Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 pm

So on these American Professional Series.. I'm pretty much settled but I'm curious what you guys (and any gals) think looks duh joint. Crimson Transparent?

Or Sonic Grey?

I'm over the moon on Sonic Grey, but that crimson is wicked w the black guard.

I'm settled on the rosewood board as a slightly smoky offset to the twang despite the bit of grain on bends.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Brock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Sonic Grey! That one just kinda jumped up at me when I saw the picture.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:04 pm

I agree. It's totally bitchin. It's a wicked Tele--ever play one? The American Prof Series w the Shaw Vmods, modded bridge, deep C profile, etc etc?

Where Gibson wobbles, Fender holds steady.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Honestly, I like them equally, however when I look at each of those two instruments, I imagine a different guitar player and song from each.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 am

Unless you're getting a better price on a used one, you can get a better guitar at about the same price point with Warmoth parts. Me personally, I'd want the Strat body contours, Ebony fingerboard, SS frets, better pickups and hardware, and a paint-to-match headstock.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:20 am

Another vote for Sonic Grey.

I was never interested in Telecasters... until recently.

Think about them a lot these days. Not sure what changed in my brain, but they sure look fun to me now.
And I keep looking at them (and variants, like the Solo) online.
Which is stupid, since I already have more guitars than I can gig with.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:12 am

I'm gonna buck the trend and say red. That very 1st pic looks great, the 2nd pic not so much. Maybe its the black guard? Red is not my fav color of the spectrum however.
The grey looks more blah ... in an "OK" sort of way ... in comparison, IMO.
|
\/ Ooh that. 8) But then I'm on team Blue.
Last edited by wickid on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 am

They're both great for opposite reasons. The deep red with wood grain showing through is very classy looking, whereas the sonic gray has the obvious metallic particles (which are fun), and it looks very clean for the body shape.

One cannot go wrong with either color. I personally prefer seeing woodgrain, but will not stick my nose up at solid colors.

I'm super partial to the aquamarine metallic on just about any Fender (here it is on a Tele):
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:11 pm

I vote for the red one because I like the woodgrain peeking through.

ElfDude wrote:Which is stupid, since I already have more guitars than I can gig with.

You spelled 'awesome' wrong.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 pm

https://youtu.be/lhhU9BsSq_Y

That gives a very good picture of what the guitar looks like in reality.. decent outline of the parade of upgrades on this model versus the old American Standard that it replaced.

tl;dr :lol:
I also thought hard about a Solo, appointed with bullseye Lundgren pickups, about the korina Reverend Eastsider T, a Music Man etc. But frankly for aT Style guitar, I'm just completely over the moon for all the improvements versus the old American Standard that this replaced. Prior to playing this I was pretty much sure that, if I grabbed a Fender Telecaster, it would be a Custom Shop Baja 60's in Sonic Blue with the rosewood board (I'm really adamant about rosewood on Telecasters specifically because they dampen the excess brightness of those butterscotch twang machines with just a solid maple plank neck. I find them too thin and bright, especially when you start getting toward the unevenness of the response of the pickup poles on the bridge. It's great for country players, but for me it's just a notch much.

There are so many smart upgrades to this machine with this American Professional series... The treble bleed on the pots maintains the integrity of your sound during roll off (which I use now more than ever because of the extreme responsiveness and sensitivity of the Carr Mercury V to roll off) the slight modification of the ashtray bridge so you don't scrape up your palms when muting and just generally playing... The return of a genuine bone nut... Those Tim Shaw singles are just superb, instead of them being all one magnet type across the pole slugs, he mixed Alnico II and V within the same bobbin, based on the output requirements of each string.. so the wound strings have V slugs and the high strings have II slugs. Talking about it sounds wonderful and clever while talking gear, but it's the actual wind and sound of the output that knocked me out completely. There's none of that unevenness that Telecasters are so famous for, especially on the bridge.. they punch and rip and snarl just perfectly in the way you'd expect from your ideal T style guitar. And I love that the compensated saddles on the authentic brass barrel bridge seem to be preset for .009's.

Then you get to that chunky "deep C" neck profile which fit my hands just perfectly, it was the most comfortable Telecaster neck I've ever played, probably the best Fender neck I've played. The Baja Tele has a nice C shaped profile, but this is deeper and more "shouldered" and it's reallllly nice for my hands. And those new "narrow-tall" frets complete the overall feeling of ease playing on that guitar.. My tendonitis seemed to melt away when I played it. It was just total win, everything has been smartly thought through, and these are modifications, in every case, each bullet point, that makes complete sense and for me and my playing style, my hands and wrists and preferences ....and for my ears, it's pretty much the most ideal telecaster I've played. It's far more comfortable, sounds better and looks wicked.

And as nice of a value that the Baja is, it's MIM pedigree is evident when you sit down and play some of them. You get some roughness on the fret wire, fit and finish, etc. It's a great Telecaster, and for 799 buckeroonies brand new, it's an outstanding deal. I wouldn't go to the lengths of some guys who say "because of the S-switch, (series parallel) there's no longer any need to buy a humbucker equipped guitar."

Some folks on Fender and Tele boards find the $1399 price tag a bit much, but that's positively insane to me. For a solid USA made instrument from a company that generally has not lost its mojo, where you don't have to play thru at least 5-10 Instruments to find "the good one," where premium Gibsons, PRS, Ibanez, (hell even a kiesel Solo with the equivalent upgrades would be around the same price to start.. ashtray bridge, bleed circuit, pickup upgrade.. actually would probably be more expensive) are all far more expensive.

Also, here's another nice demo, color is a cool one called (if memory serves) mystic green. This dude is MIND BENDING PHENOMENAL, eat your heart out Greg Koch (not really, but jeeeeezzz this cat is unreal. Not the most compelling personality, but that's clearly because he's not accustomed to speaking with his mouth apparatus... He talks with his fingers)

https://youtu.be/wrxRvIJqqrI
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:58 pm

I like the mystic seafoam, too. That guy reminds me a whooooole bunch of an uncle-in-law who spent a ton of time playing country music years back. Same speed, licks, and overall sound. Both are obviously great players at their craft.

The guitar doesn't sound bad at all. Clear, clean, well played. Teles are fun. Wish the bodies were more ergonomic, and the control plate flipped..those are my only two misgivings with them as stock.

I once built a Tele style from a funky body, and Jackson neck, with some Wilde/DiMarzio pickups, and a 4 way switch. The neck pocket was crap, and leveled with opaque epoxy (worked out fine). Stupendously great sound; hated how the body felt, and I sold the body off, to a *very* happy buyer.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 pm

I played a Reverend Pete Anderson Tele (oh, excuse me... "Eastsider-T") in a very similar blue finish yesterday. It had a Maple fingerboard, but the entire neck is roasted, so it's a little bit darker than regular Maple. Locking tuners and a bridge with six individual saddles. Asking price was $999.

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/eastsider-t

EDIT: Ah, I see you've already tried this one.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:49 pm

amon wrote:I played a Reverend Pete Anderson Tele (oh, excuse me... "Eastsider-T") in a very similar blue finish yesterday. It had a Maple fingerboard, but the entire neck is roasted, so it's a little bit darker than regular Maple. Locking tuners and a bridge with six individual saddles. Asking price was $999.

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/eastsider-t

Absolutely phenomenal guitars for the money, no doubt. They're definitely strong runners up. I love Revs.

And will own one eventually... I like those little single pup Dirtbikes.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:51 pm

This thread is certainly not helping me not buy a Tele! :laughhard:
Cool new line of guitars indeed.

I've been meaning to test drive a Baja. I need to hit the stores.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Great image that really shows the vibe of that sonic grey color for the American made Professional Series.. looks exactly like the one I had in my hands looked in real life.

Sixties Baja Tele (MIM) in Sonic Blue..

immediately see the mod done to the American Professional on the ashtray bridge vs the vintage style 60's Baja, and the comped saddles. The MIM has the American Vintage pups, and has that great push push S1 switch. The Baja is hands down one of the best guitar values in the whole guitar world. But I've played both, and its ability to try and get into "long scale Les Paul" territory is useless is I have outstanding examples w my 2 Hag Supers. The American Pro is my perfect tele, for my hands, ears, etc. If it didn't exist, I'd probably own the Baja.

Amazing that the Sonic Grey on the USA model is darker and almost more bluish that the Sonic Blue on the Baja.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

arahobob wrote:This thread is certainly not helping me not buy a Tele! :laughhard:
Cool new line of guitars indeed.

I've been meaning to test drive a Baja. I need to hit the stores.

.. And Tele GAS is heavy serious GAS because it's so specific. Nothing else sounds like that but a proper Tele. Or a appropriately made copy with all the right elements.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:58 am

The pickups do it the most to me, with the base plate being part of it. The neck joint *might* have something to do with it, but I'm undecided on that.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Definitely those pickups and the specific barrel saddled ashtray bridge are the two biggest components of that sound, I'd say. I don't think ash vs alder makes too great a difference, although I think alder has better all around, musical response. All of the best sounding Teles and especially Strats have for me been made out of alder. They just have that classic woody, full bubbly tone, regardless which model. Especially on the low versus high end interplay. The low end is lush and full w alder. It's a great all purpose tonewood for virtually anything. It's like basswood in that it's drab, but excellent.

On the other hand, ash is a mu-hu-huuuch prettier wood. But I'm still all about alder Fenders.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:02 pm

If I was going to go low end Tele copy, I'd hit up Michael Kelly for a 53. They're really nice sounding and decent enough build quality for their price point.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear