First Kiesel: Ash Greenburst V7 Vader

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Buthter

First Kiesel: Ash Greenburst V7 Vader

Postby Buthter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 pm

KIESEL MODEL: V7
ASH - Swamp Ash Body
AT - Ash Top
CS - Clear Satin Matte Finish
TE - Greenburst
270 - 27.0" Scale Option
EF - Ebony Fretboard
ISOD - Staggered Offset Dot Inlays
IMP - MOP Inlays
STF - Stainless Steel Frets
PPG - Pickup Poles Gold
BL - Black Logo
SL - Dunlop Straplocks
SC9 - Ultimate Soft Headless Guitar Case

I placed my order on November 30th in the showroom and they told me the current wait time was around 8 weeks. That means it should theoretically be done pretty soon, so I'm getting pretty antsy. The guys in the showroom were great and I got to play some beautiful guitars while I was there. I'd highly recommend stopping by if you get the chance.

This guitar will be a few firsts for me. First Kiesel, first 7-string, first headless, first $1000+ guitar. I must've run through the configurator at least 50 times, though. Can't wait!

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: First Kiesel: Ash Greenburst V7 Vader

Postby arahobob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Greenburst and 27"
Very cool!!
I just finished restringing my V7. You'll love it.

Ash body and top - not looking to see the neck through, or is there another option (RNC, chambering?)
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Buthter

Postby Buthter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:36 pm

And then they roll out the Osiris and I question all my life choices... No, I'm still happy with the Vader. I think.

arahobob wrote:Ash body and top - not looking to see the neck through, or is there another option (RNC, chambering?)

No additional options that would require a top wood. I'm just not completely sold on the neck through look, especially with a plain maple neck. I think it would've looked weird with a burst finish. Plus, I just really like the grain pattern of ash. I think it's the best-looking wood texture you can get without going for the more expensive flame/quilt/spalt/burl options. Even if I were to reallocate the money I spent on the top toward a neck upgrade, I still think the ash would look better.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Buthter wrote:And then they roll out the Osiris and I question all my life choices... No, I'm still happy with the Vader. I think.

arahobob wrote:Ash body and top - not looking to see the neck through, or is there another option (RNC, chambering?)

No additional options that would require a top wood. I'm just not completely sold on the neck through look, especially with a plain maple neck. I think it would've looked weird with a burst finish. Plus, I just really like the grain pattern of ash. I think it's the best-looking wood texture you can get without going for the more expensive flame/quilt/spalt/burl options. Even if I were to reallocate the money I spent on the top toward a neck upgrade, I still think the ash would look better.

Sounds great. Ash is beautiful.
Visible neck through can be hit or miss. It's kind of a classic Carvin look though.
My SCB6 has it and came out great with my specs.

Don't sweat the new models. The vader kicks ass.
Maybe the Osiris will be tour next build , that's all
:mrgreen:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Buthter

Postby Buthter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 am

Today marks 12 weeks. They told me 8, then later told me Feb 9th (~10 weeks) when I called with a question. The delay in and of itself isn't a huge deal. I get it, they've got tons of orders, and quality guitars take time to build. But the lack of transparency is frustrating.

Has anyone else ordered custom guitars from other companies before? Is this lack of communication and transparency normal? Or am I being completely unreasonable here?

I get that these build times are still relatively fast compared to other big-name custom shops, but I think more accurate estimates (Christmas and NAMM come every year - they aren't hard to predict) and better communication (like a simple email saying your build has started or entered the QC stage or is waiting on a wood shipment) would go a long way in regard to customer satisfaction.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:58 am

It might be worth sending Mike Jones, or maybe Chris Hong a message on FB. They seem pretty responsive over there.

Buthter

Postby Buthter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 pm

I thought about it, but Jeff explicitly said in his Q&A yesterday not to contact them if the build is a couple weeks late and that it would only delay the process further. "Don't be that guy", he said. I can wait another week or two before directly getting on their case about it. Just had to rant a bit, I guess.

massifontana

Postby massifontana » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:28 am

Buthter first thing first U have to exclude the christmas week from your count, they were obviously closed..then add the NAMM builds and the increasing number of build requests they're having in theese last monthes..
Believe me, I've been throught this 2 times... there's NO LACK OF TRANSPARENCY or COMUNICATION AT ALL, it's that they're REALLY BUSY and since it's not an Industrial Factory as Ibanez they cannot be 100% on time with estimated dates they gave You.... I know it doesen't sounds nice but U have simply to wait and be faithful, U 're surely really really close to see your build in pic of the day or simply recieving a FedEx mail.. asking to the guys won't give U answers and wont speed up the process..
This is the little "downside" of an almost manual production, but U will appreciate soon the quality of what U're going to have through your hands..it worths the pain and U won't be disappointed, trust me! :rockon:

Big O

Postby Big O » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:17 am

I ordered mine at the end of July. I was told a late September or early (1st week) October delivery date. It arrived in mid December. As others have mentioned, there is zero communication to the customer during the build period. I don't know if something went wrong with my build and that is why it took so long to be delivered, but I was not in a great hurry to receive it. And there were a couple of issues with the build as discussed in the thread about my guitar, a couple of posts down. I shipped it back and then didn't receive it back untouched until mid January.

And I have ordered a custom guitar before, not quite as custom as the KIesels. It was a Route 101 Solimar. A decent guitar with custom options for $400 at the time. Unfortunately, Route 101 didn't survive probably because they tried to expand too fast in an economic downturn. Route 101 also got my order wrong, but the customer service was excellent and I returned it and they fixed the problems no questions asked.

The Solimar is the one between the PRS Custom 24 and the Sunburst S-Style guitar.

Buthter

Postby Buthter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 am

My guitar shipped out yesterday evening and should arrive on Friday! That's 12 weeks and 3 business days from order to shipment. I'm super excited. A friend of mine actually ordered a Mayones Hydra 7 that should arrive on the same day. It'll be interesting to compare the two. I'm also curious to see how much of the wood grain shows through with the regular satin finish. The no-return policy with raw tone scared me away.

massifontana

Postby massifontana » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:26 am

Buthter wrote:My guitar shipped out yesterday evening and should arrive on Friday! That's 12 weeks and 3 business days from order to shipment. I'm super excited. A friend of mine actually ordered a Mayones Hydra 7 that should arrive on the same day. It'll be interesting to compare the two. I'm also curious to see how much of the wood grain shows through with the regular satin finish. The no-return policy with raw tone scared me away.

so as I told U there was nothing wrong with your wait..12 weeks are pretty normal! :wink: :rockon:

Buthter

Postby Buthter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 am

Like I said earlier, I was never upset about the extra wait itself. Again, I understand that delays happen. I was (and still am, to some extent) upset about the way they set expectations without taking upcoming events, holidays, and the seasonal uptick in volume into consideration, then made no effort whatsoever to contact me and let me know it was going to be a full month (or 50%) later than expected. It takes two minutes to send an email. Less than that if they had even a rudimentary automated system. At my job, if I miss an estimate (which does happen), I'm expected to give an explanation and a new, more accurate estimate. It's called common courtesy.

However, that frustration is overshadowed by the excitement of NGD. :D I'll post a few pics when it arrives.

massifontana

Postby massifontana » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:40 am

Buthter wrote:Like I said earlier, I was never upset about the extra wait itself. Again, I understand that delays happen. I was (and still am, to some extent) upset about the way they set expectations without taking upcoming events, holidays, and the seasonal uptick in volume into consideration, then made no effort whatsoever to contact me and let me know it was going to be a full month (or 50%) later than expected. It takes two minutes to send an email. Less than that if they had even a rudimentary automated system. At my job, if I miss an estimate (which does happen), I'm expected to give an explanation and a new, more accurate estimate. It's called common courtesy.

However, that frustration is overshadowed by the excitement of NGD. :D I'll post a few pics when it arrives.

I know how U feel.. they cannot be so perfect.. and the overwhelm of requests they have doesn't help..
I'll wait for the pics! :mrgreen:

Buthter

Postby Buthter » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:51 am

Been so busy playing it, I forgot to upload a picture.

The guitar is, as far as I can tell, flawless. Hands-down the nicest instrument I've ever owned. I'm really, really happy with it. If I had an unlimited budget, though, I'd have gone multiscale with a spalted maple top. Because of the 27" scale, the tension on the lower strings is fantastic, but it's surprisingly tough to bend the higher strings. Still an absolute joy to play, though. The balance, the neck profile, the feel of the SS frets, the tuning stability... very impressive.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:01 pm

Looks great!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

massifontana

Postby massifontana » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:16 pm

:woot: :applause: :woot:

Return to The Waiting Room