NGD - Slick SL-52

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NGD - Slick SL-52

Postby Brock » Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm

This was a spur of the moment buy. Guitar Fetish has been having a Memorial Day sale for a couple of weeks now. I've been looking at Slick brand guitars for a while and wanted to try one. They look cool, sound great on YouTube demos and are priced really low.

Anyway, I see and SL-52 in the clearance section. It has a broken switch. It was marked down by about $15 and with the sale take an extra 20% off...so I got it for like $170. And my wife didn't seem too upset when UPS showed up with another guitar :D
IMG_20180530_151638757_LL.jpg

IMG_20180530_151650561_LL.jpg

IMG_20180530_150717683.jpg

IMG_20180530_150803565.jpg

IMG_20180530_150844936.jpg

IMG_20180530_150909291.jpg

IMG_20180530_150919877.jpg

Here's my first thoughts...let start with the bad.
1. The fretboard edges are a little square and sharp
2. It needs a setup. When I say setup, I mean I want to change to a lighter set of strings and lower the action. It came with the intonation set perfectly. and the neck is straight.

That's the only bad. here's the good.

1. The neck profile is what I like, thin and narrow. It's smooth. Don't know what finish is on it but I do know it's not gloss. Looks to be satin? I don't know...it's not sticky at all. And the neck is two pieces of maple. I included a picture of the scarf joint near the head.
2. The hardware is solid brass.
3. The tuners are solid. No play at all.
4. It's light. The body is ash. There are no fillers. You can feel the wood grain. I really like how it looks.

Here are a couple more specs..
The pickups are Slick "Old School" humbuckers, aged. They certainly sound good and have that vintage PAF vibe.
There's a single volume and 3-way selector switch.
Sawmp ash body, Canadian hard rock maple neck and Indian rosewood fretboard.
24-3/4" scale
43mm nut
12" radius
6105 medium jumbo frets.

Here's the real surprise. The guitar shown on the website was black and listed as black finish. What a surprise when I opened the box and it wasn't black but aged sunburst! Fine by me because I like it better.

Anyway - enjoy the pictures. Hopefully soon I can put a different set of strings on and lower the action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: NGD - Slick SL-52

Postby amon » Wed May 30, 2018 8:33 pm

I've got the no-pickguard Tele. That was my only complaint about it, as well, about the sides of the neck being too... the word I use is "crisp." Considering the aged look they're going for with the entire line, you would expect the neck to have a more worn-in feel. But for the price, it's a microscopic complaint. The pickups in it — the hotter Tele set in the Slick pickups line — have the most output volume I've ever heard from a set of true single-coils.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 am

Thanks for the two reviews, guys.
Many times I've considered a Slick tele copy.
Nice to see that there's not much to complain about and that the harware and pickups are good.

As to the finish, here's what the manufacturer states:

The feel and vibe is enhanced and preserved by the completely unique way that we finish Slick guitars. The solid ash body is NOT wood grain filled. It is NOT sealed. NO Polyurethane fillers. It's raw. We spray a single coat of old fashioned automotive paint and sand it back. The pores don't get clogged so the wood can breathe.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Thu May 31, 2018 10:33 am

Yea, this isn't a good guitar for the price, it's a good guitar by anyone's standard. The few complaints I have can be easily fixed.

So let's talk about the complaints. Over lunch I put on a set of strings. It's amazing how much better it felt simply with a set of familiar strings. I did lower the action just a bit and set the intonation. It plays really well...much better.

I also took a sanding block lightly over the fret edges/fretboard and it feels better. Not perfect but better.

I'll save any other praises till after the newness wears off.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am

Sounds like some inexpensive fun. I'm finding that cheap guitars these days are getting into the very good to great range. Time will tell in how well it ages, but it'll probably be fine.

As far as i know, Artec winds most of the GFS pickups. I have no problem with them, though, I have a set of unused Gretschbuckers sitting around that would look pretty cool in this, and still give the "classic" sound.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:45 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:As far as i know, Artec winds most of the GFS pickups. I have no problem with them, though,

Rumor had it they make the TBH60, right?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

spudmunkey wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:As far as i know, Artec winds most of the GFS pickups. I have no problem with them, though,

Rumor had it they make the TBH60, right?

I believe so. I'd read it here, somewhere, on the forums, and did some digging on my own, which seems to confirm it. At the very least, they're identical to Artec branded ones in design, though the specs differ a bit. Artec has "PST-1 (16.8K DCR, and 14.2H inductance and PST-2 models (10.4K / 8.3H), both of which have much higher DCR and inductance than the TBH-60 specs at 7.8K and 4.5H.

This makes me think Artec wound a custom, lower-output design for Kiesel/Carvin. It's not a bad thing, but the TBH pickup has a discernably different sound than its contemporaries that are designed/built by Kiesel/Carvin. I have one in the middle of my DC135. I used it for a bit, but find that it gets a little muddy for me, and I rely on the neck and bridge pickups more. I've thought about moving it to the neck, though I might just stick a single coil in its place and be happy.

Of note: don't split a TBH60. It's too weak. Put it in parallel, which will keep output about the same as when in series, but the resonant frequency goes way up, inductance goes down, as well as DCR, and it sounds more like a really clean/mean single. Splitting it is a waste of time, unless super low output with virtually no bass is desired.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Could this be a preview of what my CS6 will look like after 50 years of playing? :D

IMG_20180601_151247433 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20180601_151331703 - Copy.jpg

UnexplodedCow wrote:Sounds like some inexpensive fun. I'm finding that cheap guitars these days are getting into the very good to great range. Time will tell in how well it ages, but it'll probably be fine.

I've been having a lot of fun messing around with inexpensive guitars lately. I've put about 4 different sets of pickups in my $50 Epiphone Special II. I love hearing all the tones. Plus I swapped some knobs, tuners and pickup rings for a different look. And the plus side is it's really no big deal if I mess up something or scratch it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brock on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:50 pm

hmmmmm....not sure why the one picture posted twice. I can't seem to remove it?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Brock wrote:hmmmmm....not sure why the one picture posted twice. I can't seem to remove it?

When you look at the "attachments", does it show 3? Maybe you uploaded that one twice? Any you upload that aren't placed "in line", it attaches to the very end of the email. For example, I just uploaded these two photos, but only embedded the Koa Osiris.

koaosiris.JPG

The Monsterburst guitar will then show up below the body of the email, as an attachment below:

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Yep, I had 3 attachments but only placed 2 inline. Thanks for the help!

Return to Other Gear