SPLAWN QR PROJECT

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SPLAWN QR PROJECT

Postby kmd09 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:09 am

Bought me a Splawn QR awhile back and while I love the amp I didn't care for the look. It came in Boa Tolex and to be honest, I'm not a Boa fan. I decided to freshen it up a bit. I bought a new Nitro headshell from Splawn and had the Z28 striping option done. I had them do it in black Tolex with silver Tolex stripes along with silver piping. I also replaced the black chickenhead knobs with chrome ones to finish it off. I've been a huge Oakland, soon to be Las Vegas, Raiders fan for 40+ years and as you can see, this is my Raider amp. Before I bought this amp I had bought a Marshall JVM 210H and like the amp but this QR just blows it out of the water. The QR has 3 "gears" for the overdrive channel. Gear 1 is a hot rod Plexi, gear 2 a hot rod 800 and gear 3 a super hot rod 800 and they do not disappoint! I'm lovin it. The clean channel is so-so but this amp is all about the gain. Needless to say, the JVM isn't getting much play time lately. I'm running all my amps thru my V3 cab loaded with V30s. I've read on Splawn forums that the QR doesn't much care for V30s so I'm in the process or reloading the cab. My first step is going to be trying it with 2 V30s and 2 Creambacks in an"X" pattern. I've already got one of the Creambacks and am just waiting for a good deal on a second. The next step, just to to see how it sounds, will be to replace the 2 V30s with either Greenbacks or Splawn Smallblocks. Here are the before and after pics. Just for kicks, I took the Splawn logo off of the old headshell and put it on the cab. Just being goofy. Now that I'm retired I've got a lot, maybe too much, free time on my hands!
DSCN1794.JPG

DSCN1862.JPG

DSCN1877.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kmd09 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AC375 DEEP RED ON FLAME
V49K DEEP NIGHTBURST ON FLAME
CT624M DEEP AQUABURST ON FLAME
CS624S DEEP PURPLE ON QUILT
SH575 DEEP ORANGEBURST ON FLAME
'79 CM130
PRS SE245
X100B
V3 1/2 STACK
AG100D
BX700, BRX10.2, BRX15.3
FENDER STRAT, TACOMA DM-18, TRAYNOR YGL3-100 MKIII, YAMAHA G1OO-212

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SPLAWN QR PROJECT

Postby slayer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:00 am

I`ve always wanted to try a Splawn amp. Your seems like a keeper!!
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

Return to Other Gear