vintage 30 the best and I do own cabs loaded with cream backs/green backs. I do not like p-90's or single coils of any flavor and I think the tone from the sixty's and seventy's suck and I have no romantic attachment like so many. Am I right? No. am I wrong? No. It is just my opinion and what I like.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:01 pm

texastoast wrote:I apparently step on some sensitive toes with the vintage comment.

Not at all, my friend! Not even close to a war--it's just a forum discussion on a subject.

You can have any opinion you'd like! You might disagree with my thoughts that the idea that 2500 is expensive for an amp but not for a guitar is an unusual one (to be fair you're not the only guy who feels the amp is expensive and has that price idea about guitars vs amps, ie it's okay to pay from 3-5 grand for a single guitar but not for an amp). Please know that I'm not angry with you.

You're just starting a conversation about the amplifier by making some claims about the tone, that I'm agreeing to take up with you: my simple statement is, "It's just Marshall/British tone. It's not relegated to a time period--in fact the entire purpose of the amp's existence is to stretch multiple decades, a retrospective, if you will, of Marshall tone." And so while the tone may be specific, the time period of that tone is very purposely stretched across about three decades of sound to choose from. (Otherwise, say, just buy a handwired Bluesbreaker or Plexi head if you just want pure vintage tone.. don't want that.)

So I'm simply picking up the thread of a conversation you seemed to want to have, and filling in some blanks to give you a fuller understanding of what the amp does, and why I'm buying it. Of course, if you feel you've fully apprehended the full library of sounds in the amp, and are not open to discussion about its versatility, that's another thing too, and your full right. But please know I don't treat gear like football teams, so it doesn't upset me. I try and drum that into people's heads (in fact I was just doing that today on FB with an old forum member who's no longer with us here), to live and let live, and try his best to not get upset about lifeless gear that someone else chooses. Apparently that's a very tall order for some. Just seeing certain gear being discussed by certain folks gets their fury rolling.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm

When you corrected me on the vintage thing I knew exactly what you were talking about and was not what I wanted to convey. That is why I said classic. And that is in a good way. I would not call it modern but then again I am not sure what that actually means.

The amp is very versatile no doubt. I am the guy who cranks every thing up until it sounds like crap and then backs it off just a smidge. It would be insulting to have an amp that good to be wasted on me. And I know I would end up putting a thirty dollar pedal in front of it to get the extra gain I need to hide my mistakes. That would make the quality of the amp almost wasted for sure. I hate pedals. So what I need short of a little delay, is the amp must provide what i am looking for. Price does not scare me. I judge on its value based on how it suits me, and somewhat its market position. That is why I own more Carvin/Kiesel than any other brand. It presents a good value to me for my needs.

I feel the price is not too much for an amplifier. Just too much for for what it offers me. I own amps that cost as much as that. I do regret one of them however. I get excited and do not listen to myself sometimes. I also try to stick to my budget. So no matter how much it is I will budget for it. I just may have to wait a bit.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Omsong wrote:IMO, I think we are all searching for a tone that speaks it's special message to us. Fortunately, there is enough gear these days in many price brackets that it's not necessary to break the bank to find it.

Modeling is almost there for me. A couple more generations of that and we will all own every amp made.

Then and only then will I play a single note. Ichi on Jobutsu :rockon:

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:12 pm

When is it arriving?
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:11 pm

48 hours.

Modeling: the one thing I think modeling will never reproduce no matter how hard they try is what I call "incidentals," the same sort of thing that electronic drums never pick up.

In the case of drums, the way the rim and skins sound together on the snare when the stick hits the outer edge and catches a little bit of rim, and the tighter area of the skin. These kinds of percussive variations in tone could even be programmed in to be triggered based on where you hit an electronic pad, but do that in one area near the rim, it sounds one way, do it without hitting the rim vs hitting the rim, totally different effect. Move it around like moving your pick bit by bit away from the bridge with all the changes in tone and attack... No jazz drummer wants to play that kind of kit, that lacks that.

Same with amps and guitars (and there are guitars sampled, pickups sampled, etc), but in terms of amps... tubes react with really pleasing phenomena with different percussive sounds going through them, and according to dynamics. Samples are just "snapshots" of what an amp did at this moment and that moment, etc, forms a composite blanket. Changes in pick attack, percussive phenomena and the way harmonics are passed thru tubes, and feedback (and reverb) they they're never going to capture those infinitude of interactive phenomena. They do come damned close though... but these little authentic "moments" and incidental oddities an amp produces, that's the beauty/tough stuff for modeling companies to grab.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:01 pm

I was going to post the song. Changed my mind. :lol:
You're welcome. :wink:
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 7.58.06 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Until then, it's just a flat out hard knock life!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 am

OMG,OMG,OMG todays the day :woot: Probably wont hear from you for a while. zYou will be busy in a good way.

We have a great shop out here that drains my retirement funds like no other. I went there last night and spent some quality time on the amp in question. Boy are you gonna have fun. I played a big brother to it as well. I cannot remember the model.
I really enjoyed it. For me I had to shake it off and get back into my nonsense so I played a Bogner Uberschall. To me that is as much fun as the carr is to you.

You had mentioned how hard it was to find or get yours. Just in case your buddies get jealous, they have them in stock and ship for free on the same day.. The black mercury was $2530. Do not know if that was competitive or not. The white one was around $2600.

If you get bored you can surf over priced guitars all day. Some are real neat. They also have a performance hall next door. Lots of clinics and shows. I took some lessons for Andy Timmons there. https://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/

Have fun.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 am

BAAA.. ARGHHHH.

I can't go get it today (it is in and waiting for me). Timing with work and store hours don't permit. I'm going to have to go grab it tomorrow AFTER work, and then bring it home. This blows hardly digested chunks.(working only until 5pm tomorrow, but working late night tonight)

That's awesome toast. Thanks for the report, I know you're a finicky guy whose played a ton of stuff, so that helps keep my mood up on this miserable, almost awesome day.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 am

(btw that 2530 is bullseye on the money what I paid)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 am

texastoast wrote:OMG,OMG,OMG todays the day :woot: Probably wont hear from you for a while. zYou will be busy in a good way.

We have a great shop out here that drains my retirement funds like no other. I went there last night and spent some quality time on the amp in question. Boy are you gonna have fun. I played a big brother to it as well. I cannot remember the model.
I really enjoyed it. For me I had to shake it off and get back into my nonsense so I played a Bogner Uberschall. To me that is as much fun as the carr is to you.

You had mentioned how hard it was to find or get yours. Just in case your buddies get jealous, they have them in stock and ship for free on the same day.. The black mercury was $2530. Do not know if that was competitive or not. The white one was around $2600.

If you get bored you can surf over priced guitars all day. Some are real neat. They also have a performance hall next door. Lots of clinics and shows. I took some lessons for Andy Timmons there. https://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/

Have fun.

You went to The Guitar Sanctuary? Another DFW-dweller here?

I need to go there at some point (I live in Arlington, so it's not much of a drive), but I've never had a real excuse to.

The Uberschall is such a fun amp. I *love* my Twin Jet (which is the most recent Uberschall revision, with an additional pre-amp presence control and the clean channel replaced with a modded-Marshall sounding semi-high gain channel). It can be tricky to dial in, since the tone stack is super-interactive and playing master vs. channel volume off of each other really changes how the amp responds, but once you get it dialed in and give it some volume, it's 100% guaranteed to leave a goofy smile on your face.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:44 am

Wow, I think I have browsed their site before, but looking through their amp lines.. Swart, Carr, Bogner, Marshall Handwired, Dr Z, Suhr, etc.. not to mention all those sweet guitar lines. That's a hell of a shop, man...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Cynical wrote:You went to The Guitar Sanctuary? Another DFW-dweller here?

I need to go there at some point (I live in Arlington, so it's not much of a drive), but I've never had a real excuse to.

If you are in Arlington I would also recommend Mike and Buzzy Murphy at Murphy's music. The are good ol boys from Quinlan. Buzzy is a fast talking enthusiastic always happy kind of guy. They both know the biz and do a lot of worship and venue sound reinforcement. They have a good inventory for a mom and pop. They can get you what ever you want pretty fast if they do not stock it.

You gotta go to the sanctuary. If you are married or have a girlfriend drop them off at the mall or ikea and head over. They are great guys. A Large percentage of the customers will not drop the coin necessary to buy almost anything there. They will still treat you great and show you around. If you happen to meet Mr. Mayor(he is/was mayor) aka the owner of the whole development there, he is down to earth and a great fun guy.

One day I went there to buy a pack of strings. They were going to have some kind of an event the next day. I did not know. Anyway I jammed with Paul Reed Smith for about a half hour and we chatted about the business. You never know who you might meet.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:52 am

Now TODAY is definitely the day.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:33 am

..and just continuing the conversation above about Guitar Sanctuary.. I never thought I'd see the day when NYC, home of Manny's, Rudy's, Sam Ash, etc etc would become so lame. Rudy's Soho is a great store (they moved off of 48th Street when that block ceased to have any musical instrument retailers anymore), obviously the place where John Suhr got his start building instruments with Rudy, and I bought my Carr from them. They're a nice mix of standard line Fenders and Gibsons with a nice selection of boutique line axes and amps (they also have a great used line, with some nice eclectic choices.. walk in there today and there's a purple early 60's Hagstrom Kent in immaculate condition for sale, featured right behind the main counter)..

But for new stuff, try and find a large selection of that kind of high end material at the NYC Sam Ash or GC and you're on a fool's errand. You can find some of it at Rudy's, or tiny boutique shops in the Village, but not a big place with lots of it all under one roof like down in Texas, Nashville, etc.

Which all is a longwinded way of me saying that I never thought I'd see the day when NYC's legendary gear stores would be so easily blown away by other cities around the country, but it's true. We don't have any stores here that look like they can compare with the Guitar Sanctuary. Maybe if you look at everything that's available thru all the NYC stores and make one big composite shop out of them, using some of the little shops in the Village, etc. Then maybe, but not under one roof. Rudy's Soho is the closest.

But nope, we've fallen very far. Which is sad, considering how many working pit musicians, show band players, gigging musicians in general there are here that need to be serviced. I guess a lot of it is they're just not asking for lots of Knaggs, Ormsby's, Collings, Carr, Swart, etc etc.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Guitar row on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood was once a very cool place to go check out, with interesting small music stores alongside larger ones, lining both sides of the street.
These days it’s just a shadow of it’s former Heyday. Times have certainly changed.

dbones Lefties

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:22 pm

A Carvin store was right across the street, or almost next door to Mesa, correct? I got a chance to go there once about a year before it closed.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm

spudmunkey wrote:A Carvin store was right across the street, or almost next door to Mesa, correct? I got a chance to go there once about a year before it closed.

Oh yeah I went there that was a cool store. and as you walked down the Blvd there were numerous small guitar shops in the late 80’s early 90’s instruments everywhere.
The Rock Walk is still there at GC with a nice collection of artists handprints

dbones Lefties

Return to Other Gear