Doc Turn's Heavy Clouds/Pure Smut Incorp Page

Share music you've made with your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars gear.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Doc Turn's Heavy Clouds/Pure Smut Incorp Page

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:34 am

So continuing on my idea to create a single page of links so that this is the last thread I'd need to create as I add links here & there when I feel like sharing.

And I feel like sharing an original WAV of the nasty little piece called "Heart of Ashes/Execution Night," (was originally going to be called Soul of a Killer) I wrote this over a two month stretch of complete seclusion over the summer. First time I ever executed a mix of this size and length before (and thus sometimes the difficulty of controlling the elements is evident). At times there are near 25 tracks spinning off at the same time, at a 16 bit depth no less. The D3200 requires you to use 16 tracks (vs 32) when going up to 24 bit from 16, so I had to hold down at 16 bit for this song as it was too big.

I'm not completely satisfied with this mix but I quite like the song--I can't stand the compression that SC inflicts on it:

Heart of Ashes - Exec Night WAV format.

Heart of Ashes - Execution Night on Soundcloud. (Lyrics & notes)

I have lots of new stuff on deck and will def share some of it here, and just post in this thread.

Adding--
Dead Man's Blues Soundcloud (Incl. lyrics and tech data)
Box link for HQ wav.
Original thread for DMBlues and many generous comments down below.

ADDING:
American Living Room AKA "Sullen Eyes".
American Living Room in HQ WAV.
Last edited by Doctor Turn on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Doc Turn's Heavy Clouds/Pure Smut Incorp Page

Postby skully13a » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Hey good song, Doc.
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

dach
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby dach » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 pm

I feel like I'm listening to a song that spans 3 decades of influences. You definitely have a unique vibe and (for me) it's interesting and enjoyable. I would imagine a 20 something would not get this at all, but as the old saying goes, you can't please everyone, right? Great job.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:16 am

Holy cow, I've been so distracted lately w the job and holidays that i missed these comments. Thank you for the time taken and the kind words guys, I very much appreciate it.

What surpises me is the positive response these kinds of songs have been getting from the young people around me. I'm not really publicizing these pre-band demos outside of this Carvin forum and my tiny circle of FB friends and family. I havent put up the links anywhere else.. I chose this forum because nobody knows me, it's a pretty diverse but generally musically literate group (with virtually no trolling).. I'm pretty much testing reaction to my voice which I'm not crazy about. But the feedback has been pretty decent.

Its an unusual time w the general public... theres something resembling a hunger for something better than Megan Trainor & Lil Wayne, but the playing field is so fragmented and scattered its tough for the good signed acts to gain traction. Not that my music would stand a chance.... just sayin.

Thanks again guys!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 am

New song,

Heavy Clouds

Guitars are all M22N for those interested in such things. Some things I wish were better vocally, but it's just a demo and can only work with what my DNA and chords gave me. Lyrics under "info".
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:41 am

Just in case anyone is interested (though with zero comments lol), here's an hq wav version of Heavy Clouds for stream or download to drive or device.

You never can tell--suddenly my FB link for the song (the only other place I share these demos) lit up with likes and comments from my small circle of middle class family and work friends, who usually don't say much. It's a very vintage-y song that is the sum of all of it's parts at every moment.. no real featured guitar etc.

But a strange thing happened with this Box link: I uploaded the song to Box on the day I wrote the SCloud announce here and on FB, but held back linking the WAV file, and only went public w the SCloud link. But somehow, the WAV version of the song was downloaded/streamed from Box 16 times by the end of the first day... somehow a group of people figured out how to get into my Box and downloaded the song in HQ. Weird stuff.

Anyhow, I've changed the password and all should be well.

I'm hoping by the end of this weekend to get to update my initial post, so that it is a one stop with all the links for both SC and WAV for everything I've shared on this site since the beginning, which was the goal all along for the idea of having a "band/artist page" so that the topic isn't blitzed with numerous posts. I'll create a new post within the topic with a new song so the topic bumps so folks will look, but also update the first post so it's a reference for everything.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:27 am

Listening to 'Heart of Ashes' now. I'm liking it. I thought about getting a dedicated, stand-alone multitrack thingy, but decided to stick with the USB interface and my computer.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks much Brent!

Yeah, I'm thinking of expanding my rig, to at least do some post work on the tracks on a PC, but for primary mixing and recording, the thought of using a mouse and not having knobs and sliders to work over an actual distance for minute adjustments and automation... I just don't want to make that jump. I just prefer having the physical board. And many of the primary effects are still quite good (some like the guitar amps are god awful and are completely smoked by an ELeven Rack or AxeFX) even though they're on a decade old.

You're an excellent lyricist Brent, I'm waiting for you to fire up some more stuff. As for Ashes, every time I listen to it I think 2 things.. "Wow, that's a pretty demented song," and 2) "I need to remix that thing."

But thanks again my friend!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

rynnce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rynnce » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:53 am

Doc,

can't help but pick up a strong Beatles/Cream vibe in your stuff - hope that is a compliment to you. Also, at times your vox are very Joe Walsh-like.

I totally dig your compositions and vocal melodies over the chords you choose. Rhythmically the guitar playing is not very typical - very choppy and disjointed at times, but it totally fits the songs and makes the vocals pop way more than normal strumming would.

Very interesting & fun listening!

Rob

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:36 am

Thanks a bunch Rob, and thanks for listening.

Cream was my favorite band in the 9th and 10th grade, and I still love them... and this past summer I went through a gigantic Beatles rediscovery, which is where songs like When Worlds... and Heavy Clouds came from beyond all doubt. So your ears are detecting very real and gigantic influences over my life... absolutely on those two.

That's the second time someone said they heard Walsh in my vox... when I first joined the forum someone said that. I never owned any Walsh or really listened to him (though I respect him a lot)... maybe it's the touch of the NY accent Joe has when he sings? I'm born and raised and my family goes back over 100 yrs here so it's very hard to shake off.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback and for listening!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Doc Turn's Heavy Clouds/Pure Smut Incorp Page

Postby brento73 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:27 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Thanks much Brent!

Yeah, I'm thinking of expanding my rig, to at least do some post work on the tracks on a PC, but for primary mixing and recording, the thought of using a mouse and not having knobs and sliders to work over an actual distance for minute adjustments and automation... I just don't want to make that jump. I just prefer having the physical board. And many of the primary effects are still quite good (some like the guitar amps are god awful and are completely smoked by an ELeven Rack or AxeFX) even though they're on a decade old.

You're an excellent lyricist Brent, I'm waiting for you to fire up some more stuff. As for Ashes, every time I listen to it I think 2 things.. "Wow, that's a pretty demented song," and 2) "I need to remix that thing."

But thanks again my friend!

I think "I need to re-record/remix this... " on pretty much everything I do. :)

I'm pretty happy with Last Good Thing, but even that might get re-worked a little.

As for YOUR mix, I think it feels a bit chaotic, which adds to the demented song!

rynnce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rynnce » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:01 am

Doctor Turn wrote:
That's the second time someone said they heard Walsh in my vox... when I first joined the forum someone said that.

Hmmm...you know now that you mention it I remember saying that here on the forum a while back. Maybe I mentioned it to you already?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:15 am

Yup, you were the one-- you mentioned it here on my first song post for When Worlds Collide.

Not that version of WWCollide, btw... original (for those who haven't heard).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:00 pm

Adding: Dead Man's Blues (going to delete the original thread if possible by deletiing the first post):
Doctor Turn wrote:Put this up just over a day ago--I went to one of the saddest wakes of my life in October (widow wrapped herself around the corpse and was shaking the whole coffin in hysterics at the end.. real sad.) Song popped out.

Anyhow gives a sense of the range on the pickups thru the x100 b. Most of the song is the M22N clean w/acoustics, one direct channel and the other miked thru the XV212 mellow and rolled off like a 50's LP.

Then at the end the M22SD shows his inconsiderate face (X amp hi gain).

SoundCloud link

Box Link. (SC has lyrics sheet and song data)

I'm accumulating this new material for a coming project, but it's cool sharing w my Carvin brothers (and sisters).

Comments for DMBlues:

Johnland82 wrote:That's rockin' man!

dach wrote:I hear about 10 different influences in this...all from the late '60's. Pink Floyd, Stones, Bowie, Amboy Dukes, etc... you're definitely showing your age if you have personal experience with this type of sound, not that that is a bad thing. I liked it. One side of my earbuds was really distorted though.

Doctor Turn wrote:I'm a child of the metal years--80's. But I didn't like much metal then like now. I was (am) a jazz/Zappa/King Crimson nut back then. JOe Jackson, Clash, lots of good stuff back then. Mingus, Dolphy, Coltrane (dead), DeJOhnette, Blythe, Threadgill (alive, met, seen).

The older I get the more spaced out my songwriting becomes (and more of a lyric based songwriter singer I become; I used to write nothing but instrumentals along the Crimson/Boingo lines), and I just write the kind of music I wish was on the radio today. I write for myself, and if someone likes it--BONUS!

I appreciate the time taken sitting through it. And appreciate the compliments! Thanks much!

jfo3000 wrote:Very cool track. Took me back to hearing the Spiders From Mars in my neighbor's basement; not that anything was specifically like Ziggy, just the overall vibe I guess.

Doctor Turn wrote:Thanks much, I appreciate it.

BTW Dach's comment about one of his buds distorting highlights the drag of mixing nowadays when few use tone controls anymore. You have to mix for every sound system on earth including full living room systems as well as 5 dollar earbuds (I'm not saying Dachs are 5 dollar buds).

I mix on Samson reference speakers and doublecheck w Sennheiser buds . . . but some phones/pods have built in compressors on them (as does Beats on Windows, annoyingly impossible to remove on most.. I NEVER listen with buds on my laptop, I hear the native compressor sucking and pumping in and out), some don't, so mileage varies. But that's the first I've heard of a problem by a listener.. obviously turn down and see if it goes away on that side. But this of course is not metered for the radio/TV levels. Just a demo.

But thanks again.

ElfDude wrote:Listening now. This is really cool! :applause:

Doctor Turn wrote:Thank you Elf! I really appreciate you taking the time!

I await your next upload--always happy to listen to your stuff.

crazybass1 wrote:I could see Lenny Kravitz opening for you at MSG. Listened to all the sound cloud tracks and really dug it, very moving. Very few people could lay down tracks like this. This is beyond talent.
looking forward to what comes next!

Doctor Turn wrote:Thank you much, man--means a lot since I really only just started singing out front.

My fave is one I never put here, "Heart of Ashes/Exec. Night," the testament of a serial killer about to be put to death. Locked in for a month recording- on the second night of the final mixdown I looked in the mirror and had to take a selfie for posterity of the wild hair, overgrown beard and crazy eyes. ALmost looked like what I was singing about.

Thank you again.

X-Mann wrote:Ok, this is far out trippy cool & I feel like I just heard some unheard of Jim Morrison/Doors music that was never released.

That was just a plain cool vibe. 8)

X

Doctor Turn wrote:Hey X thanks so much for listening. I'll take an X Mann compliment any day! Really appreciate you taking the time!

X-Mann wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Hey X thanks so much for listening. I'll take an X Mann compliment any day! Really appreciate you taking the time!

Lol.....As guitar players we always want to play & sound like other people right? I'd love to write a tune like this style, but it's just not in me. This tune did what music is saposed to do, it moved me.

There's so much great music out today, but it's coming from local guys & on these forums.

Keep on Rocking Doc!

X

Doctor Turn wrote:Thank you once again, X. It means a lot. . I hate my voice so much so any affirmation is a good thing for me. As musicians we can often hear our mistakes and weak spots too much. A good friend and old band mate thinks I've hit burnout, because I'm holding back stuff that he thinks is totally release-ready.

BTW X, I hope you put up something with the new K Holdsworths, like to hear how they sound on a CT/CS6/mahogany axe, in your hands to boot. (I think I remember you saying they were on the way to you?)

Cheers!

X-Mann wrote:
Doctor Turn wrote:Thank you once again, X. It means a lot. . I hate my voice so much so any affirmation is a good thing for me. As musicians we can often hear our mistakes and weak spots too much. A good friend and old band mate thinks I've hit burnout, because I'm holding back stuff that he thinks is totally release-ready.

BTW X, I hope you put up something with the new K Holdsworths, like to hear how they sound on a CT/CS6/mahogany axe, in your hands to boot. (I think I remember you saying they were on the way to you?)

Cheers!

We are always our own worst critics, but if done right, it makes your music better in the end. I say release it if it's the best that you can do & if you can honestly say "I really put in the extra time on this track", but that's just me.

Focus on what you do well, stay positive & things will all line-up in the end. Contact me if you ever need help & help others along the way too.

X

Ok.....I'm going to share w/ you a tip & forum rule that I live by & this has nothing to do w/ you & maybe everything as well. It has served me well & may for you as well.

X-Tip/Rant/Thought: Every musician wants their music heard & hopefully commented on by those that are moved & like it. Most people that do end up listening never comment, even if they really like it. How many times have you seen threads where there are zero replies back on a good piece of music or a playing video? I see it all of the time & while it can make you question things, there's a reason in my eyes why this happens.

You've gotta give a comment to (maybe) get a comment. Most people that want comments never give any (positive) comments back to others. The real key though here is to GIVE honest & true comments ONLY on the pieces & players (of all levels) that move you. I believe in saying nothing 98% of the time if I don't like something too.

I only posted this as a way to get you & others more comments, fans & feedback on your wonderful music.

Just something to think about....

Ok, yea, I just got the new Kiesel set of pups & will put these in my CS424 Gold Top & see what they do w/ my new Fractal Axe Fx II XL+. I'm working on a 2nd Fractal video & really want my Gold Top to be the guitar in this next video. I've never put a pickup in a guitar before....so....wish me luck!

Tim

skully13a wrote::shock: :oops: Arrgh! X-mann! He's absolutely right....I listened to your track & didn't comment. It's a good fricken tune, too.
Anyway, Doctor Turn, thanks for sharing your songs, man... 8) :)

Doctor Turn wrote:Thanks very much once again guys, I truly appreciate it.. And there's a lot to be said for X's point... I try to comment only when I truly like a piece of music. . otherwise it's just meaningless tooting because it's on the Carvin board.

EDIT: O well, impossible to delete (no "X" option on the posts) without mod powers. Mods feel free to delete the original Dead Man's Blues thread to save space. I'm going to do the same with When Worlds Collide soon, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:01 pm

American Living Room AKA "Sullen Eyes".

In the absence of one of my old drummers going Keith Moon berserk here (which the song is conceived for) I went all the way in the other direction and used a simple drum machine built into the board.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:53 am

Great job Doc. You've definitely got a unique style. I hear overtones of the Beatles and maybe 10% Beck (or something) in American Living Room. Original and catchy though! Well done man.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks brother. I truly appreciate it.

What the song most reminded me of originally was Bowie, a kind of Ashes to Ashes feel.. and since I revisited some older material (with Heavy Clouds), after Bowie died I dusted this song off thinking it was a good time to work on it. It originally always struck me as a mix of Who and Bowie influences, but after this second pass and the massive revisions... it kind of shed its influences and sort of became what it is.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to it, and I'm glad you liked it.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:38 am

Doctor Turn wrote:What the song most reminded me of originally was Bowie

interesting you say that...I was gonna say there was some Bowie in there. I was distinctly reminded me of him.

rynnce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rynnce » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Nice stuff. Very catchy & radio friendly. Hope you copyright your stuff or some David Geffen will steal it.

Rob

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:42 pm

rynnce wrote:Nice stuff. Very catchy & radio friendly. Hope you copyright your stuff or some David Geffen will steal it.

Rob

Thanks a lot once again Rob. What's wigging me out is on my little SCloud I'm suddenly getting follows and likes from teen and twenty-something girls. . . ME. I guess it's because deep down the song is a "free your mind and your ass will follow," kind of song. In truth it was written during a moment of shock when two of my most long term ex gf's (7 years, 9 years respectively) melted down after going through unbelievably horrible divorces. And marriage was the reason the relationships ended with me (Me no marry). So maybe the sincerity is bleeding through the demo.

Anyway thanks for listening, and I'm glad you liked it.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Share Your Kiesel Guitars Made Music