NGD #2: Godin Core CT

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

NGD #2: Godin Core CT

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah, I have a sickness. I picked this up too.

Quick rundown: Spanish cedar multi-chambered body, hog neck, maple top, RW board, 24.75 scale, 12" radius, Duncan 59/Godin neck pups, V/V/T/T passive. Standard stuff for the most part. 7.2 lbs!! Plays great, excellent quality throughout, no complaints. I almost didn't buy it because frankly, I don't like black guitars. But for $650 from the outlet, I couldn't say no. I figured at that price if I didn't like it I could get my money right back out of it. Just like the Summit, very loud and resonant acoustically, rings out with fervor.

I've played a million and one Gibson-clone guitars like this one, so whatever. There would probably be nothing particularly notable to experience. Umm, wait a second.....Ho-Lee-Schmidt..what is this thing!! It's....ridiculous!! I don't even understand this guitar. Why it it so good?? It has perfect attack, perfect sustain, perfect voicing, perfect density and richness and airiness and and clarity and gooey-ness and always fades into perfect feedback. It isn't the pickups....its the same 59 in the bridge as the Summit, and this guitars sounds much better. It's got a ceramic Godin pickup in the neck which was a sloppy disaster in other guitars it comes in (granted they are 25.5 bolt-ons), and it sounds heavenly in this. I'm tempted to drop in some killer coils to see just how ridiculous this guitar can get. Is it the wrap-around ResoMax? Just this particular guitar? Man, I don't know, but I seriously am having trouble processing it. It just shouldn't be this good. So, I'm just gonna play it.

Happy? To quote Elf....Oh yeah!!! I make no assumptions that they are all this good, but if they are....it's the best kept secret in the guitar world right now. I had a PRS S2 Satin Singelcut that was a good guitar, but this thing is better by more than a little. For $895 street price, and the ability to get them cheaper...man. Had I not gotten this, I'd be over the moon about the Summit. But this is just a sleeper supreme and it's a better guitar. Search = over.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: NGD #2: Godin Core CT

Postby skully13a » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Google pictures?
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri May 25, 2018 10:02 am

Stock photo because google photos sucks:

Honeymoon ain't over. I don't think it will be over. Still a shockingly, stupidly good guitar for its type and I've never played one better at any price. Several weeks ago I dropped in the Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries I had laying around and it's even better than stock, although it wasn't a massive change (that's what happens when the guitar is great to begin with).

Now Godin has seen fit to discontinue it and replace it with something called the Summit SG :| My guess it that it cost almost as much to make the Core CT as the Summit Classics and that the margins were too thin. But I have mine, and may even pick up another for escrow.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat May 26, 2018 9:50 pm

P90 version is a great buy too . . .

Congrats. Never enough geetars . . .

KH
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby KH » Sun May 27, 2018 4:13 am

NICE!! Congrats! :applause: :applause:

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue May 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I've been trying to convince myself NOT to buy a P90 version too....I'm not sure why though. :mrgreen:
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 pm

You know, out of ALL the SD pups I've had or played, these P90s are a tad weak. I was considering going to Lundren in Sweden to get his branded version of the spiced Ps in Hagstroms, still the best I've heard. Now, they are P90s, and they work fine. But, if I get anal about it, they are lacking. Not sure I've said "lacking" on any other SD pups before that I've actually owned. I like some better than others but never "lacking". But, getting them swapped is NOT like at the top of my priority list either. Just played her the other night along with Brian May on that Queen Montreal concert they are playing on the Music Channel. It did just find. Just not quite that P90 making you pee a little feeling I can get with a 56 LP or especially with those spiced Hagstrom Ps.

EDIT: And, BTW, have not given up on the Lundrens either. Just fell down the priority list a bit. Given the over seas thing, they are NOT cheap. And that price was a year ago at least.

Return to Other Gear