Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Official Forum for Tech Support from Kiesel Guitars Specialists

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, Albert C

User avatar
hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 643
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: utah

Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby hallwayminstrel » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am

It finally happened. :applause:

I did not notice this time when the set screw holding the trem arm in place finally fell out into the carpet. It has since been vacuumed, I am sure. :? This is on my BoltV. (Vintage trem.)

So... Where to get such a thing? I've checked this website and GC.

Maybe the hardware store?
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3923
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby arahobob » Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 am

Call kiesel.
Ask for Albert.

He'll be able to help you.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 643
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: utah

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby hallwayminstrel » Tue May 09, 2017 1:50 pm

arahobob wrote:Call kiesel.
Ask for Albert.

He'll be able to help you.


Yep. That is my plan B.

I'm wondering if this is a standard kind of screw that I can get locally. If I figure that out, I'll let y'all know. Just hoping somebody else has already had the same problem and can say "yeah, go to Home Depot, buy X."

I'm going to take my allen wrench to Home Depot and see what fits. Hmm, maybe this screw is the same as the bridge height screws? :think:

If the only place on planet earth to obtain this screw is Albert at Kiesel, then that is the answer I will live with.
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16017
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 09, 2017 1:56 pm

I feel like I need to strip down my Aries and measure each screw size so that I have a "part list" in case something goes missing.

I just had to assembly a monitor arm yesterday, and every single screw was detailed in the manual: diameter, thread pitch, length, head style, and finish. It turns out I was missing one. I went to OSH, bought one, and was up and running in less than an hour.

User avatar
hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 643
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: utah

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby hallwayminstrel » Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I feel like I need to strip down my Aries and measure each screw size so that I have a "part list" in case something goes missing...


Right? I wish I had looked more closely at the set screw *before* I lost it forever, :lol:
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3923
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby arahobob » Tue May 09, 2017 2:29 pm

hallwayminstrel wrote:
arahobob wrote:Call kiesel.
Ask for Albert.

He'll be able to help you.


Yep. That is my plan B.

I'm wondering if this is a standard kind of screw that I can get locally. If I figure that out, I'll let y'all know. Just hoping somebody else has already had the same problem and can say "yeah, go to Home Depot, buy X."

I'm going to take my allen wrench to Home Depot and see what fits. Hmm, maybe this screw is the same as the bridge height screws? :think:

If the only place on planet earth to obtain this screw is Albert at Kiesel, then that is the answer I will live with.


When I got my bolt (used) it's wilky (garbage ) had no set screw.
I was unable to figure out the size / thread count anywhere online. If you had that, I'm sure you could order one online .
I'd be worried the wrong thread count could mess up the bridge. Small screws, tiny threads - don't take much to ruin.
I'm pretty doubtful Home Depot carries anything that size. My guess is that it's metric.


It took a while but Albert finally sent me one.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2228
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Colorado

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby dejabluguitar » Sat May 13, 2017 9:33 am

That sucks. On mine I noticed the screw never stayed tight, the bar was always loose. My solution, a drop of slow curing super glue on the set screw holds it and you can still remove it need be.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band
Image

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3923
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby arahobob » Sat May 13, 2017 9:37 am

dejabluguitar wrote:That sucks. On mine I noticed the screw never stayed tight, the bar was always loose. My solution, a drop of slow curing super glue on the set screw holds it and you can still remove it need be.


I've used clear nail polish too.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16017
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby spudmunkey » Sat May 13, 2017 10:08 am

You could probably use purple Loctite, which is their low strength for tight threads, or possibly the blue Loctite, which is medium duty. But I suppose if you happen to have clear nail polish around, no harm in using that. :)

User avatar
hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 643
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: utah

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby hallwayminstrel » Tue May 23, 2017 11:42 am

For the knowledge base:

    Everbilt
    M3-0.5 x 6 mm Zinc-Plated Plain Metric Socket Cap Screw (3-Piece per Bag)
    39 cents at Home Depot
So that's what I found that was available locally at the store, with no shipping. I'm pretty sure a "set screw" of the same type would do the trick as well. The cap is, well, ugly, but it is small enough that it is not a problem to install it.

I've gooped it down with "Amazing Goop." Now I have two extras.

I went through a lot of little bags-o-screws before finding this one. :oops: :applause:

*edit* Oh yeah, buy a hex-wrench set (five bucks or so) because the original hex wrench is too little for this screw.

The original hex wrench might work for the socket set-screw variety.
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

User avatar
arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 3923
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Oakhurst, NJ

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby arahobob » Tue May 23, 2017 2:03 pm

hallwayminstrel wrote:For the knowledge base:

    Everbilt
    M3-0.5 x 6 mm Zinc-Plated Plain Metric Socket Cap Screw (3-Piece per Bag)
    39 cents at Home Depot
So that's what I found that was available locally at the store, with no shipping. I'm pretty sure a "set screw" of the same type would do the trick as well. The cap is, well, ugly, but it is small enough that it is not a problem to install it.

I've gooped it down with "Amazing Goop." Now I have two extras.

I went through a lot of little bags-o-screws before finding this one. :oops: :applause:

*edit* Oh yeah, buy a hex-wrench set (five bucks or so) because the original hex wrench is too little for this screw.

The original hex wrench might work for the socket set-screw variety.


Awesome find!!!
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Rialas
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Apr 2017

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby Rialas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:18 am

Thanks folks, glad I'm not the only one having a loosening set screw issue, I'll try the suggestions.
Really don't like play in the tremolo arm as it's clicking a little as it loosens.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16017
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:43 am

Maybe there are issues I'm not aware of with this, but I wish all these screw-retained arms had a stepped grove so that a screw could "catch" on the arm so that it could swing freely, but it would still be captive and wouldn't come out on its own... if that makes sense.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16017
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Vintage Trem Arm Set Screw

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 am

duplicate post


Return to Customer Service & Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests