NGD #1: Godin Summit

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

NGD #1: Godin Summit

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 pm

So, several weeks ago I brought this home.

Quick rundown: Spanish cedar multi-chambered body, hog neck, maple top, richlite board, Duncan 59/Alnico Pro II pups, 24.75 scale, 12" radius, HDR circuit. This one is just a hair over 7.5 lbs.

So, how is it? It's everything you'd want a great 'Paul' to be, with a few differences. Driving it is almost a dead ringer for an LP, expect there is only a single volume and tone. Otherwise it all feels quite familiar. This thing is LOUD acoustically and rings nicely. The attack is not quite the Thor's hammer of an LP, but still has plenty of mustard to it. It has more air around the attack and the notes if that makes sense, without getting too airy or soft like a semi-hollow can. It has all the good LP tonal qualities - bright, thick, dense, and chewy/bloomy. The difference is that the bandwidth is deeper, if that makes sense. There is more harmonic complexity going on around the notes, more dimension if you will, without losing focus or getting mushy. It's quite the trick, and it sounds great. Sustain is there aplenty and somehow there are no dead spots anywhere on the neck. I'm not quite loving the Alnico Pro II in the neck, but I've got a 36th Annie to drop in.

Quality is excellent from the construction to the frets to the finish....all about as good as it gets, no complaints. This particular one came with a hang tang reading 'test de nets multiples'. In other words, they put a multiple binding on it, and because of that non-standard spec, they sold it as an outlet model for 60% of normal retail. Not bad.

Overall I'm quite happy with the guitar. It got me my LP fix + a bit more. It doesn't bowl me over - probably thanks to NGD 2 and 3 - but it's certainly doesn't suck and it's a very good guitar. They are definitely worth trying and I recommend them.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: NGD #1: Godin Summit

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Hmm...pics aren't loading for me.

I've only ever had luck with URLs that have ".jpg" at the end. These don't seem to:

Code: Select all

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GahjRQB3XT1p4mdkPhthb-JgH7KSgxDzRQuRK6Dw8lzxocKSvN5-OYkfpJWKApR0odIN-lb2nCq9WoiwAyTO_LaVoVpoHjb6whxpIQwrYVT09e-55MRyO9nC2qaJA2I2e1bjjTgNgXms--reLRHbOuLj6mhsiyA0Z3vXF5N1aPcXeIiKLplHy4JyZcLvlL9hGuZZl9FuLo4g7U1t7t5JWXZRYWaYUdWgR6ET77u3aEt5qsnyitMKrFlBiWuardWGDTpxWzsdy2uGP0BvEQX5lcq6Ou3ovpblsKF4bZniGEKnl--mO0kFVstx6LedW41e0fjMxs96eifqQ7ywKNz9INzUuotIkHYRKi5dQIpJsgV96NHMjUgqH477tg-pwEz3SUt9D270HgyYZ_-mmteSx7e8-pJhZUZWuHC2CqotDYto40bd5uVWt0CtbH9qDOat1p_MncIywvCjIcS2oGMqMDx1LH8MOX-4Tyml3vcLrRDl1CobwsWUThxmYgUIVm9dQai4xaHh7H9MABQAESMJbHiSwwA0B-J0530PP2Gs6cAGvTW0D21qLEaceK5rdTwSbnDdmTk-EOaNUYsn7FUZofy0_MnXRRIIgPI6L2w=w694-h925-no

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Grrr, I hate google photos!! Let me see what I can do.....
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:47 am

I love Godin!
Can't see pictures either.....

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:58 pm

GuitFiddle wrote:Image

:cowbell: :cowbell: :cowbell:

j/k, congrats on the new axe! :mrgreen:

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri May 25, 2018 10:11 am

Photo of the guitar, finally, because google photos sucks:

A very good guitar, still enjoying it, still giving me what I expect it to - pure LP only a bit better - but not falling madly in love with it. It's possible I'd be more enamored with it, except its cocky little brother the Core CT keeps steamrolling it every time it's in the same room. I still highly recommend checking one out if you're looking for an LP-type but don't want a Gibson for the reasons that have been documented a thousand times over.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat May 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Yeah, I want a Summit too but I've got the Core Ct, LGXT, and Montreal Premier already.

Wife says, you can only play one guitar at a time you know . . .

Um, yes, so what's your point?

KH
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby KH » Sun May 27, 2018 4:09 am

SWEET!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

What does the little button by the tone control do? Coil split?

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sun May 27, 2018 10:19 pm

That's the "Turbo Charger" button . . . just changes passive to active.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue May 29, 2018 11:23 am

Exactly. It is an interesting effect...it just widens the sonic breadth a bit by extending the highs and lows but doesn't mess with the midrange. Honestly, I never use it.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue May 29, 2018 12:05 pm

Which is the one of the two (or maybe they both are?) that is 25.5" scale?
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue May 29, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm assuming you mean out of the Summit and the Core? They are both 24.75" scale. In fact they are both so similar that the only meaningful construction difference is that the Summit has a richlite board and TOM/tail piece combo, in contrast to the rosewood/wrap bridge on the Core. I suppose the maple top on the Summit might be slightly thicker since it is a full carve instead of edge beveled. Other than that, same stuff. They even came with the same bridge pickup. I can't explain why they sound so differently from one another. Suffice it to say the Core has a 'dry', airy sing and bite while the Summit has more sting and the midrange is more dense.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue May 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Didn't you mention you bought a guitar recently (meaning over the past 16 months maybe) where one of them was a long scale LP style guitar?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue May 29, 2018 1:25 pm

OK, gotcha. Bought a used Godin LG Signature a while back. Basically a hybrid. Thick hog body and neck, maple top, RW board, but 25.5 scale and it was actually a bolt-on. The thing sounded fantastic, handily ate my CS6's lunch and that was a good guitar. But as you know, only a short-scale is a short-scale...so with an LGX-SA around that did basically the same thing, I moved it on at a handsome profit when the Summit and Core landed. There really is no substitute for the right scale length.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue May 29, 2018 8:21 pm

canon_mutant wrote:That's the "Turbo Charger" button . . . just changes passive to active.

On my Summit ct I took the nine volt out and use it as a kill switch.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed May 30, 2018 12:14 pm

GuitFiddle wrote: There really is no substitute for the right scale length.

Depends what your aim is. Never been in a situation where you were recording or even jamming with a Les Paul and the thing was just sitting flat like lard in the dead undefined center of things?

The Les Paul style axe is THE prototypical, ARCHtypical axe that sounds phenomenal when you play at home with just you and your amp, or you want to do a youtube style demo of how nice your guitar sounds thru this or that amp... but then you start multitracking with track level mastering compressors, limiters on final and reverbs, and you've got to EQ like a maniac to get it to sound even remotely what it sounds like while you play alone in your room. Not a problem at all when playing, for example, a stratocaster.

And, I have found, rarely if ever a problem with a long scale LP style guitar (read: Super Swede, which really innovated the idea.. or LP CS Long Scale from 2014 or after). They still have that thick wicked power in the midrage and lows, BUT the extra definition up on top from the chime of the long scale pushes it up on top of the mix much easier--and does so in-tact, where your guitar sounds like a short scale Les Paul sounds in the room alone, but mixed into a rhythm section and overdub embellishments galore.

It's a fabulous innovation. When choosing between a superstrat (long scale strat, thin alder or ash body, dressed like a Les Paul with humbuckers), or a long scale Les Paul style build (full Les Paul build and electronics on the long scale) I'd mostly fall back on the latter. I have no urge towards a superstrat nowadays. My only long scale single coil urge is toward a classic Telecaster.

So it's all up to what you need at the moment. I've got 4 short scale guitars: DC150k, vintage HIIN OT, vintage Viking, and Les Paul Special exclusive.. and two long scale Swedes (one w the Lundgren PAF style humbuckers which is one of the greatest guitars I've ever owned, the other w 3 of those superb wound-to-positon P90's).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu May 31, 2018 6:44 am

Interesting. Honestly, no, haven't found myself in that situation. That may have to do with my amp selection though....I work primarily with either Marshall 2203 type architectures or an analog sim of basically the same thing (Tech 21). If you've spent time with a 2203 you know how they roll...the 'hail storm of nails' that can cut your head off in isolation but sits in a mix like nobody's business, even with a dense mid-heavy LP. In fact the biggest challenge I've had is not steamrolling everything else in the mix! Plug in a super strat thing and it all goes South...too much cut and bite, roll it back and its neutered. I've never been one for the 'what my heroes play' thing, but the whole LP through a good Marshall or Orange set to stun is wholly grounded in reality.

That being said I take no issue whatsoever with a longer scale LP types. My longest-running gigging and recording guitar by a huge margin was my old LGX-SA (got a newer one now), and I never had a single complaint about how it sounded or sat in the mix. It was a great guitar by all measures and I played it into the dirt. The only thing it lacked was some of the sweet note bloom that comes from a short-scale.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu May 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Well that's the thing (and believe me, I don't doubt that you're getting a good sound from your LP/Marshall rig, so I'm not trying to convince you otherwise..I lean on Gibson scale guitars by a ratio of 4 to 2 so I'm with you) those amp setups you mentioned are tht biggest culprits of all for the stereotypical Lester muddiness. (And even there I'm with you... My Carvin when pushed drives right into that Marshall territory, and my Carr Mercury V is cranked Plexi to the tee and beyond.)

Lots of folks play Fender Twins for that reason, to specifically mitigate the mud issue. Next to tuning problems with your G string, muddy Les Paul sound is probably the most stereotypical problem you hear users complain about. It's why dudes like Clapton and Richards both migrated specifically away from Les Pauls over to Fender guitars after introducing the Les Paul to the world initially.

It's not that it's something that happens even 40% of the time when recording or playing live, it's that when it does happen, especially in contexts of larger bands or broader mixes with lots of overdubs... The problem is easily solved by using pretty much the same guitar with the same PAF style pups, but with 25.5" scale. It's guitar cardiac jumpers in a dead mix.

Generally I prefer short scale because the guitar is so slinky and thick and clobbery, it's like fun with atomic power. The sound is just wicked.

But with the right build, and in the right mix, those 25.5 geets are like hammers with tiny little diamond points shaved into the heads.

With good examples of all builds, you're in guitar heaven. And it sounds like you're there already!

:rockon:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm

Tell me about it...I have a stellar S-type that is useable in all positions, even bridge only, and that things is all stringy and burpy and poppy and cuts through any mix you throw it into. Strangely I rarely play it. :think: It's really no wonder how the majority of the guitar world arrived at basically two designs to cover most of the needs for almost any music type. It's probably also why PRS have become so popular, most of them live somewhere in the middle but don't 'fall into the hole' like LPs can.

You should send me your Mercury so I can make sure it's working right. 8)
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Return to Other Gear