New to Kiesel, just ordered a CS3

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2413
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: New to Kiesel, just ordered a CS3

Postby wickid » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 am

Doctor Turn wrote:
protovack wrote: The beryllium pickups are hot, and have very strong attack with crystal clear string definition and a thick, meaty tone. I had to turn down my gain settings


Interesting that you say that, because they are much softer, Alnico II mags with a low DC resistance (I'm pretty sure the numbers were below 7k ohms down in the sixes)--the whole idea being these pickups are a throwback to the vintage, PAF-ish humbuckers of yore, ie completely opposite the more modern (read "hot") Lithiums and Thoriums.

But what's nice about lower output pickups, and especially Alnico II (and III) pickups (which I've been leaning quite a bit on lately) is the fact that the strings vibrate much more freely from the reduced mag pull on the strings. Which opens up the whole realm of harmonics that much more--they really scream and build up when you're really pushing your overdrive.

In any case, it's great that you like the axe so much. ....


That report threw me a bit as well. But I do have Duncan CCs which are A2s (or just Customs, whichever has the A2, I have both), and they are not weak at all either IMO. :think:
(I was also wondering if he got Thoriums instead?? :think: )
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 16169
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: New to Kiesel, just ordered a CS3

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:00 am

wickid wrote:(I was also wondering if he got Thoriums instead?? :think: )


My first thought was maybe they were Lithium, but the screws don't match.

Lithium: One row of non-adjustable "slugs" and one row of Torx
Beryllium: One row of non-adjustable "slugs" and one row of flat-head screws
Thorium: Two rows of Torx screws

:think:

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2413
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: New to Kiesel, just ordered a CS3

Postby wickid » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:11 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
wickid wrote:(I was also wondering if he got Thoriums instead?? :think: )


My first thought was maybe they were Lithium, but the screws don't match.

Lithium: One row of non-adjustable "slugs" and one row of Torx
Beryllium: One row of non-adjustable "slugs" and one row of flat-head screws
Thorium: Two rows of Torx screws

:think:


Beryls it is then. Just the report on the output made me wonder.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

protovack
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Apr 2018

Re: New to Kiesel, just ordered a CS3

Postby protovack » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 pm

About the output of the pickups--I think I may be very used to my PRS vintage pickups which are most definitely not as hot as the beryllium. I can't imagine what the lithiums would be like then. I think this is a matter of context. To my ear, these pickups are hotter, and have a lot more clarity than most actual vintage pickups I've heard. Which may in fact be a good thing.

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2413
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: New to Kiesel, just ordered a CS3

Postby wickid » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 am

protovack wrote:About the output of the pickups--I think I may be very used to my PRS vintage pickups which are most definitely not as hot as the beryllium. I can't imagine what the lithiums would be like then. I think this is a matter of context. To my ear, these pickups are hotter, and have a lot more clarity than most actual vintage pickups I've heard. Which may in fact be a good thing.


That may be it, and what I was thinking. Carvin/Kiesel p/ups are like that, generally. Even their "medium" output p/ups (M22T) deliver quite well.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

User avatar
Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4796
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: NYC, sans rock clubs and 48th St.
Links/Contact:

Re: New to Kiesel, just ordered a CS3

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:45 pm

wickid wrote:
protovack wrote:About the output of the pickups--I think I may be very used to my PRS vintage pickups which are most definitely not as hot as the beryllium. I can't imagine what the lithiums would be like then. I think this is a matter of context. To my ear, these pickups are hotter, and have a lot more clarity than most actual vintage pickups I've heard. Which may in fact be a good thing.


That may be it, and what I was thinking. Carvin/Kiesel p/ups are like that, generally. Even their "medium" output p/ups (M22T) deliver quite well.

Those T's aren't super hot, but they're not your typical PAF either. Their setup puts them close to the 22SD, but just not with that whomping sizzle with the EQ profile.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds


Return to The Waiting Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests