What Christmas Gear Did You Get?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What Christmas Gear Did You Get?

Postby Brian Johnston » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 am

Curious to know what people got for gifts or bought themselves.... photos if you have them!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: What Christmas Gear Did You Get?

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:53 am

I bought myself a cheap bass... Other than that, the only gift I got at all was a bottle of wine from a vendor (I don't actually drink :lol:) that I suppose I could turn into a slide or something...

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 am

My Much better Half totally surprised me with this black beauty - a worthy replacement for the one whose neck got broken early this year (along with my heart):

The sticker covers up a dime-sized ding in the finish - probably got clipped by a mike boom. So she got a killer deal on the guitar.

I've been an ebony snob for decades but lately find myself liking rosewood more and more.

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:47 am

I got a guitar yet to be advertised (it's a new model, but heard about it through Paul Masvidal's facebook). It's a Strandberg Masvidalien Cosmo... headless. They'll have it at NAMM. What guitar is that black beauty?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:47 am

I used a Guitar Center card I got to buy a Fulltone OCD, and I also bought myself a Cmatmods Brownie pedal, and I'm waiting for a Carvin 212V cabinet to be shipped to me.

I'm thinking about getting a Quilter Microblock 45 amp, and I'm also interested in a PRS SE Custom 24 guitar but we'll see.

That Iceman (I'm guessing) is awesome! Too bad the neck on the other one broke. That has to hurt. It would be terrible even on a bolt-on.
Last edited by 2Plus2isChicken on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 am

Also picked up a Carl Martin Quattro and 2Wah (has six different wahs... three are deep and three are brighter... allows you to switch back and forth between the two).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:12 pm

I got a digitech freqout pedal. Fun stuff!

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:58 pm

I have the FreqOut... I don't use it all the time, but it certainly comes in handy for when you want feedback. I also did some compositions where I turned off the dry and created violin type effects.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but it can be shared here as well.
My wife gave me a Quilter Microblock 45 amp head.
And I'm stunned by how good it sounds.

Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

I went with the inverse, and posted more gear up for sale to downsize further. I gave up on the gift part years ago, so I usually get small stuff anyway, like a good pair of socks, or warm hat for when things are frosty. Any cash usually goes for bills. Ah well. Some cool looking guitars in here otherwise.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:24 pm

Casual Madman wrote:My Much better Half totally surprised me with this black beauty - a worthy replacement for the one whose neck got broken early this year (along with my heart):

The sticker covers up a dime-sized ding in the finish - probably got clipped by a mike boom. So she got a killer deal on the guitar.

I've been an ebony snob for decades but lately find myself liking rosewood more and more.

Is that new or used? You rarely see that very"stripey" rosewood anymore. I bet it's Indian.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:22 pm

My dad sent some strings to me for xmas - some daddario 10's for the electrics (most of them), and elixir 12s for the acoustics.
I was playing with acoustic 11s for a while for gigs but went back to 12s. They just sound better to my ear.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:49 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Is that new or used? You rarely see that very"stripey" rosewood anymore. I bet it's Indian.

Several people have mistaken this Ibanez Destroyer for an Iceman (probably because of the glossy black and sexy curves). It's a 2013 model from China. Much Better Half picked it up at a local pawnshop. I found it mid-November, in the Facebook marketplace, showed it to her thinking maybe I could wheedle her into letting me get it since they were negotiable on an already low price. She shot me down in flames and I figured I'd never see it again. Gotta love a wife who can think ahead like that.

Y'know, I've got some similarly nice rosewood on my Chinese "Custom Shop" Epiphone Les Paul, too.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:55 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:That Iceman (I'm guessing) is awesome! Too bad the neck on the other one broke. That has to hurt. It would be terrible even on a bolt-on.

Yeah, close your eyes if you don't like pictures of graphic violence - here's the old Destroyer:

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:47 pm

Oh no! I hope you try to get that fixed. A good luthier could probably glue it and it would be stronger than ever.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 am

:hijack:

2Plus2isChicken wrote:A good luthier could probably glue it and it would be stronger than ever.

Yeah, "good" would be the operative word. The headstock came completely off after that picture was taken. I trusted it to an oldtimer (and friend) who said he'd done dozens of such repairs - but his eyesight isn't what it used to be, and the resulting joint is both uneven and unstable - the guitar won't even stay in tune anymore. Lesson learned.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:36 am

Hey man, gotta love a wife who buys you ANY guitar, let alone is that creative, and tactical by specifically first knocking down your hopes of grabbing a guitar she knew you liked... So she could sneakily tiptoe to the shop and tweeze it immediately for you so you'd be that blown away happy. Things like this make me lament being single. Congrats on the faithful gal and the cool guitar. I wish you still had Molly, but that's ok.

I picture her like this after she shot down your hopes of getting the guitar and planning to immediately buy it for Christmas

https://youtu.be/3uSTOHa4Im4

And then tiptoeing to the pawn shop with this sound effect:
https://youtu.be/ZafZLCmjYDE

PS.. I'd never mistake Ice"men" for a Destroyer. I watched too much kiss when I was younger and instantly associate and recognize that shape as some sort of Paul Stanley Eisen special (I know he had his own sig). I thought Paul sounded and looked best when he played his Firebird, before or after the black paint job. He's playing it in my favorite concert clip of them off all (in imo their best year), in Winterland 75.

I promise i won't do yet another YouTube window of the ragged, testosterone fueled, pre big-time kiss doing 100,000 Years from that show. But I also promise I'm lying. With a Firebird loaded with a bridge mini humbucker, a Les Paul Deluxe with DiMartino SDs, and Grabber bass, this is what 70's Gibson sounds like.

https://youtu.be/9GKhMFAhqmk

I've never known a band that I liked so much in my early years (when I was a wee lad and they ruled the world), STILL like to see clips of them from back then... That I despise so hugely today, both as people and as touring musicians. I started hating them by 1980 (and you guys probably don't care, I'm just venting), and when the makeup came off and they went full metal, I had advanced on my instrument and was into FZ, Crimson, Hendrix, cream, eventually jazz and classical, etc. But Gene and Paul of the present day, good Lord... Just vomit City.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

Casual Madman wrote:My Much better Half totally surprised me with this black beauty - a worthy replacement for the one whose neck got broken early this year (along with my heart):

My first real guitar was a Destroyer the color of this lad's version.

156549170.jpg

The shape of the neck never felt comfy to me but it was all I could get for $100 then. Bought it used from some dude on a radio garage sale ad. It came with 2 Lp's tucked in the case.....Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning! If my parents had seen those the deal would have been toast.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:18 pm

ioneater wrote:The shape of the neck never felt comfy to me but it was all I could get for $100 then.

I love the necks on these - not at all like the typical flat/thin Ibanez profile, very much akin to the Gibson "SlimTaper" and also feel quite like the Carvin necks I have owned.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 am

Posted this on a different thread, but it was my xmas gift to myself so it is eligible for this thread :D Gibson ES 330, fully hollow.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Return to Other Gear