Someone PLease Explain The Million $ Washburn...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Someone PLease Explain The Million $ Washburn...

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:20 am

Listing here.

This guitar is listed at $999,999, with this description:

One of these metallic silver Dime Bag Darrell Model guitar was given to Dallas Hard Rock Café in 2003. This particular color of guitar was never offered to the public for sale. that being said only 2-7 were only made from what Washburn guitar told me & that the last time that they've seen this guitar was when it was finished before sending them off to Dime Bag Darrell to be given to his closes friends or to keep them himself, everything from the guitar is original and still intact. Washburn themselves told me to set the pricing for this particular guitar at 1 Million dollars.
Product Specs
Condition:Good (Used) Brand:Washburn Model:0103032Finish:Platinum with GlitterYear:2003Made In:United States
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Someone PLease Explain The Million $ Washburn...

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am

So they're basically saying It's worth a million dollars because there were few made...?

Wow! Imagine what my one-of-a-kind Kiesel/Carvin guitars could sell for!!! :lol: :laughhard:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:29 am

I know. This kid is Image
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:22 pm

For all we know that could be an aftermarket finish. Plus I wouldn't give a nickel, much less a million dollars for any Dimebag Darrell guitar. There's nothing appealing about them.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Washburn themselves told me to set the pricing for this particular guitar at 1 Million dollars.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 am

A Pantera fan's wet dream, I suppose, assuming it's not a refinish. For a million dollar guitar, they should have a certificate of authenticity, as well as a list of owners as a pedigree of sorts. Like two trains crashing head on, I must watch this one, and expect someone will eventually purchase this oversized slab of mediocrity.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 am

This guy's grammar is atrocious. The sentence structure is dreadful! I'm not sure he has the mental capacity to ask for a million dollars....

I should contact Washburn to verify the claims. :mrgreen:

Who knows...maybe he is correct in it's value? But on the other hand it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:43 am

Do you have any papers from Washburn that could validate it's authenticity? Perhaps also a list of previous owners? Thanks.

I just messaged this to the seller. I'll post the response if I get one. :D

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 am

Brock wrote:This guy's grammar is atrocious. The sentence structure is dreadful! I'm not sure he has the mental capacity to ask for a million dollars....

Who knows...maybe he is correct in it's value? But on the other hand it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

Someone should contact Washburn anyway, since the person who made the ad is citing them as a direct source/deity that told them how to price. Either a lie, or someone at Washburn spent too much time cleaning out the curing oven. MEK will make a person do/say weird stuff.

Other notes I saw after my post: it's missing knobs. Probably not a refinish due to the Buzz Feiten decal on back. Looks to use a B&B L500, and not the BLUSA, so the pickup itself could either be just a regular L500XL, or possibly a prototype that B&B never received back (it happened).

Also, how is the non-sequitur of Hard Rock Cafe going to have any bearing on the sale of this guitar? "Oooh, one exists somewhere else, at some restaurant that is loosely related to rock music" Yup, and my turds get washed into the recycled water like the rest of 'em. Sorry, my sardonic side came out to play.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 am

UnexplodedCow wrote: Yup, and my turds get washed into the recycled water like the rest of 'em.

:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am

UnexplodedCow wrote: Looks to use a B&B L500, and not the BLUSA, so the pickup itself could either be just a regular L500XL, or possibly a prototype that B&B never received back (it happened).

Wouldn't this prove it a fake? Dimebag used the BLUSA (and then B&B spent years claiming he used the B&B, even though Washburn had invoices proving otherwise...).

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am

Cynical wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote: Looks to use a B&B L500, and not the BLUSA, so the pickup itself could either be just a regular L500XL, or possibly a prototype that B&B never received back (it happened).

Wouldn't this prove it a fake? Dimebag used the BLUSA (and then B&B spent years claiming he used the B&B, even though Washburn had invoices proving otherwise...).

From what I've read/seen over the years, I think both were used, and Washburn sourced whatever was available. What I distinctly remember is that B&B supposedly supplied a small batch of prototypes, called "XL500" that was also supposedly leaked to SD who then came out with the Dimebucker. If this is actually a real, rare guitar, I would not be surprised if it has a prototype pickup in it, too. I'm by no means an expert on the subject, and it's been heavily debated over the years. Functionally it doesn't matter, but as far as determining if the guitar is real or fake, I'd look more at the inconsistent "made in USA" stamping on the back of the headstock than the pickup.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:34 pm

My understanding of the topic comes pretty much entirely from several threads on the Seymour Duncan forum, but I'd take the XL500 story with a grain of salt. Duncan claims that Dimebag came to them with a normal L500XL and asked for "that, but with more treble", and they went from there. It's possible that he had already started a similar process with Bill Lawrence, but given his dubious Dimebag related claims in the past (he's claimed that Dimebag only used his version of the pickup and his was the only way to get the Pantera sound... uh, no), I suspect this was made up after the fact.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Oh, I could make a joke about how to get the Pantera sound.....but I won't.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Oh, I could make a joke about how to get the Pantera sound.....but I won't.

Let me guess -- it involves showers and the margins of illuminated manuscripts, right? :laughhard:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:Oh, I could make a joke about how to get the Pantera sound.....but I won't.

Dooo it!!!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 am

Doctor Turn wrote:

Dooo it!!!

One of us....one of us.....one of us....

Nah, I'll avoid opening up the proverbial can of hate that would be spewed my way. I tried voicing my opinion once, and the person was actually wanting to punch me. He was incensed because "Dime was self taught, and one of the most original guitar players! Who do you think is better? Yngwie?" I replied "Yup." He called me a fanboy and made some empty threats.

I will say the best tone I ever heard of Pantera was in Cemetery Gates, at the 3:00 mark. Check it out; I think you'll agree.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am

Brock wrote:This guy's grammar is atrocious. The sentence structure is dreadful! I'm not sure he has the mental capacity to ask for a million dollars....

I was thinking about the listing and what someone was really willing to pay. That statement is always true. I have been guilty of forgetting that when looking around.
The point of his grammar not making him smart is not a very smart one to make. Many extremely intelligent people lack a small skill somewhere here or there. You can be a genius and not do well with a pen. I always laugh at the grammar police. Especially when they are just splitting hairs. I think a lot of them are just trying to make themselves feel better by pointing out something they do better. I suck at grammar. It is something I have never been interested in. And as long as you get my point I really do not care. I do not feel any less intelligent, just not as passionate. People may judge me. But if you have seen the way I walk and dress, I have bigger problems than grammar.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am

Doctor Turn wrote:

Dooo it!!!

Here:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am

Doctor Doug wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:

Dooo it!!!

Here:

Make it a bunch of those into as many Randalls, scoop every mid possible, and then have a pickup maker wind something to give more treble, and you've got it :P

Return to Other Gear