Koll Guitars (USA, Portland Area)

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Koll Guitars (USA, Portland Area)

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 am

Has anybody played any of these? These are priced on the high side, but--like Collings--if you're in the market for a high end Gibson and are ready to go up into the high 3k-5k range, these guitars provide a lot more build bang for yer buck (and quality control).

Just curious.

Duo Glide above.

Kind of like a cross between Gretsch and Gibson. They have some nice slab bodied set neck (and bolt neck) "Special" style guitars of primo quality. Like the Junior Glide:

I probably wouldn't buy one, but have heard great things about them here and there so was just curious if anyone around here has played one.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Koll Guitars (USA, Portland Area)

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:28 am

Outstanding guitars, I've played two. Don't know the model names, but one was a Junior-style in the offset horn style, and the other was a dual HB carved top thing in the same basic body style. Not much to say except perfectly built and finished, great tone, expensive but pretty easily justifiable if you've got the cash.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:33 am

Dang. I've got to hunt around here, there's got to be a dealer in NYC somewhere. Problem is having stock where I could play a few.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 am

Don't do that unless you're ready for long days of obsession and financial scheming/heartbreak. They really are outstanding guitars and you WILL want one. Even better, at least to me, is that Koll left the PBG (premier builders guild) a few years back and now every Koll is built by....Saul Koll (there is one other guy that works in the shop with him). There's really nothing else quite like them. I have just enough restraint to remember that I'm not touring or making money with music anymore, so guitars of that caliber aren't something I can personally justify. That's why I'm the mid-range hoochie, always knocking on the doors of Kiesel, Godin, used Hamer, etc. I sometimes think I should unload the whole mid-range pool for a real killer or two...but I know that wouldn't last.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Their prices aren't that severe. No worse than buying a good LP Custom or simple R0-9. If I liked one that much I'd just pull a Carr style Zen Monk Savings Regimen. My mind is all over the place right now--I'm either going to buy the most Gibson of Gibsons, like a good 2009-11 Custom or maybe a 70's SG with TTops... of course a Tele is right there in my frontbrain...I have a vintage 1980 SuperSwede--yes, the real thing, one of the original 1500 manufactured--available if I want one from a secret source... but these left field top quality gits are always a left field thought.

Just last week I was checking out the interesting tones pulled out of these foil pups on the Super Cub, via Billy Bob Sling Blade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM08ANsS8qg
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 am

When thought of that way, you're right. For me, that wouldn't even be a contest - I'd pull the trigger on a Koll long before a Gibby, but YMMV. As weird as it sounds, in my experience a great archetype LP and a great archetype Tele are darn near interchangeable. Teles have always had a strange rep but the reality is that a good one is a big, meaty sounding guitar that makes a Strat sound positively anemic. For me the traditional Tele ergos bring the suck, but I sure love the way they sound. Life is short, buy 'em all. :mrgreen:
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 am

What did you think of that Super Cub (if you listened).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm

I like everything I heard there. It reminds me a lot of the big-bobbin singles founds in a number of 60s-era modernist guitars, and my guess is that was probably the point. They've got some jangle and some meat at the same time, a little rude but with some body. I'm thinking if you stuck them under some cascading gain layers things might start falling apart. But that's not where I'd want this guitar to live sonically anyway unless I was doing some kind of clangy punk or alt stuff which ain't my bag.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Yeah it's a unique sound--it has a classic, sort of robust vibe to it but it has that hint of transparency to it that keeps it alive and capturing your attention. I bet it's easy to work with in the studio as far as placing it in the mix.

People are always looking for the top riding penetration of single coils and Fender scale, but the impact and volume of buckers/rude Gibbies.. there's always new ideas on how to put that together in convincing, authoritative-sounding ways, and this guitar does it nicely. The set neck and mahog body keep it warm and broad enough.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear