Looking for Kemper powerhead/speaker suggestions...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looking for Kemper powerhead/speaker suggestions...

Postby kdawg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm considering a Kemper non-powered head, as there are a couple used units for sale locally.

Most of my playing will be with headphones or at lower volume through a power head and speaker. Recently, an old drummer buddy of mine has suggested we get together and jam sometime, so I'm guessing that could happen but it's not serious at all. No gigging in my foreseeable future.

I'm just looking for some economical suggestions for a powerhead and a speaker system for it. I'm not necessarily shopping on a budget but really don't see the need to spend more given my application. Thanks for any input.

freakofnature
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Kemper powerhead/speaker suggestions...

Postby freakofnature » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:21 am

Kemper FREAK here! :)

Even though I have the Powered version of the head, because I'm a Kemper freak, I can tell you that FAR AND AWAY the number one recommended solution for unpowered Kempers is the Yamaha DXR10 powered speaker. It's got a built in 700watt amp and is a true FRFR solution which is definitely what you want so you can take advantage of the Cabinet profiles and third part IR's (Impulse Responses) that are out there. You will have PLENTY of headroom for jamming with a band I promise you!

It's like $500+ but it's a good deal if you were thinking about buying a separate PA/Speaker anyway right?

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks Freakofnature. I'm gonna look into the DXR10.

Edit: Just did some research and have found a ton of favorable information regarding the DXR10. Thanks again Freak, as this wasn't even on my radar.

freakofnature
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby freakofnature » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 am

You're very welcome! Let me know how it turns out!

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:40 pm

I concur with the DXR10s. I use a pair of them with subs as our FOH mains. A pair is loud and clear enough for a ballroom with about 75 people. I know you mentioned no gigging for now, but this is just so you can gauge just how loud they can get. :) Besides, with a DXR10 (or two), you wouldn't have to get new monitors when you do go gigging.

If you don't mind spending a little more money, CLRs are very flat and transparent, and you can even use them as reference monitors in the studio (albeit very big ones lol). I use CLRs to dial in presets (Fractal), and whatever is created on a CLR translates very well to FOH.

Just one thing to note, the DXR10s aren't completely flat. They have a midrange hump in the 1KHz to 1.6KHz range (verified by RTA mic & pink nose when EQing the PA, regardless of room). For monitoring guitar, it should be fine. But, take that into account if you're also going direct to FOH, because if you dial your preset to account for the hump, you may not have the mids you thought you had in FOH.

Both the DXR10 and CLR are loud enough to keep up with a drummer. For best projection, they should be elevated off the ground, unless you're just using them as wedges. For pure volume, the DXR10 is louder. It can get painfully loud. :twisted:

Return to Other Gear