First Kiesel, VM8

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

clayyton

First Kiesel, VM8

Postby clayyton » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 am

I had never actually heard of Kiesel (if you don't count Carvin, that is) until a good friend invited me over to check out his new VM7. I was so blown away by the craftsmanship and playability that I spent the next month creating 150+ (this is a conservative estimate) hypothetical builds of various Vader models on Kiesel's site before pulling the trigger on a VM8. I would be lying if I said the waiting anxiety doesn't rival what I felt before the birth of my first child haha.

anyhow, here's the specs

VM8 8 String MULTISCALE VADER
ASH SWAMP ASH BODY
LMBT LIMBA TOP, BLACK
BST BLACKBURST EDGES (thin blackburst)
CS CLEAR SATIN MATTE FINISH
CMB CHAMBERED BODY
5ML 5PC-MAPLE NECK W/LIMBA STR
50 palemoon fingerboard
ISOD STAGGERED OFFSET DOT INLAY
IAB ACRYLIC BLACK INLAYS
STF STAINLESS STEEL FRETS
PPB PICKUP POLES BLACK
46 INSTALL 1046 STRINGS
DSLB DROP SHADOW LOGO BLACK
SL STRAPLOCKS BY DUNLOP INSTA
BPP PURPLE HEART REAR COVER PL

Ordered 5/11/18, estimated completion date 7/20/18

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: First Kiesel, VM8

Postby ZooHead » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm with you man, why didn't I know about these guys before!

Now I have two GIS and two in the oven, just ordered an
HH2 20 mins ago on top of a V6 I ordered weeks ago.

Finest guitars available anywhere.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 am

Sounds very cool!

I know the journey of spec-ing out hundreds of variants in the builder, even totally different models! I think I spent about a year doing it before I ordered my HF2s(see signature).

Just to clarify something you wrote in case it's unclear to those just joining the family:

Kiesel IS Carvin guitars. It's not simply some of the same people, but in fact the exact same outfit, re-branded, in a new office/factory, with some new/better equipment. If you've heard good things about Carvin over the years, know that Kiesel is the same folks making even better instruments now.

I'm thinking about getting a headless guitar with a trem/whammy/vibrato(call it what you will), because I think they're cool, even though I don't really NEED another guitar.

At any rate, welcome to the forums!

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ZooHead » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 am

brento73 wrote:Kiesel IS Carvin guitars. It's not simply some of the same people, but in fact the exact same outfit, re-branded, in a new office/factory, with some new/better equipment. If you've heard good things about Carvin over the years, know that Kiesel is the same folks making even better instruments now.

I heard about the Carvin/Kiesel saga from the video explaining why
they where once Kiesel, changed to Carvin, now back to Kiesel again.
That story did a lot to sway me over and give them a try, so glad I did.

Truly, for me this is as close to heaven as it gets.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 am

Yeah, one reason that I'm likely to get a bass next is that my guitar is SO good it's hard to justify why I need anything else! :)

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ZooHead » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 am

A guitar player should have at least one bass.
If I didn't have an Ibanez bass already I would do it too.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 am

Yeah, I have a cheap Yamaha i got used for $80. It's ok, especially for the money, but I feel like I'm ready to get something good.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 am

I bought a cheap Ibanez for about $170, if I remember right, but holy hell to I want a JBM5 now...and I've only played this bass, like, 10 times in the last 3 months. Ha!

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:51 pm

So, just clear black limba/ swamp ash with a black burst? Sounds awesome.
That pale moon will look amazing for a fretboard, too. 8)
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:12 pm

ZooHead wrote:I'm with you man, why didn't I know about these guys before!

Now I have two GIS and two in the oven, just ordered an
HH2 20 mins ago on top of a V6 I ordered weeks ago.

Finest guitars available anywhere.

darn, two at once! That's awesome man, I imagine you're pretty stoked. While I hope that Kiesel continues to grow and get the recognition they deserve, I do like the experience of ordering from a small (I use the word small as a relative term) American shop. The level of customization they offer is mind blowing and the guitars are just so badass.

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:17 pm

skully13a wrote:So, just clear black limba/ swamp ash with a black burst? Sounds awesome.
That pale moon will look amazing for a fretboard, too. 8)

Yes sir! I'm dying to see what the pale moon will end up looking like, every piece has such a unique pattern. I haven't been able to find any pictures online of a satin finish black limba top with black burst and a PME fretboard so it will be a treat opening that case for the first time. I'll definitely throw some photos up when it arrives.

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 pm

brento73 wrote:Sounds very cool!

I know the journey of spec-ing out hundreds of variants in the builder, even totally different models! I think I spent about a year doing it before I ordered my HF2s(see signature).

Just to clarify something you wrote in case it's unclear to those just joining the family:

Kiesel IS Carvin guitars. It's not simply some of the same people, but in fact the exact same outfit, re-branded, in a new office/factory, with some new/better equipment. If you've heard good things about Carvin over the years, know that Kiesel is the same folks making even better instruments now.

I'm thinking about getting a headless guitar with a trem/whammy/vibrato(call it what you will), because I think they're cool, even though I don't really NEED another guitar.

At any rate, welcome to the forums!

Looks like it was time well spent, that thing is sweet! how do you like the MIDI feature? That's another thing I was entirely blind to the existence of until coming across Kiesel.

Nothing wrong with having options! A trem is really nice when you want it. I rarely use the one on my Ibanez S but when I want it, I'm glad it's there. Headless guitars have such a great look too, in my opinion. They definitely make you look twice the first time you see one.

Thanks, man! I figured I've been skulking around silently on the forums long enough and it was time to contribute haha.

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:37 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I bought a cheap Ibanez for about $170, if I remember right, but holy hell to I want a JBM5 now...and I've only played this bass, like, 10 times in the last 3 months. Ha!

I feel you there dude! I haven't touched a bass more than 10 times in my life but I find myself drooling over the idea of a fretless Vader 6 string bass all the same haha

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:31 pm

dawn of the final day.PNG
Oh boy oh boy oh boy.
I don't actually expect it to ship dead on the estimated completion date but I can't help being excited.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

clayyton

Postby clayyton » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:26 pm

So it showed up on 7/26 and I haven't been able to put it down since! It plays like an absolute dream. I was only able to get two photos to upload, I will put the rest on an image hosting site and try that way. Fortunately, the guys at the shop accidentally put on a black cover plate and shipped me the purple heart cover separately. I say fortunately because I may have made a mistake with the purple heart on here haha. Might order an ebony cover at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

That's some pretty streaky limba, but it goes perfectly with the black trans and the ebony board (which itself reminds me of a sort of abstract Japanese watercolor/ink landscape.

Sweet guitar, congrats!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to The Waiting Room