A Crazy Sweet Score!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

A Crazy Sweet Score!

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 pm

I totally didn't need this guitar, but I love my burst so much as a studio player, that when I spotted this thing in such a cheap auction I had to pounce.

I already have the sunburst HIIN OT from 1972 in birch, in rare hardtail. There's a few HIIN's sitting up on verb and eBay, and they range in price from just shy of $1900, to just shy of 800.

I spotted the auction on this a week or so before sunday, and kept an eye on it because it looked like few people picked up that it was there. Bidding ended this past sunday at 9pm. I would check back in on it and it would creep up 20 bucks or so. . . by the time Sunday 8:30pm rolled around it had ticked up only to just shy of FOUR HUNDRED!. I jumped in by the last couple of minutes and started warring with 7 other bidders with new bids flying in rapid fire over the past sixty seconds. Just by dint of how late it took for the real people who recognized the guitar for what it was to start doing battle (or we all thought we were slick at the same time and waited, thinking nobody else was looking and that we'd get the axe for almost nothing), by the time our bid war ended in those final seconds, my last opportunity to bid-- at 460 dollars-- was it.

485 delivered from PA to here on my job... unfreakinbelievable, and with the original chipboard case, which you never ever see. This thin is all original, in great shape. It totally smells like "musty basement." Like, someone bought the guitar in their teenage years, or they got it as a gift, never learned to play, and it sat in the basement for decades. The case is soaked with that smell. The Braz rosewood board is dying of thirst, needs oil badly. But like all Hags, the neck is dead straight, right on and rock solid.

For some reason the passage of time has made this super cool cherry color look almost like a burst in the center, into a lighter rose color. This guitar is such a cool score, it's rare arctic birch in cherry, usually the cherry HIIN's were made of honduran mahog.

Here she is:

Everything is 1000% original. The stoptail string space staggering looks off because there's two holes for each string since these are good for a 12 string w 12 holes. He just threaded them in unevenly.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A Crazy Sweet Score!

Postby ZooHead » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Nice, it look like it's in great shape.

If you put the case in the sun for a while
you may get rid of some of the smell.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Just for the uninformed, this is a Hagstrom HIIN OT, and it, like my burst, is 1972.

Thanks for the advice on the smell.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Oh man, that aged semi-burst is gorgeous.

Cool neck joint on that, I don't think I've ever seen a bolt-on with a set-neck style heel like that. Looks like it could easily be a "best of both worlds" kind of scenario, provided that it's got enough contact to be stable with only three bolts placed so far from the edges (and given that Hagstrom makes good stuff, I'm guessing it's perfectly stable and tight).

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:14 pm

That is a sweet score. Very nice!

I'll second that on putting the case in the sun. The sun gets rid of a lot of nasty things

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm

And if you need to close it up for any amount of time, put crumpled up loose newspaper inside. It can help absorb stuff. I use this on coolers and it at least helps a little bit.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am

Another Old Hag turns up on the Dr's doorstep!

Congrats, she's a beauty. Especially considering it is older than I am!
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am

A neat guitar! I don't think I've ever seen one with the strat-style jack *on* a pickguard before.

Did it ever come in a color like Kiesel's pearl blue metallic?

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:00 am

Congrats, man!
I know how much you dig those vintage Hags! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks all--it sounds awesome. Interestingly, looking at the other birch-cherry example below, it seems to age into a semi burst as well. Wild.

spudmunkey wrote:A neat guitar! I don't think I've ever seen one with the strat-style jack *on* a pickguard before.

Did it ever come in a color like Kiesel's pearl blue metallic?

Fender did that briefly with the "bowling ball strats" in the eighties I believe. But it wasn't the angled jack like the classic strat or the HIIN.
As far as colors on those vintage dubcuts w the 2 buckers (HIIN), I know of the two reds:

cherry birch (like mine, this one isn't mine):
Cherry mahog:
Burst birch, like my first HIIN OT:
Black birch
Super rare brownburst on hog:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Updated project shot--probably my favorite Alnico II humbuckers on the planet, the final three (vintage contingent) on the right.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Very cool!!!!! Congrats on some more Swedish goodness. :applause:
I've been distracted lately with something Swedish made too. It has cured my GAS for the moment. Now I'm burning lots of gas with a fully Ohlins (Swedish made suspension) equipped Yamaha R1. :D (It's a motorcycle) :wink:
THE BEST CURE FOR G.A.S. !!!!!!!!! :stir:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 am

Nice! Nothing like hitting the road in sweet weather, feeling the air wrapping you up in the way that can only happen on a motorcycle, with a nice smooth, well engineered ride. You have the "Patented H-Expander Truss System" of the motorcycle world.

I just bumped into an interesting thing:

This.
Must be new, not even on the co website yet. They scanned the original "open book" headstock, one of the most unique and wicked in the books IMHO. And they kept it true to the original by reverting back to making it a bolt which definitely gave those vintage originals an aggressive punch and a percussive *thwack* that a set neck double humbucker equivalent like an SG or Guild Polaris definitely didn't have. Also that unique vintage rail/clip TOM bridge design they came up with back in the late 50's and used up to the late 70's has it's own sound, and it hasn't been used here (NOT ideal for a trem guitar anyhow, it's why I only buy hardtails of the vintage item).

And, Cynical, it keeps the set neck style neck joint of the original:

Which I see now goes all the way back to the early 60's, when their ancestor, the Kent/Hagstrom I, was introduced.

So this took some work, as the Pat Smear sig (the Foo Fighters/Nirvana/Germs dood) is based on the HIIN, but uses the D'Aquisto headstock and is set neck.

Speaking of those Hag 1's, this is amazing... this guitar (below), used by Neil Young, went on auction late last year, and IIRC it sold at between 4-5 grand. Which seems fair... Neil Young is not Hendrix or Clapton, and Hagstrom is not Fender or Gibson in the average mind (despite the fact that that was always the point of the brand, rethinking and being unique).

Now... the nitwit who won the guitar has put it up for sale on Amazon. Asking price?

A nice and easy $24,999.99

And I love how it's written:
"(Reg. $29,998.80)
On Sale. $24,999.99
(You save $4,998.81)"

Aren't we fortunate for their great generosity, allowing us to save such a large amount of money? I wonder how they'll manage to survive and pull a profit with only a 400% margin on an auction piece?
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Hags ... B079BG635R
The axe:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:35 pm

It occurs to me, do the old ones with the three-bolt joint have a Gibson-style angle to the neck? And if so, does the new one have a angle-less neck? That Tun-o-matic style bridge doesn't look recessed, which would usually indicate an angle, but I'd read that one of the advantages of a 3-bolt neck joint is that it allows for an angled neck and that a Fender-style joint doesn't.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:28 pm

So after a long discussion with old swedish boys over on Facebook in one of the Hagstrom forums, some of whom worked in the old swedish factory back in the day, this burst in the Cherry is not an effect of time (in fact, as you can see by the strength of the paint in the group shot on the couch above, these guitars are famous for their paint never fading: both Gibson and Fender had approached the Swedes a few times trying to get the elements of their finish that kept the colors so strong over time, but paint master took his secrets to the grave.).

It's actually a finish that's extremely rare on an HIIN (but mine is not the only one), that became better known on the later Super Swedes from the late seventies/early eighties: lingonberry burst.

One other guy says he has one, and this one here on a vintage sales site, also made of birch rather than mahogany, has it from 1972, it's from the same year and just a few serial numbers up from mine:

As for the angled neck on the vintage model, I'd say no. That's one of the reasons for the string tree, there's no tilt back to the headstock whatsoever, and the strings just run straight and level from the bridge over the pickups

As opposed to even the Carvin, whose angle is obvious:

I never saw a fret board drink that much lemon oil before. Now it looks gorgeous, just like the highly striped brown and amber Brazilian boards of those old Les Pauls.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:37 am

Holy cow! After cleaning this thing up, I decided to put on a set of nyxl 11's, which is the first time I think I've ever used this gauge on an electric guitar.

I reset the intonation, lowered the action (as you can see in the shot showing the straight angle of the neck, it's slightly high which is how it shipped), and after playing it over the past night and morning, I can formally say, "I am not a fan!"

Give me back my 9's and 10's thank you very much! Way too stiff.

I know srv played thirteens or fourteens... But it's just not my bag!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Holy cow! After cleaning this thing up, I decided to put on a set of nyxl 11's, which is the first time I think I've ever used this gauge on an electric guitar.

I reset the intonation, lowered the action (as you can see in the shot showing the straight angle of the neck, it's slightly high which is how it shipped), and after playing it over the past night and morning, I can formally say, "I am not a fan!"

Give me back my 9's and 10's thank you very much! Way too stiff.

I know srv played thirteens or fourteens... But it's just not my bag!

I did the same thing. Years ago. I wanted a bigger sound and went from 10s to 11s. I hated it and couldn't bend in key.

I went back to tens for a while and then started using 10-52s. I loved them and used them for years Just last year I started getting weird achy pains in my fretting hand so I went back to normal 10-46s and started focusing on better technique. No more pain!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:
I did the same thing. Years ago. I wanted a bigger sound and went from 10s to 11s. I hated it and couldn't bend in key.

I went back to tens for a while and then started using 10-52s. I loved them and used them for years Just last year I started getting weird achy pains in my fretting hand so I went back to normal 10-46s and started focusing on better technique. No more pain!

Some day I need to learn more about this technique thing...
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm

I've got a sore disc in my back, a sore scapula, and tendonitis in my elbow.. suddenly the idea looks attractive to me too!.

I lowered the bridge down a mm or so, and debating whether to toss these strings, but it's nowhere near as comfy and playable as even w 10's. (and I prefer 9's or 9.5's although I use 10's on my LP Special and sometimes on others... the koa Carvin is ALWAYS loaded w 9's)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:I wanted a bigger sound and went from 10s to 11s. I hated it and couldn't bend in key.

I can't remember where, but it's on YouTube somewhere

Anyway, talking about getting a bigger sound..I remember seeing an interview with Billy Gibbons. He recalled the first time he met BB King. Billy was was surprised by the light gauge strings BB uses. He said something to the effect...I thought you'd have a heavy set of strings to get that big sound. BB King replied why are you working so hard? BB was using 8's so Billy went with 7's.

Anyway...you reminded me of this interview and if I can find it I'll post it. I can't tell the story near as well as what Reverend Willy can.

Return to Other Gear