Carvin Audio is BACK!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Carvin Audio is BACK!

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 pm

texastoast wrote:
I personally (as in my own opinion you can do what you like) can not understand why I would want to buy a 400 buck pedal that I must push through some type of amp that had to cost something, when I can just buy the amp it is modeled after for $900 and be done. Or in the case of say the x100 I can buy used in great shape for $350 all day long.

It's definitely a niche market, because it seems to be targeting touring musicians almost more than anything. If I remember the videos for the Vai pedal correctly, it's specifically designed for him to throw in a bag and no matter where he plugs in, he can get something close to "his" sound, whether it's a PA or just using a power amp section of a guitar amp.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:They're probably going to come out with an X100-B pedal.

Also, this whole situation is weird. They had everybody convinced they were gone for good. That can't be good for business.

That would be completely impossible. The amp has no core sound aside from the thick chime/headroom and poetry of four big power tubes. The drive channel and the general sound of the amp is like several amps in one once you get good with the active pots, which is pretty much the point of the unique circuit.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:53 am

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:55 am

I don't like that the foot switches are not labeled.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:00 am

I don't doubt that they would build it, but it's not going to sound like the x100b. The drive channel is not the primary part of what made that amp so great, and without the four big bottles in the power section, it's impossible to recreate that legendary super high headroom clean tone.

A for effort though, but I'm guessing as many people are going to goof active circuitry on a pedal as they would on the amp, and stay with something simple.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I don't doubt that they would build it, but it's not going to sound like the x100b. The drive channel is not the primary part of what made that amp so great, and without the four big bottles in the power section, it's impossible to recreate that legendary super high headroom clean tone.

A for effort though, but I'm guessing as many people are going to goof active circuitry on a pedal as they would on the amp, and stay with something simple.

Much of that amp's distortion came from the preamp side. Most high gain amps do that anyway, since the early days of Marshall and their plexi super lead. It's a cascading gain. That's why the Quad X gets so insane.

But, there are other factors in this. Partially you have the phase-inverter breaking down/distorting. The power tubes surprisingly do very little, as each tube (a 6L6GC usually in the X100b, unless one has the later EL34) is capable of 30W output power at 1.8% in the push/pull class AB way they run in the amp. Considering they're running at 25W per tube, that distortion decreases further. With that kind of distortion, it can possibly add something, but not everyone is going to hear it, and it will be harmonic content.

EL34 tubes are about the same. Also, adding negative feedback to the tube will decrease output distortion further. High gain amps tend to run less, but usually have some (unless they're Vox).

The pedal, if still using the active tone controls plus the EQ, should sound pretty similar (doubt it'll be identical, but I'd have to play with it). Surprisingly, most of the distortion comes from one (or two) gain stages in the amp, and is basically how Marshall did it for years. Sometimes adding an additional gain stage was used to hot rod amps (Marshalls had a half tube unused). Or, changing the various resistors/caps can completely change how a tube operates.

Outside of that, the pedal likely has no phase inverter, and plugging into any tube power amp would provide that, so you'd have that amp's PI distorting. Could be good, or not, but many guitar amps are very similar. What this does give you, if running to a tube power amp, is a nice remotely located preamp that might be easier to adjust instead of going back to an amp. Also can give the sound you need if using an unknown power amp. Would it sound the same with a transistor output stage? At high gain, probably not much different, assuming the transistor amp had enough power. When those things distort, it's usually ugly and harsh.

Once it goes through a guitar amp speaker, we could do a more real life comparison. If using the pre and the cab output filter to go to a PA, I doubt it's going to sound too similar. Might not be bad, but I've never met a filtered output that sounded exactly like the cabinet to my ears (which don't respond like a microphone).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:13 am

texastoast wrote:...
I personally (as in my own opinion you can do what you like) can not understand why I would want to buy a 400 buck pedal that I must push through some type of amp that had to cost something, when I can just buy the amp it is modeled after for $900 and be done. Or in the case of say the x100 I can buy used in great shape for $350 all day long.

For some reason, I kinda want the X1, but your logic is 1 of the detractors (plus lack of reverb - but it is a pedal, I know - but I like a splash of rvb w/o any external factors). Plus some of the other criticisms people have added here I didn't think of.
It does have labels for the switches, its just on the grey part of the pedal (I thought they were missing too, but saw them in other photos. But it would be miles better on the white chasis by the switches).

I thought it'd be a great living room - plug-in low volume (1W) X100 deal, so I wouldn't have to bring out my X100 head + 2x12 and crowd out my V3M.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 am

Cow: That's (re the preamp contribution to the gain) virtually a repeat of what I said... Almost all (at sane volume, at least) of the amps distortion came from the preamp side, the headroom is so high. I've been using it for 33 years straight without interruption. What I'm saying is that the drive channel is only a partial component of what makes this amp the miracle that it is. It's an extremely pure, very tube centric amp. Most users don't like the drive channel because they don't know how to control it, and don't know how active electronics work on an amp. They throw all their pots on our near ten like they do elsewhere, hate the sound, and sell it. Thus one of the most beautiful amps ever made goes for peanuts in the used market.

It's the clean channel on the amp, which absolutely is defined by the tube sound of four 6L6 bottles, that, on full 100 watts RMS, almost cannot be driven to Plexi style power stage gain (why do you think I want a Mercury V? For power tube side gain at bearable volume), with near infinite headroom, that's at least fifty percent of what makes the amp and colors the sound to create the sum output when the drive channel is pushed out though the speakers. If power tubes didn't have a definable sound... Well... That's just apprehension of tube basics.

It's the beauty of this channel, combined with the incredible versatility of the tone suite with the foot switch, that make the sum total magical for jazz heads, classic rock guys, metal heads, and everybody else in between. Isolating the drive channel with the tone circuit is nice, but misses the bigger, overall miracle imho.

For the price it will likely cost, I'd just buy a used head :lol:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 pm

True, I could find an X100b in great shape for very little. Who knows, I might try one again.

The one thing Carvin amps have always impressed me with are the cleans. The Vintage series has it, the MTS3200 has it, the X100b has it, and the Legacy series has the same (to me) sound as the X series. I've played Fenders; Carvin puts them to shame with a better sounding clean (better EQ to my ear).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Yup-- Fender has always laid down the law in terms of ideal clean channels. The clean channel on the original Series III X is beyond that. And IMHO more poetically, tubetically, six-el-setically (?), beautiful. It shimmers like very few other amps do, and with the original triple spring Hammond tank in it, the beauty is just unspeakable.

I mean look--and immaculate 1984 head:
https://reverb.com/item/9680022-carvin- ... lack-tolex

UNder 400! :lol:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:22 pm

This is a doomed-to-fail model. Oof.

In a world in which everything on the floor is getting smaller, they're offering a giant four-button graphic-EQ laden behemoth that won't fit nicely on a pedalboard along with other essentials? I get that they're going for a SansAmp kind of thing here, but the only pro that I know of that uses one of those is Richie Kotzen, and he uses that with his signature Victory amp for just delay, boost, and reverb.

When I heard PixxyLixxx (I guess now "Steve from Boston") mention that Carvin Audio was getting into the pedal game, my ears perked up. I was hoping they were going to offer a line of gain stompboxes that mirrored the sounds of the old amp line, but these gargantuan devices are kind of ridiculous. If Friedman, Mesa, and Suhr can get their boutique amp sound into a stomp box-sized unit, surely Carvin Audio should be able to do the same, unless they're clueless or lazy.

The plan would be super simple and easy: design stomp box sized pedals to mirror the old amps - pedals designed to be a "dirty amp in a box" meant to be played into clean amps. There should be a V3 modern high gain model, an X100 classic gain pedal, and so on down the line.

I just can't imagine a world in which these things become a viable business, but maybe I'm wrong.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:28 pm

ah, never mind. [DELETED] I don't want to be so negative. I wish them all the luck in the world.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm

How innovative....another company specializing on guitar pedals :lol:

Perhaps there will be more stuff coming up later on, but if it's just pedals..oh well..
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Conspicuously missing a "Made in USA" label...

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Personally I didn't care for the X100B after owning the Series IV twice, once with EL34's and once with 6L6es. The gain channel was decent, not absolutely amazing, and the clean sounded good until you tried to use it as a platform for distortion pedals. Every distortion pedal I tried with that amp sounded like bees, and no matter what I did there was no way to adjust the graphic EQ to make the amp sound how I wanted it to. If an amp doesn't work as a basic clean platform for distortion pedals I really have no use for it, because sometimes I just want a dirt sound besides what the amp's gain channel has.

The X1 pedal does seem to have some features that were glaring omissions on the X100B, such as footswitchable gain boost. I also don't recall being able to assign the graphic EQ to one channel, neither channel or both channels like the pedal allows.

Also, did I hear correctly that the pedal has its own low-wattage power amp? I wonder if that means you can connect it directly to a cabinet? That would be very nice.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:50 pm

??? Right on the face of the amp are three switches: one assigns the EQ to lead or rhythm, the second is standby, and third is amp on and off.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:47 pm

The Series IV doesn't have those three switches in a row. It does have the assignable EQ, but does not allow you to assign it to both channels like the pedal does. I'm not sure how assigning it to both will expand tonal options.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Series IV.

The first 3 switches on the head
https://reverb.com/item/7974972-carvin- ... _BwE&pla=1
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:18 am

If nothing else,,,,,,it has inspired me to remove the cover and fire up my X-100 (6L6).

I guess everybody has their own opinion/experience with this amp. I always found it to be a phenomenal platform for pedals. Especially High gain. I always ran it through a 1x12 Thiele style cab, with an EVM 12L, that came stock in the amp. It has a BRUTAL thumping, crushing tone, that is LOUD. I always felt this amp could easily blow out other speakers.
The only time I felt I could use more volume, was in a practice studio that was WAAAAAAY over sound proofed (every square inch). When I first walked into the room, It felt like my equilibrium was out of whack. Anyone ever experience that? Weird feeling.

I would like to see the Carvin brand continue, and be successful. A lot of History there.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:45 am

Wherever the EQ switch is located, I specifically remember it being assignable to only one channel or the other, not both. The new pedal allows both.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16