Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 747
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Somerton, AZ

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Omsong » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Butterscotch remains my favorite Tele finish, but some of the solids are pretty cool.

Here is a pic of my Arizona Sun which was a nice MIM Tele. It was the first satin finish guitar I owned and never really bonded with the satin - decided I prefer gloss. Sold it in order to scrape together the $ to buy my recent Fatboy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

User avatar
amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1094
Joined: Oct 2012

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby amon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am

arahobob wrote:3 saddles vs 6 saddles? (I only have experience with the 6)

I stayed away from the three-saddle design for all my current Teles because of the weird angling you have to do to get proper intonation, but I recently ran across Gotoh's Titanium compensated design and now want to try that out.

Image

Gotoh also does a Brass version, and I'd already seen a Wilkinson version of the same idea. I've have problems in the past with Brass roller-style saddles developing burrs from the wound strings and causing string breakage.

arahobob wrote:Standard controls or flip the plate? I kind of dig them flipped.

For a long time, I had the plates reversed on my two top-routed Teles, but recently turned them back around. I used to be a primarily bridge pickup player, and in the back position the selector is far away from the tone knob. As I'm getting more into the neck pickup, I realized the switch is too close to the Tone control to run my pinky down the back side of the knob. GFS has an un-drilled plate that I may put a Gibson-style switch on and get that Volume control up near the bridge pickup again.

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1352
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am

arahobob wrote:How about some other tele topics?

3 saddles vs 6 saddles? (I only have experience with the 6)
Standard controls or flip the plate? I kind of dig them flipped.


6 saddle (through the body stringing), flipped controls for me.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:20 am

amon wrote:
arahobob wrote:3 saddles vs 6 saddles? (I only have experience with the 6)

I stayed away from the three-saddle design for all my current Teles because of the weird angling you have to do to get proper intonation, but I recently ran across Gotoh's Titanium compensated design and now want to try that out.

Image

Gotoh also does a Brass version, and I'd already seen a Wilkinson version of the same idea. I've have problems in the past with Brass roller-style saddles developing burrs from the wound strings and causing string breakage.

arahobob wrote:Standard controls or flip the plate? I kind of dig them flipped.

For a long time, I had the plates reversed on my two top-routed Teles, but recently turned them back around. I used to be a primarily bridge pickup player, and in the back position the selector is far away from the tone knob. As I'm getting more into the neck pickup, I realized the switch is too close to the Tone control to run my pinky down the back side of the knob. GFS has an un-drilled plate that I may put a Gibson-style switch on and get that Volume control up near the bridge pickup again.


Those look interesting, nice recommendation. The only thing unusual about them is they sit in a notch cut into the barrel, rather than directly on top of the barrel without a notch. I'd be interested to hear from a nonpartisan reviewer what effect that has on the sound as well as the feel. My guess is they might cause the guitar to feel a mite less slinky.. but will at the same time prevent string drift on the barrel.

Compensated Tele saddles for the old original barrel bridge has been a thing now for a while and they're offered on Fender American Professional series that I'm going to buy, Kiesel is even offering them on the Solo now (it's the only reason I even contemplated buying a Solo), since Hipshot intro'd them:

Image

If I have any notching issues with the brass saddles on the Tele stock bridge, these Rutters Guitar guys (a recommend on TGP) sell replacement saddles of virtually every stripe.. notched, non notched, brass, steel, etc. Very cool:

http://ruttersguitars.com/Hot_Rod_Parts.html

As for my preferences, definite traditional 3 barrel bridge so long as they're compensated, the unusual quality of those barrels versus every other bridge system creates that extra little bit of uniqueness versus other guitars and epitomizes that traditional tele sound and twang. On the switching, the setup as is on the APS is just fine as it is (I actually can't remember if the switch is reversed or not, I seem to remember the order matching the physical pickups, so if you're looking down while playing, to the left is the neck and to the right is the bridge. I might be misremembering tho).

I would definitely strain to stay w brass saddles, since the last thing that a Telecaster needs is the additional brightness of stainless steel (something i did want on my old 150 for the new replacement bridge, and the results were terrific).
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16110
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am

I have seen some angled Barrel Saddles, where it seems like the internation screw is actually drilled through it on an angle, so that way the barrel saddle itself ends up angled. Is that actually a thing, or am I on crack?

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:42 pm

INTERNATIONAL SCREWS!

Just kidding.

I think you mean like-a dis:

Image

That's definitely a thing, and tremendously neccessary to create the double staircase arrangement to intonate properly on the old barrels.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Sep 2015

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 am

I guess the Tele (shape) Jones is still going strong. Just grabbed this Tele.....Shaped Warmoth. All top notch hardware. A nice blend of many guitars.
Tele (shape), Gibson (wiring), Super-Strat (vibe).
My first guitar with Gold Evo frets. Dig 'em.
Thick A$$ pitch Black Ebony Fingerboard. :drool:
High Performance 'Shredder'
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.04.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.04.57 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Sep 2015

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:17 am

I stopped by Sam Ash and played an American Professional Telecaster in Butterscotch.
A+++ It felt EXCELLENT right off the wall. That's a nice guitar. Decent sized chunky neck. I really liked the feel. I was able to bond immediately with that guitar.

Excellent choice of Telecaster. :!: :!: :!: :!: :applause:

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10692
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby ElfDude » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:35 am

Congrats on the score!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:17 am

Naked Ape wrote:I stopped by Sam Ash and played an American Professional Telecaster in Butterscotch.
A+++ It felt EXCELLENT right off the wall. That's a nice guitar. Decent sized chunky neck. I really liked the feel. I was able to bond immediately with that guitar.

Excellent choice of Telecaster. :!: :!: :!: :!: :applause:


Heh heh congrats on an interesting hybrid guitar. Did you see any of the new 2018 "parallel universe" Telecaster called the Troublemaker Tele?

Link
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 4sQAvD_BwE

They're being cheeky with the name because they're deliberately messing with Gibson's heads. It's basically a Super Swede or a Les Paul long scale:

https://youtu.be/KPcXSUuLtls

Not the best sound on this demo, but I'm sure it sounds better though a good amp and some technique!

But yeah I was back in Guitar Center on lunch yesterday trying to track down a mid sixties Hagstrom Impala (turned out to be down in the 14th Street store), and grabbed a slightly different American Pro Telecaster.. this one with a solid rosewood neck from top to bottom (no actual board, the top of the neck was where the frets are laid, a la the maple necks)

Image

Absolutely superb. The action wasn't as good as the gray one with the maple neck /rosewood board, but that had nothing to do with any inherent quality of the guitar, could easily be adjusted.

It felt and sounded incredible, maybe a hint warmer than the maple necked Tele.

Only thing is it's 3 to 4 hundred bananas more expensive than the standard American Pro. So short of buying a used one, I'll probably stick with sonic grey, maple neck, rosewood board. And you're right, those decently chunky Deep C necks are just wonderful. I'm all in on this model, and I think the price is completely fair considering what you're getting (not to mention one of the nicest cases I've ever seen married to a production fender guitar).
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Sep 2015

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Naked Ape » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:36 am

Thanks Elf and Doc. :)
Doc,
I might have overlooked the "Parallel Universe" Telecaster...if they had one. :think: I did see a Seafoam metallic American Pro Tele, but it was up high, and out of reach. I don't think it was the solid Rosewood neck variety though. I was in a hurry, and just popped in quick, cause I was in there shopping center.
As mentioned in this or another thread here........Most(not all) people who work at these Big Box Stores................SUCK! :wall:
I worked retail for many years when I was younger, and I can honestly say from experience......"THEY SUCK"!
I regret having to end my comment on such a negative note. :(
So I won't.

I am just LOVING my 'Tele' variation guitars lately!!! :woot:

/Y\
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby /Y\ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:02 am

amon wrote:
Image



I have a Tele with these Ti saddles, along with the Gotoh bridge plate for a traditional Tele but having the cut-down sides. I love it. Compared to the original (1974) bridge, I don't think the sound is brighter, just better. Hard to describe, maybe more harmonically rich and of course with better intonation. I can say that guitar has the best sustain of any in my collection, including the V6X. I also have a Tele with the Calaham bridge + compensated brass saddles, but the Gotoh Ti sounds better.

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10692
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:21 am

Reading through all of this and pondering my affordable Tele GAS, looking online at higher end Squiers, MIM Fenders, Slicks, Michael Kelly stuff, etc... I ended up coming to a realization I've come to before in my life.
I'm a Carvin/Kiesel guy.
That's where my heart lies.
Were I to buy any of the stuff I list above I'd just end up selling it again.

If I want a guitar with a Tele look or vibe, I'd better just save my nickels and dimes (ie gig money) until I can buy something from the Kiesel factory, be it new or used, TL60 or Solo, that's my plan. We'll see if I still have the GAS once there's enough money in the piggy bank. :lol:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10692
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 am

Oops... duplicate post
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1383
Joined: May 2013
Location: Close to the edge

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby colossal » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 am

I have long contemplated a Tele, especially for Jazz. I love the sounds guys like Tim Lerch and Julian Lage get out of a Tele. But I am so confused by all of the marketing nonsense now...American Professional, American Vintage, Vintage American, Professional Vintage, Modern Medieval. And Journeyman Relic???..what the hell is that crap? :lol:

I just want a '52 reissue. Dead simple. Butterscotch blonde that looks warm and clear, not like toothpaste smeared into left over orange. Single ply pickguard with 8 screws. Maple neck with a little grain drizzle. Make it in Fullerton. Last time I looked at Fenders, there was only the American Standard, built in California and about $1100 new. Our culture got hijacked by morons.

I'll just buy another Kiesel instead.

User avatar
UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1352
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Omnipresence nearly achieved!

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:39 am

ElfDude wrote:Reading through all of this and pondering my affordable Tele GAS, looking online at higher end Squiers, MIM Fenders, Slicks, Michael Kelly stuff, etc... I ended up coming to a realization I've come to before in my life.
I'm a Carvin/Kiesel guy.
That's where my heart lies.
Were I to buy any of the stuff I list above I'd just end up selling it again.

If I want a guitar with a Tele look or vibe, I'd better just save my nickels and dimes (ie gig money) until I can buy something from the Kiesel factory, be it new or used, TL60 or Solo, that's my plan. We'll see if I still have the GAS once there's enough money in the piggy bank. :lol:


That's pretty much where I am, as well. Just about every other brand has been put up for sale (as well as a couple Carvins that, while amazing, were redundant to others I have). I wind up just going back to them. The only exception to that is a Jackson Kelly, which has an identically shaped neck. Great guitar, that, though I would put it on the chopping block for a V220 at the right price.

We each have our favorites.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:08 pm

colossal wrote:I have long contemplated a Tele, especially for Jazz. I love the sounds guys like Tim Lerch and Julian Lage get out of a Tele. But I am so confused by all of the marketing nonsense now...American Professional, American Vintage, Vintage American, Professional Vintage, Modern Medieval. And Journeyman Relic???..what the hell is that crap? :lol:

I just want a '52 reissue. Dead simple. Butterscotch blonde that looks warm and clear, not like toothpaste smeared into left over orange. Single ply pickguard with 8 screws. Maple neck with a little grain drizzle. Make it in Fullerton. Last time I looked at Fenders, there was only the American Standard, built in California and about $1100 new. Our culture got hijacked by morons.

I'll just buy another Kiesel instead.


From one set of limited choices in Fender to a virtual infinitude of thousands of combinations and permutations at Kiesel is the simpler way, eh?

I think it's just your sense of familiarity is telling you that Kiesel is simpler and that Fender is more complicated. You just need to take a moment and apprehend what the dilly is for the current year... which is the case with any company. I have to step up and defend Fender in this instance, because they're doing things pretty much correct. Saying that Kiesel, half of whose options are not listed anywhere, and what's an option fifty this week wasn't one last week, is the simpler option versus Fender is pretty funny Dave.. you gotta be honest and admit it. :mrgreen:

You want one of the old American Vintage 52 in Butterscotch:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/American-Vintage-52-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-Butterscotch-Blonde-Maple-Neck-1339426633909.gc

As far as the current American mainline, the American Professional Series took over the main line as the "primary, singular, generalized" model. Equivalent of a modern LP Standard. It took over the American Standard series, which exists no more. The two never overlapped each other. The AmPro has replaced the AmStandard for the last two years.

Then you start moving into specific recreations of years, special editions like reclaimed barn pine, and all that other stuff. You can apprehend it in a couple of minutes.

I just don't like the looks of the solo, nor the headstock, and there really aren't any in stock pickups to use. So it makes no sense to get into a downward dog yoga pretzel to pay money send in this pickup, sacrifice this trial period there.. strain to to try and get something to sound like what is right there in front of me and available with no muss no fuss or wait.

But this is just me. I was never a Tele guy-- until recently. And the AmPro just set me off.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

User avatar
colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1383
Joined: May 2013
Location: Close to the edge

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby colossal » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I think it's just your sense of familiarity is telling you that Kiesel is simpler and that Fender is more complicated. You just need to take a moment and apprehend what the dilly is for the current year... which is the case with any company. I have to step up and defend Fender in this instance, because they're doing things pretty much correct. Saying that Kiesel, half of whose options are not listed anywhere, and what's an option fifty this week wasn't one last week, is the simpler option versus Fender is pretty funny Dave.. you gotta be honest and admit it. :mrgreen:

Hi Doc,

Sure, I am more familiar with Kiesel these days and no, I don't keep up with the option 50 menu. But to spec a Kiesel, it's so simple to start with the base model, go through the builder, write down your option codes, and then call Mike Jones for the rest. Just like ordering sushi. Painless. That's always been the formula. To me, Fender and Gibson have always been a handful of vintage models. When they tried to become lifestyle companies or offer these all these clunky variations, I headed for the door.

You want one of the old American Vintage 52 in Butterscotch:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/American-Vintage-52-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-Butterscotch-Blonde-Maple-Neck-1339426633909.gc

Ah, there it is. That would be it. Thanks for the link and clarification. I guess if I want it to be any more Tele-like, I'd have to go to their Custom Shop for more than twice the price.

I just don't like the looks of the solo, nor the headstock, and there really aren't any in stock pickups to use. So it makes no sense to get into a downward dog yoga pretzel to pay money send in this pickup, sacrifice this trial period there.. strain to to try and get something to sound like what is right there in front of me and available with no muss no fuss or wait.

But this is just me. I was never a Tele guy-- until recently. And the AmPro just set me off.

The jury is out for me on the Solo. I have no utility whatsoever for a djented or 24 fret Tele, but respect anyone who wants one; that's cool and that's Kiesel. I would want a Tele for the warm, jazz sound of the neck pickup and 25.5" scale length.

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10692
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 pm

This TL60 on reverb keeps calling to me. But I don't have the asking price saved up.
Patience. I must learn patience.

Image
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16110
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Telecaster Thread? Tele thread...

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 pm

colossal wrote:The jury is out for me on the Solo. I have no utility whatsoever for a djented or 24 fret Tele, but respect anyone who wants one; that's cool and that's Kiesel. I would want a Tele for the warm, jazz sound of the neck pickup and 25.5" scale length.


Good thing they offer it in a 25.5 scale 22 fret 6 string version then, huh? :think: :wink:


Return to Other Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests