Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby amon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:10 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:(and still never played a real PAF.. baZOING!) :applause:

I started playing in the 80s when everything was about power. My third electric was a Carvin DC125 with the M22SD. Did the EMG thing for a long time in the 90s. It's only in the past five years or so that I've been dialing back the DCR. The "Mojotone 59 Clone Low Output" set (7K/7.8K Alnico-4) are in my near future, as soon as I can figure out what guitar I want them in.

Doctor Turn wrote:it's been truly remade from ground zero

And still it does not incorporate what I would consider to be either basic necessities of the Tele platform — Strat body contours, heavy Brass bridge and Titanium saddles, some defeat of the string trees, some defeat of the Cycle-60 hum — or basic upgrades that are commonly found in Warmoth's options list — two-way truss rod, Earvana nut, SS frets, compound radius fingerboard. A conversion to a Gibson scale or a baritone length is another option.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:13 pm

arahobob wrote:So that leaves Fender with around $300 for installation labor costs.
Not that unreasonable when I see it broken out like this tbh.

Again, Fender's cost for the parts is way less than that. If they've got more than $500 in a guitar that sells for $1500, I'd be shocked.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Naked Ape wrote:
Some here think the C/K brand is the 'Only' one. Anything else is 'The Dark Side'
You know who you are. :wink:

Hey, I still have my Gibson and my Dean... :lol:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 am

Lol. :lol:
I wasn't thinking of you initially............but.......
With the selective deletion of some words, and the changing of a word or two.
You have self incriminated yourself.
****The original quote is on page 3 of this thread...I believe.****
Disclaimer: Any and all changes of this quote are meant as satire. Not to be taken seriously. :lol:

ElfDude wrote:Reading through all of this and pondering, I ended up coming to a realization I've come to before in my life.
I'm a Carvin/Kiesel guy.
That's where my heart lies.
Were I to buy any 'other' stuff, I'd just end up selling it again.
If I want a guitar with a Tele look or vibe, I'd better just buy something from the Kiesel factory :lol:

For the record. I too, have Gibson's and a Dean. The Dean was purchased to sell, but I can't seem to let it go. I recently put a set of S22's in it. :)

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:56 am

spudmunkey wrote:For the record, my favorite burger places are the ones that serve you a burger with the top bun on the side, with the lettuce tomato and onion on it, not already stacked on the bottom half with the burger and cheese. It's all finished, you just have to put it together myself. :stir: :lol:

That reminds me. There's a cooking show where the point is for contestants to recreate common junk food items — Twinkies, Pop Tarts, whatever — using expensive-restaurant grade ingredients. In effect, spending hundreds of dollars to recreate a mass produced items that you can get in any convenience store for a few dollars. This guitar situation is the exact opposite of that.

As I've demonstrated here, it's possible to exactly recreate a Fender Telecaster with Warmoth parts (generally the most expensive parts available) and still keep the price tag under what Fender charges. But in addition to that, you can add on some seriously boutique options that Fender has never offered and still keep the final cost in the same ballpark.

But some people apparently prefer the worst of both worlds, paying more for the name brand mass-produced junk food.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:35 am

Naked Ape wrote:Lol. :lol:
I wasn't thinking of you initially............but.......
With the selective deletion of some words, and the changing of a word or two.
You have self incriminated yourself.
****The original quote is on page 3 of this thread...I believe.****
Disclaimer: Any and all changes of this quote are meant as satire. Not to be taken seriously. :lol:

ElfDude wrote:Reading through all of this and pondering, I ended up coming to a realization I've come to before in my life.
I'm a Carvin/Kiesel guy.
That's where my heart lies.
Were I to buy any 'other' stuff, I'd just end up selling it again.
If I want a guitar with a Tele look or vibe, I'd better just buy something from the Kiesel factory :lol:

For the record. I too, have Gibson's and a Dean. The Dean was purchased to sell, but I can't seem to let it go. I recently put a set of S22's in it. :)

I too have a membership card to the Gibson and a Dean club! Great Lester, plus my double humbucker short scale Dean Evo bass.

Not a bad club to be in. It's the What You See Is What You Get club..... which is a good club to be in.

And Naked, I'm so psyched it's coming out of my ears! As you mentioned, it's incredible how they smartly went over the guitar with a careful eye and upgraded so many things, yet still kept that classic Telecaster sound right down the center bullseye, but made it so uniquely comfortable and easy to play. In my guitar arsenal where most are examples of iconic guitars that surpass the originals, in my assessment.. this Telecaster is one guitar (because I've actually played the thing ) where I'll happily join the chorus:

https://youtu.be/8IPUbxlwoSI
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 pm

There are a number of pros who are strongly identified with the Tele, but they don't play one built by Fender.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Just got back from GC where I played several Fender Teles — an Am Pro, an Am Elite, and a Standard. Also a used Modern Player, but that's a different animal. If I were in the market for a Fender branded Tele that costs as much as the Pro, I'd just go ahead and step up to the Elite — Ebony fingerboard, compound radius, noiseless pickups, S-1 switching, belly cut, better neck heel, locking tuners. The only serious complaint I had about it (besides the price) was the headstock wasn't painted to match.

The Am Pro does indeed have a gloss finished fingerboard, which I hate. It also has a weird little ridge on the sides of the bridge (like it's kinda an ashtray, but also kinda it's not) that would drive me crazy. Functionally and sound-wise, I didn't find it any more impressive than my SX which was one-tenth the price.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:25 am

"Costs as much as the American Pro"?

The thing is $500 more expensive than the American Pro! :lol:

Now I might be inclined to be on your side and agree that a production tele (this one is out of production though, it seems, but you can get NOS) is too expensive.

And I don't do maple boarded traditional Fenders period.. goes for strats as well. And even more so not ebony, although I love it on LP style axes to bring punctuation to the excessive warmth of buckers and P90's--Teles are already way wayyyyy bright enough with their scale length, pickups, and overall sonic personality. It's rosewood or nothing for me. It's just my preference. And I said the neck, not the fingerboard, is unglossed.... again, not the fingerboard. I've repeated that I'm a rosewood guy many times.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:16 pm

That's why I said "step up to" the Elite. If I'm already in for $1500, another 500 is no big deal. Especially not if I'd likely have to spend that much on upgrades.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Ah, good I'm glad we can agree then that 1399 is not a lot of money to get the Telecaster that speaks to your fingers and ears. Since two grand is worth it for you... With a Telecaster that's not my style (not into the bridge or the pickups).

It's a great big beautiful variegated world with different hands and ears. Guitars are to be played, and it's the music we make with them that matters. Some little kid somewhere with a Michael Kelly can bomb us both back to the stone age, I promise you.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:25 pm

I said "*IF* I were in the market for a Fender branded Tele" I'd go ahead and get the top end of their offerings. I'm not in that market and I likely never will be, unless Fender starts shutting down parts manufacturers that license their shapes.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am

I was this close to pulling the trigger on this guitar yesterday. The seller even offered me $50 off his asking price.
But for the moment I'm still sane enough to remember that I currently own more guitars than I'm actually using.
How long that sanity will last remains to be seen. 8)

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:12 am

Is that a neck thru w a maple top, or a bolt on?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Is that a neck thru w a maple top, or a bolt on?

Neck-through with a maple top.
The only thing it has in common with a Fender Telecaster is the body shape. 8)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Extremely factual statement!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:17 pm

"A 25" scale, 24-fret neck-through with a forearm contour, dual humbuckers, and non-Bigsby vibrato bridge. You know...a Tele." :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Has anyone ever tried a Larrivee Bakersfield? I really like the forearm area shaping. It's also amazing to me how many left-handed models show up when you do a google image search...

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:27 pm

Interesting, you go over to his electric guitars thread and it says,
*OUR ELECTRIC SERIES IS CURRENTLY SUSPENDED WHILE WE FOCUS ON OUR ACOUSTIC LINES.

Matt Larrivee.. a proud user of a Carr Mercury V. No better amp to hear precisely what your guitar is actually pushing out. So very useful to a luthier. (He's in good company too w Sadowsky, Tom Anderson, John Suhr... and on and on)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Yeah, they have been discontinued for a while, but I always dug their Tele take, in that that simple update to the body was always quite attractive to me.

Return to Other Gear