V3 Footswitch Tech Question - FS44M

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

V3 Footswitch Tech Question - FS44M

Postby X1Glider » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Got a question about the footswitch for the Gen 1 V3.

I'd used a midi floorboard in the past to switch channels on my Gen 1 V3. Now I would like to go simple. It is stated on the Carvin Audio website that the FS44M will not work with the Gen 1 and that the FS uses momentary footswitches.

I could care less if my Gen 1 V3 will power those LEDs in the FS. But will those momentary switches not work at all to switch channels and turn on/off the boost?

If it really will work, I'd sure like to buy it. Naturally, I'd also pick up the FS22 as well.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: V3 Footswitch Tech Question - FS44M

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm

The type of footswitch is important. If it's not the right kind, a momentary will only hold the change as long as you're holding down the button (if it works at all).

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I get that. I wasn't sure that the Gen 1 V3 required a latching switch. Hence my reason for asking. My hope is that only the LEDs are inoperable but the FS44M works properly for the important part, switching channels (and holding it).

I'd ask Carvin Audio directly, but there's no way to contact them yet. Who knows if they'll even answer questions on anything other than their new pedals.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 pm

X1Glider wrote:I get that. I wasn't sure that the Gen 1 V3 required a latching switch. Hence my reason for asking. My hope is that only the LEDs are inoperable but the FS44M works properly for the important part, switching channels (and holding it).

I'd ask Carvin Audio directly, but there's no way to contact them yet. Who knows if they'll even answer questions on anything other than their new pedals.

I know the amps state what is correct on the back. For what ever that is worth. I have never tried to cross them. And the lighted ones take power in so I do not know if the pin out is the same. I just looked at the cord ends and they sure look the same. The fs 44m series are momentary and the fs22 and fs44 and 44l is maintain.

This should help ;http://carvinimages.com/documents/footswitches/fs-reference-mar2015.pdf

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:27 pm

That's some useful info there. Doesn't appear the FS44M will work at all for me.

Maybe I could just swap out those switches. But as you say, if power goes into the FS, then maybe the pin-outs aren't quite the same either. Might even be some circuit board in there instead of just wires going direct to switches.

Really wish I had a schematic. And I have no idea where my V3 manual is. Maybe there was some pin-out info in it.

Worst case scenario, I order the FS44M, get some new switches, then ask for someone to remove the back panel on their FS44 and take a picture so I can see the wire colors and where they go.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 pm

manual here
https://carvinaudio.com/pages/guitar-amp-manuals

Maybe something here on the amp end that will help
https://carvinaudio.com/pages/schematics-archive

If you look at the fs33 it shows how different resistor values change the channel. Sneaky buggers. That is how they get away with only 5 pins and many functions.

http://carvinimages.com/schematics/fs33_sch.pdf
Last edited by texastoast on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:00 pm

I will also be glad to dissect my pedal when and if the time comes. You can PM me if you wish. I hope they do not get mad. they generally do not like us discussing carvinaudio here. But with them closed and all whats a brother ta do?

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 pm

texastoast wrote:manual here
https://carvinaudio.com/pages/guitar-amp-manuals

Maybe something here on the amp end that will help
https://carvinaudio.com/pages/schematics-archive

If you look at the fs33 it shows how different resistor values change the channel. Sneaky buggers. That is how they get away with only 5 pins and many functions.

http://carvinimages.com/schematics/fs33_sch.pdf

The V3 amp schematic is useful as far as tracing the pin-outs but makes no sense to me how the +5V is getting to the pedal. It isn't coming from the jack. From the shield? That would be weird as that's usually a ground path. :think:

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. :wall:

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:22 pm

texastoast wrote:I will also be glad to dissect my pedal when and if the time comes. You can PM me if you wish. I hope they do not get mad. they generally do not like us discussing carvinaudio here. But with them closed and all whats a brother ta do?

This is a section for "other gear" and there's a lot of amp discussion going on. So I don't know why this would be a problem. I can only guess if there is, it's because the split is more "personal" than they all let on.

But I'll gladly take you up on the offer to dissect your pedal. As I work for a fab company, I could just laser and bend my own chassis, then put in the appropriate cable and switches if I really need to. But I definitely want to do this.

Glissentothis

Postby Glissentothis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:51 am

X1 Glider: One pin is ground, the other four sit at +5v (the input of a chip is pulled to +5v by the 10k resistors in the amp).
The V3 gen1 looks for a change, either 0v>5v or 5v>0v.
The only goofy switch will be the Boost (labeled Effects on the FS44M) the Boost will toggle twice, (once switching the fs down, once when you let go) I think you could replace just that one? You'll probably have to cut the LEDs.

If you get the FS44L-V3M, you could cut the LEDs and re-wire the switches:
I found this schematic (nevermind the Voodoo parts)
http://www.dirtyhurricane.com/gear/carvinfs.jpg

Here's the V3 gen1 schematic for the footswitch inputs logic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am

Glissentothis wrote:X1 Glider: One pin is ground, the other four sit at +5v (the input of a chip is pulled to +5v by the 10k resistors in the amp).
The V3 gen1 looks for a change, either 0v>5v or 5v>0v.
The only goofy switch will be the Boost (labeled Effects on the FS44M) the Boost will toggle twice, (once switching the fs down, once when you let go) I think you could replace just that one? You'll probably have to cut the LEDs.

If you get the FS44L-V3M, you could cut the LEDs and re-wire the switches:
I found this schematic (nevermind the Voodoo parts)
http://www.dirtyhurricane.com/gear/carvinfs.jpg

Here's the V3 gen1 schematic for the footswitch inputs logic:

Thanks for the extra info. Do you have a much larger image of that V3 gen 1 schematic? I can't read a thing on the one you posted.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 am

So, I finally got a hold of a FS-44M yesterday as no plain FS-44 is for sale by anyone, anywhere. Here's what I found out:

1. According to the respective schematics, the Pin-Outs are the same for both FS models. The only difference is the addition of an LED circuit for each switch.

2. When plugged into a gen 1 V3, every one of the LEDs light up. The schematic shows the switches as normally-open. If that were the case, the LEDs shouldn't work based on the direction the diodes are drawn. They should only get power if the switch is closed. Yet, all the LEDs are on at the same time.

3. Nothing happens as far as switching inside the amp is concerned. The head is still on the same channel as when I last used it. Even if I press and hold down every button but one (trying to pretend to be latching), no switching occurs. I wonder if the LEDS are passing the signal through. And if all switches are active, then the head is confused on what to do?

4. The 44M schematic states the switches are momentary. The plain ole 44 doesn't say anything about what type of switch. But TexasToast stated earlier that they are latching. I opened up the 44M and the switches are completely devoid of any nomenclature. Not even a manufacturer name.

With those things in mind and since the pin-outs are exactly the same:

1. I wondered if simply clipping the diode leads would do the trick? Or...

2. If I replace the switched to a latching type, would it then work (including the LEDs)?

3. If changing out the switches didn't work, would it be the LEDs being the problem? Passing a signal? (confusing the head still?) In that case, the clipping the LED leads solving the problem?

It looks like such a simple schematic, for the FS anyway, but I have no idea how the IC in the V3 head uses the signals.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:28 am

Texas Toast, can you see if there's any nomenclature on your switches, please? Then I can at least shop for the right ones.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Just be advised it is a resistor network and not simple switches.

i will have to take them apart. Give me a bit.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Ok the mystery continues. First of all as tested the 44 and the 44l both have maintain (latching) switches. I found no resistors so I do not know where I came up with that. But Up until a minute ago I would have sworn it was. The only physical difference is the led attached to the same two pole as the wires.

The only nomenclature on the switches them selves is 250v and 5 amp.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:02 pm

You might be thinking about the resistors inside the head after the plug . I thought all those do is lower the voltage down to 5V for the IC that decides what to do with the signal. But, no resistors in the footswitch.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:06 pm

texastoast wrote:Just be advised it is a resistor network and not simple switches.

i will have to take them apart. Give me a bit.

Take your time. I waited this long to actually get started. So many projects ....

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm

texastoast wrote:The only nomenclature on the switches them selves is 250v and 5 amp.

Well that's more than mine state.

I found a source for the footswitch. About 4 or 5 bucks each. Then I'll proceed with the steps I outlined above. If it works out then I won't regret that I sold the Ground Control Pro. Man, I was so tired of messing around with midi programming
. Back to basics for me.

Rusty84

Postby Rusty84 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:36 pm

HI, I had the same problem. I bought a FS44M foot switch to work my Carvin V3 head and the found out mine is the series 1 and it didn't work.
Well I got it work !!
I sussed it all out with a multimeter. I just had to disconnect the leds and change the boost switch to a latching type. The others do not have to be changed. Works perfect. :)

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Are you serious? Just the boost switch needs to be changed?

I will try that first, I just bought 4 latching switches and will solder it in tonight if I can. If it works, I have 3 spare switches to use in maybe making a few FX pedals. (Just trying to make myself feel better about spending 4X as much as I needed to :lol: )

Return to Other Gear