Tortex alternative.

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

megathrax84

Tortex alternative.

Postby megathrax84 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 am

Hello, I am new to this Forum, I love playing Kiesels and Carvins. I love playing metal mostly, but I try to play other Genres too.

When I was a teenager, I got used to playing with the light green dunlop riff picks (for acoustics), I tried a bunch of other picks. I got better at guitar playing and started using the green Dunlop Tortex'es, And then later on I decided that in order to get faster I need to go down a notch, which meant using the .73mm yellow Tortex. I been using the yellow ones for a while, which are good, but they get Blunt quickly.

I want to know if there's a guitar pick that is like the yellow tortex but more durable, Can I please have some suggestions?
I like the Black Jazz III's in the sense that they don't go blunt quick.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Tortex alternative.

Postby texastoast » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 am

I wish I had a good choice for you. I use the yellow ones myself. I have found "harder"picks lasts longer but give off a bit more sound.
I tried V picks and the were pretty cool. Just a bit thick and the price was concerning. Some people swear by them. Kind of a whole different route. I bought the sample pack and never ordered again. But I could see how some like it.

I from time to time take a file that is a lot like the nail files people use. Emery cloth on a stick basically and reshape my picks if my supply is getting low. It is pretty easy and environmentally better. Biggest thing for me is just buy my picks in bulk and it gets cheaper anyway.

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Maybe try going up one or two steps in thickness to the .88 or 1.00. IMHO, if you already like the feel of Tortex, it'll be hard to find a comparable replacement. I'm using Tortex Jazz III XL in 1.14mm. I've tried so many others, but keep returning to Tortex.

I also tried Ultex, which seemed to last a little longer than Tortex. Ultex felt good attacking the strings, but I didn't like the "squeaky" way they felt against the skin of my fingers. On second thought, maybe they only lasted that long because I ended up not using them as often, lol.

Like TT said, you could try reshaping your picks, and buy in bulk. I sometimes sand my picks back into shape (when I don't lose them), then rub it through the carpet a couple of times to buff it.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 pm

You could buy them in the larger bulk packs
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:04 pm

I was a Tortex user (.73) until I found the Ultex Sharp .73mm. I LOVE these picks - they're sharp like a Jazz III, but full sized and still have some great flex for funky right hand stuff. I HIGHLY recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-433P-73-U ... B002IJK0H4

megathrax84

Postby megathrax84 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:28 pm

I do buy them in bulk, I wanted to show you a picture of most of the ones I already used up, but my phone is being stupid.

megathrax84

Postby megathrax84 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:31 am

DannyB819 wrote:I was a Tortex user (.73) until I found the Ultex Sharp .73mm. I LOVE these picks - they're sharp like a Jazz III, but full sized and still have some great flex for funky right hand stuff. I HIGHLY recommend.

Thank you, I will try them out, do they last longer?

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 am

megathrax84 wrote:
DannyB819 wrote:I was a Tortex user (.73) until I found the Ultex Sharp .73mm. I LOVE these picks - they're sharp like a Jazz III, but full sized and still have some great flex for funky right hand stuff. I HIGHLY recommend.

Thank you, I will try them out, do they last longer?

In my experience, they last a bit longer than Tortex, but not so much that you'll be blown away by the difference. I'll also note that I play on Ernie Ball coated .10s on most of my guitars.

freakofnature
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby freakofnature » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 am

You mentioned wanting to get faster. Its been my personal experience that going THICKER is better for speed not the other way around. The thinner the pick, the more flex. Better for open chord rhythm type stuff but not so much for lightning accuracy while playing fast. The real trick for me at least was finding a nice thick pick that has beveled edges. I absolutely LOVE the Dunlop big stubby's for practice. Unfortunately, when playing live plastic type picks get to slippery because I sweat like a madman! I have some of the new Andy James and John Petrucci (NEW ones, not his old ones which I didn't like) picks on order. They're basically identical to one another just very slight difference in size so I ordered 3 of both and am awaiting them so I can test.

Just thought I'd toss out some more options for you.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Tortex picks are Dunlop's branding of Delrin (Acetal, or POM if you prefer). It's not a bad material, but I found it to wear pretty quickly. I used to play with the purple Tortex, but ate through those things so fast, one or two every gig would be shot. I tried to use the worn one for practice, but didn't like the performance.

I switched to an Ultex Jazz III and stopped looking. It took a little while to get used to the shape, but it really helped my playing. They grab well for me, and I never wore one out. I gave an XL to a bassist, and he used the same pick for about a year; worn to a comfortable looking polished bevel, and that was it.

The sharp Ultex picks are nice for acoustic, though they're a bit trebly, and have some "clack" to them. I play the .9mm since it's pretty stiff. The Jazz III Ultex picks are a bit softer sounding, probably from a more rounded edge (while still being a sharp point).

I highly recommend the material, as it just holds up under some solid abuse in my experience. The Petrucci picks are also of this material, with a polished bevel, and slightly larger. Just wish they had better grip, as the logo doesn't grip for me at all.

The carbon Jazz IIIs are pretty hot stuff, too, and don't wear much. Very, very stiff, though, and a bit lighter weight. I didn't get on with the texture very well due to how I grip the pick, but loved the sound. It's a little softer to my ear than the Ultex JIII.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I've always preferred the delrin 500s over the tortex.
They feel smoother on the strings to me (some think they're too smooth feeling)

They don't last too long though (I like the .96mm or heavier)
But i always buy in bulk.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Return to Other Gear