24 Fret Dilemma: Gibson SG 70's Tribute vs. PRS SE Custom 24

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Leddiebonavaughan

24 Fret Dilemma: Gibson SG 70's Tribute vs. PRS SE Custom 24

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 am

Hi all!

I posted recently about the PRS SE Custom 24 and whether or not it is a quality instrument. I'v decided that it's definitely a worthy guitar to replace my Jackson DK2L. But I came across a Gibson SG 70's Tribute that has 24 frets. So now I'm trying to compare the PRS SE to the Gibson SG and decide which would suit me better.

I'd really like your thoughts on which guitar is a better player/has better components.

The main differences between the PRS and the Gibson are as follows:

PRS

15/85 coil tapped pickups
maple neck
maple top
Tremolo
25" scale
Import
Gloss finish

SG 70's Tribute

Dirty Fingers true humbuckers
mahogany neck
hard tail top bar tailpiece
24.75" scale
USA made
Thin satin finish

Some of these things aren't necessarily an issue. For example, as long as it's not a floyd trem, I don't really care about whether or not it's a trem or a hard tail. The scale might be an issue, but depending on what strings I'm using, I can get either guitar playing the tension I want. What I can't decide is which guitar is better quality and whether or not I can live without a coil tap.

Additionally, I already have an SG standard with '57 classics in it, but it's not 24 frets, which is what this is all about. Plus, the Dirty Fingers are hotter, which is appropriate as I will likely be using this guitar for more heavy rock and metal.

I will eventually be selling my Jackson to help fund this purchase, but it will happen post acquisition. Thank you very much for reading and thank you in advance for any and all comments and thoughts!

-Leddie

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: 24 Fret Dilemma: Gibson SG 70's Tribute vs. PRS SE Custom 24

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 am

Could you post a link to the specific SG?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 pm

I come from a function before form mindset, and that will dominate my opinion.

A few functional differences would be the vibrato on the PRS; and I've heard the arguments for or against, but generally the reviews seem positive. As a vibrato lover, and with the versatility afforded by having one, the PRS gets my first vote.

As far as tuning stability, the PRS has a straighter string pull than the Gibson, in both axes. Add to that Gibson's slight notoriety for headstock breaking if dropped. PRS arguably has the stronger neck joint (I would argue that it does). Another vote to PRS

Fit and finish: I've seen some of these lower prices Gibsons in person, and they're alright, but honestly, the PRS SE struck me as having better fit and finish; and I'm not even a PRS fan (actually don't care for 'em), but will totally admit they can nail the finish. Some dislike it, and call it too thick, glossy, whatever. It not only comes down to that, but fretwork, and that is where I feel Gibson falls down a few rungs. Every SE I've played has actually played fine, intonated properly, and has been a functional (if uninspiring to me) tool. Gibsons have left me feeling that the instruments were rushed, and this is even on more expensive $3k LPs. Vote for the SE

Pickups: The Dirty Fingers is a pretty hot pickup, generally liked from what I've read. I don't mind the sound. SEs I often see on the used market with replacement pickups. They are what they are, and if you don't like 'em, try a pickup swap (maybe some Carvin/Kiesel models). It's a wash. NOTE: Gibson's site shows "twin blade mini humbuckers" for the pickups. That may be cool, or not. Again, it's a wash.

Controls/electronics: I vastly prefer the simplified master tone/volume controls of the SE, and never cared for the dual tone/volume on a Gibson. Plus the SE has a coil tap. Vote for the SE

Ergonomics: Not a big fan of either guitar shape, but the SE is more comfortable to me (a 6'3" 220 lb. guy). Upper fret access also seems better, and the carved top will definitely offer better wrist ergonomics. The SG has an edge bevel that can lend itself to forearm anchoring a little better. I lean toward the SE again.

Warranty: 2 years for the SE, and lifetime for the SG. To me, it's a wash, as I've never cashed in on warranty repairs, since it's cheaper for me to fix it myself than mail something to a factory, or drive a few hours to a store. A wash, though one has to question the likelihood of needing said warranty. I've heard little complaints on a PRS SE overall, and about the same for an SG, though I've not specifically noticed the submodel (Epiphone, Gibson manufacture, or anything else), so that's completely unreliable.

This is coming from someone who does not like them (or Gibson for that matter). Each has their place, but if I had to choose one, I'd go for the PRS. I've never been afraid of a Korean-made guitar; some I've owned have been extremely well made and have rivaled much more expensive pieces.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Why not continue this dialogue in your other thread?

Also, weren't you frustrated with having tuning issues with your FR tremolo bridge?

Anyway, in this case I would go with the PRS. I have not been very impressed with those lowered price Gibsons. Dollar per dollar I think the PRS would be a winner is most areas.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

Hello everyone!

I apologize for neglecting the responses here. Life changes cropped up and I had to keep a close on eye on those things rather than the forums.

Here's a direct link to the SG in question: https://reverb.com/item/7438743-gibson- ... burst-mint

Here's a direct link to the PRS in question: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... mpas-green

To be honest, the PRS is what gives me butterflies. I'd love to get my hands on one and try it out. I DO like the Gibson though, and I'm excited about the fact that it comes standard with locking tuners. I also like the price of the Gibson as well, as I do have other pieces of equipment I need at the moment besides guitars.

Bob, continuing it on the other thread probably would have made sense. I hastily threw this post together when I discovered the SGs.

Yes I am pretty much over the Floyd Rose Platform. I don't hate it, but I find it simply too involved for me at the moment. More upkeep than I care for and outside of an original floyd, they're very pitchy. I recently discovered the Vader and the Zeus style of trems with the headless neck and I think if I'm going to try anything of the nature, I will save up and purchase one of those models. I really like the simplicity of the system.

Again, I apologize for the delay in my responding. Thank you for your replies and thoughts thus far. Any more comments pertaining to the quality of each instrument or your thoughts in general are sincerely appreciated!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 am

Note that the headless trem on the Zeus and the Vader is based on the Hipshot Contour, which is even easier as the stings just feel through the back like a "normal" trem, but still have the same Contour-style bearing edges. I don't have personal experience to compare them, but though it was worth mentioning that you wouldn't need to go headless to get a similar trem from Keisel. :)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am

What I would do? I would save a little longer (if I was choosing between a PRS and an SG but keeping it well under say 2K) and buy the SG standard in that reddish amber Autumn Shade. Love the way it looks, and it's got a bit more quality than the tribute since it is a Standard:

Supposedly they're using these new 61 PAF recreations which duplicate the sound of those short mag 61 PAF's that were on that first round of "1961 Les Paul Standards" which were actually the first year of the SG.

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:49 pm

/\
I support this recommendation :mrgreen: I'm diggin' that SG!

I also support the recommendation of waiting until one can afford the guitar one really wants :wink:

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 pm

If I didn't already have a 2017 SG STD 4 feet from me, I'd probably go that route too! lol. My SG is among my top 2 guitars at the moment. I absolutely love it(my other top guitar is my Carvin Bolt +).

My issue is simply trying to get out of this Floyd equipped Jackson in favor of something either hard tail or traditional Trem with 24 frets. The number of frets is the main issue at the moment. I can deal with that, just don't want to mess with the Floyd anymore. I hardly use it these days.

I'd like to get a USA PRS, but being left handed, I've never seen one for less than $3k (used) and that's not an expenditure that I can lightly consider at this time. If I had the freed up funds, I'd probably build a CT3 24, but that's still a bit high for me at the moment. That's why the SE is so attractive.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 pm

I stopped by guitar center on the way home. The SG they had looked way more red (and I did double check the color on the tag) than it appears on my phone's screen. No longer a fan. :lol:

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 am

May I ask...what are the reasons why you specifically "need" 24 frets?

Leddiebonavaughan

Postby Leddiebonavaughan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Haha! Spud, I'm a Heritage Cherry guy. It's my favorite color for SGs. I like trans finishes and the grain is just gorgeous. My next favorite is the natural they did a while back. Anyway...

Bob, I am replacing my Jackson DK2L if possible. It's not imperative now, but every year, I end up performing Trans-Siberian Orchestra stuff and in a number of their pieces, they make use of the 24th fret. In addition to that, I enjoy having the Octave E when possible. It just adds another level to arpeggios and the tonal palette.

I made it through the Christmas season (when most of the TSO stuff happens) this year, so it's not pressing. But I'm continuing my search because I plan on making the purchase once I nail down which guitar I really want.

Return to Other Gear