"Epiphone?" Les Paul journey

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: "Epiphone?" Les Paul journey

Postby Brock » Wed May 30, 2018 12:51 pm

I've took it band practice the other night and ended up playing it the whole time.

It sounds really good. The Pearly Gates in the bridge is fantastic. It's got a lot of bite and growl and really drive my tube amp. It has a more high end than I like but is still pretty good. The GFS Crunchy PAT in the neck really surprised me. It's warm but has a bit of highs to make it stand out. It does have a vintage vibe about it. It's also really loud, must be wound hot. I had to lower the height to about level with the pickup rings. It too will drive a tube amp really well.

I do need to check all my solder joints. There is some hum. Not a lot, but enough to notice. I'm thinking I don't have something grounded as it should be.

As I mentioned in a previous post the string spacing does not line up with the poles on the bridge pup but I didn't notice anything with the sound. Seems to work pretty good.

It certainly plays really nice. There are a couple frets that are just a bit rough. I think a good polish will do the trick.

The worst part is this guitar is heavy! I think it must be the heaviest one I have. I was using a dinky little strap with it...I'm going to get a thick one and see how it feels.

All in all - a really nice guitar!

Return to Other Gear