Digitech Jamman Express XT Looper Warning

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Digitech Jamman Express XT Looper Warning

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Normally have never had issues with Digitech boxes, but I grabbed one of these
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gIa1vD_BwE

Last Sunday, since they didn't have the EHX720 pedal I wanted. Thing appears to be metal but is actually plastic. Secondly, after one hour of looping, a burning smell (9 volt duracell battery used) permeated the air, all the lights flashed, and the thing stopped looping, and became useless. Every here and there all the lights flashed.

I researched a little deeper, turns out this is a syndrome w this pedal, so don't buy it!

Just came back from GC, exchanged it for the new black color Boss RC-1 Loop Station, built like a tank, and 7 more minutes of storage vs the TC Ditto (everyone recommends the Ditto but the storage is skimpy to me).. same price as the Ditto. Taking it home now w three packs of NYCXL D'Addario strings (12 bux a pack!) so will report on them. Going to re-sling my Carvin with them, replacing some 2 month old Elixirs. See if they displace them. Along w the Boss but I'm not anticipating a problem w a Boss pedal.

The black color (vs the standard red):
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Digitech Jamman Express XT Looper Warning

Postby DWG » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 pm

That's a bummer Doctor Turn. Thanks for the heads up.

DWG

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:12 am

So this boss is ten times more sturdy and durable (and functional in terms of displaying what it's doing.. that circular LED which lets you know where you are in your unfolding loop is perfection). I also have to say.. whether you're onstage in a pair of sneakers or boots, or home practicing/writing, there's something to be said about the way that boss designs their pedals as an actual PEDAL.. this versus the increasingly prevalent, high pressure requiring steel button... Which is what is on that Digi Tech. When you're home in a pair of socks, a pedal trigger is ten times easier and more comfy versus one of those buttons.

If you're in a pair of socks it is not easy to trigger a button, especially when you're sitting down and therefore your foot doesn't have all of your body weight behind it. Try using your big toe and you can miss, slip off the button with the excess pressure needed, etc. So a true pedal activator is ten times more comfortable and effective, in that you'll hit it every time. With loopers, everybody knows that the perfect timing of your punch in and punch out is critical for you to have correct timing when the loop turns over and begins again.. and an awkward button is the blood deadly enemy of that process.

I'm not a big fan of the whole loop thang. It's kind of useful for practicing, soloing against chord structures, etc..

And obviously if you write that kind of loop based music, and are using them in gigs to provide backing tracks, etc, then more power to you. I'm using it mostly to speed up the song writing process, especially to process counterpoint ideas quickly without having to fire up my 32 track just for that.

So I just needed something simple, with a decent amount of loop time onboard, stereo, good sound quality, takes batteries, unlimited editing and layering, good build quality, etc. So for a lousy 99 bucks, Boss did a very good job of doing all that and more. I never got my hands on the Electro Harmonix 720 pedal, which was my first intuitive choice, but the Boss is so well designed and sturdy, with a nice 12 full minutes of looping in stereo versus the TC Dittos 5 (and everybody screams "GET THE DITTTOOOOO!!") which is the exact same price, I'm quite happy!

But again, run as if from turd covered Satan from the DigiTech Jamman Express XT.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I also have to say.. whether you're onstage in a pair of sneakers or boots, or home practicing/writing, there's something to be said about the way that boss designs their pedals as an actual PEDAL.. this versus the increasingly prevalent, high pressure requiring steel button... Which is what is on that Digi Tech. When you're home in a pair of socks, a pedal trigger is ten times easier and more comfy versus one of those buttons.

If you're in a pair of socks it is not easy to trigger a button, especially when you're sitting down and therefore your foot doesn't have all of your body weight behind it. Try using your big toe and you can miss, slip off the button with the excess pressure needed, etc. So a true pedal activator is ten times more comfortable and effective, in that you'll hit it every time.

I'm with you 100% on that. I actually bought one pedal over another that I liked slightly more just because of the pedal. I'd love to try one of these sometime... Or maybe make one out of wood. :think:
https://barefootbuttons.com
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 pm

I love loopers.
I used the original Lexicon Jamman rack mounted unit in my ancient proggy power trio. I modded it to the full 32 seconds.
I would lay down loops on the fly and add second parts over top - a little tough to sync compared to the new units, but it worked. The only reliable way to get the timing perfect was to sync it up w/ any MIDI devices.
My favorite thing was to record long ambient sections or delay soaked leads, reverse them, then trigger them in other sections of the song. Super cool!

I've been using my POD HD500 looper lately for that kind of thing. On the fly reversed guitar madness.
I also have the EHX Canyon pedal with functions the same as any of the one button loopers. It's a cool little delay pedal.

Glad to hear you're happy with the boss unit.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:47 am

I have a friend that has worked for Digitech for years. More and more of their operations are headed overseas. His job in particular is giong to India this summer and he'll be out of work. I'm not surprised to hear that their quality is going downhill. Saddened, but not surprised.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Yes it is sad. Somehow this country survived back running up to my younger days with most products being made here in the USA. It's sad watching things turn to trash. There are some good Asian made items, don't get me wrong. There are companies like PRS, Strandberg, Hagstrom, most Gretsch and some Fender, and most emphatically Reverend guitars who have found the right balance between MIA and affordability and quality.. I really really don't want to derail this thread into politics.. but I think (aside from all his err other issues) Trump's desire to get manufacturing back here in the USA is a good one and I hope some progress can be made in that direction. The problem is that we all wish for the kind of paradigm shift on the level of what happened over the past twenty to thirty years, but in reverse, to restore manufacturing to where it once was. Unfortunately it's not just a USA problem.. countries just can't compete with the extremely cheap labor overseas and they can't resist the extra drachma earned by farming it all out.

Anyhow, still very happy with the boss. Perfect pedal for my simple looping needs. For big stroke effects like this where you just need something basic and simple, it's often really tough to beat Boss. It's when you start getting into more esoteric items (or even just classic items that require something a little better than the status quo, like a truly good floor pedal compressor, something like the Xotics USA SP comp blows that tinny pump factory from boss away) like a truly fabulous overdrive or fuzz, or some of the melodic effects, Boss loses its primacy. But if the effect does everything you want it to do, and does it well, I think it's always good going with a Boss since they're usually built like howitzer artillery shells.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:07 pm

You can't go wrong with a Boss pedal. I literally break almost everything I play. My band gets really physical onstage and stuff just happens.

The only exception is my Boss stuff. I never break any of it. I break cables, guitars, amps, footswitches and pedals but never Boss stuff. I've been using the same tuning pedal for over ten years!!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:57 pm

I know. I had a whole floor board worth of pedals, a good number of them Boss (the original Compression/Sustain pedal which has since turned to total squishville, the original old brown Octaver, the original grey digital delay, etc.. they all went out the door (along with the old, large sized stainless Uni Vibe which is the loss I regret the most), around the time I sold my strat.

I held on to a vintage Cry baby, the Foxx Fuzz Wah Volume with the octave switch... And a couple others.

Miss that Uni Vibe probably the most. I adored that pedal ...talk about gear built like war ordnance!! That thing was like a rock!

Yes, being broke sucks... But I would never have considered selling my two vintage Carvin pieces. That would be like selling heart and brain.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear