First custom build in the works! ZM6

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

guanaeps

First custom build in the works! ZM6

Postby guanaeps » Sat May 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Hey all,

So I ordered my guitar on April 9th, I talked to Chris Hong, who was very helpful and patient with me. I had meditated and decided on just about every spec, but being able to bounce some questions off of him definitely made me more comfortable about my build. Let's just say I'm glad I called instead of doing it all online!

Here's the build:

Zeus Multiscale 6

Swamp Ash body

Raw tone satin Finish

Trans Aqua Blue (TQ) for the color

Antique Ash Treatment

One-Piece Maple Neck

Maple Fretboard with staggered offset acrylic blackdot inlays

Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets

White Pickups with Black Poles

White Logo

White Pearl Inlay Knobs

I received the build confirmation e-mail on April 10th, in which he said they would begin tomorrow morning. So April 11th being the official start date. According to the site, the current estimated build time is 10 to 12 weeks. So I've steeled myself for a late june/early july completion date, with the secret hope that maybe it won't take that long, haha. One can dream!

I also went ahead and made a mock-up of what the final product should end up looking like using GIMP, a free photoshop type program.

Now obviously I can't know what the wood grain will end up looking like, and I don't know how accurate my coloring is to the actual Trans Aqua blue finish, but this is pretty much what I imagined in my head. Also that looks like birdseye maple, and I went with just normal maple.

So, a fairly simple build at the end of the day. I don't know if this could potentially make the build time shorter than usual, but either way I'm excited!

Cheers Everyone!

bsquared62

Re: First custom build in the works! ZM6

Postby bsquared62 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:17 am

Interesting that you mention a confirmation email. In another thread someone was asking if you are supposed to get an email after ordering, because he didn’t (and I responded that I didn’t either, but I ordered in person. Watch the live feed on Facebook and hope to see a glimpse of yours in process. I ordered May 2 and haven’t seen mine yet - it might still be a block of wood :D

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Nice mockup, that looks like it will turn out great! Excited for you!
2018 CS3 - Berylliums *IN THE OVEN*
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

nsxdude82

Postby nsxdude82 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:30 am

Nice Mockup... I was wondering what mine was going to look like and now I have a better idea....
I wanted a a "darker look" to mine so I have black Beryllium pickups with blakc poles and black Kiesel loge with a trem..

VERY cool !!

Todd

nsxdude82

Postby nsxdude82 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 am

bsquared62 wrote:Interesting that you mention a confirmation email. In another thread someone was asking if you are supposed to get an email after ordering, because he didn’t (and I responded that I didn’t either, but I ordered in person. Watch the live feed on Facebook and hope to see a glimpse of yours in process. I ordered May 2 and haven’t seen mine yet - it might still be a block of wood :D

Interesting .... I ordered mine March 26th... I received no notification.... The only thing I could do is see the down payment showed up on my credit card on and if you go to the:
main site--> my account --> order status it has the down payment amount and order status says "RECEIVED"

.... uh... I HOPE they have started on my guitar ..... I am constantly watching the youtbe videos Jeff does to see if I can see a "Blues Zeus with a trem !!!"

Todd

guanaeps

Postby guanaeps » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:55 am

Got the fedex email today, should be here by Wednesday!!!

So, April 11th to June 6th, exactly 8 weeks. Incredible.

I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives!

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:58 am

guanaeps wrote:Got the fedex email today, should be here by Wednesday!!!

So, April 11th to June 6th, exactly 8 weeks. Incredible.

I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives!

Awesome, congrats on a quick build! 12 weeks left on mine haha
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

nsxdude82

Postby nsxdude82 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:59 pm

i'm jealous! :oops: :applause:

make sure you post pics.. !!
Todd

guanaeps

Postby guanaeps » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:36 pm

So! I'm pretty much already in love with it.

It's an incredibly light little instrument.(felt too light at first) Plays so fast. So slinky! A telecaster on acid.

Although this crazy thought came into my head that I can't seem to make go away. That maybe mayyyyyybe they bookmatched the wood wrong? Like one side of the wood needs to be flipped? The only reason I say this is because when I was looking at both the front and back of the guitar, I saw this sort trail of quilted spots, leading towards the middle of the guitar. This happens on both sides of the guitar, only on opposite sides...

I don't know. Might make a NGD thread at some point, take some more comprehensive pics. See what people think. An error like that isn't unheard of, right?

Don't get me wrong, I ain't Mad! Merely curious what others think.

At the end of the day, it has no effect on the playability of the instrument, which is...amazing. :woot:

I'm gonna go play guitar now.

Cheers!

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Beautiful! I like the off-kilter nature, and a lot of times ash doesn't get bookmatched exactly - it's not like maple where they slice it in half and each side is exactly opposite the other. Same thing happens with limba, mahogany, essentially everything not curly maple of flamed Koa.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:48 pm

^ He's right. Solid body woods don't get bookmatched, unless you're lucky. I imagine a part of it is that you'd need much thicker billets to be able to book match it and still end up with it thick enough to make a body. I'm not even sure they bookmatch plain tops all the time. I know I've seen a lot of CS4 and CT4 models that were not bookmatched.

guanaeps

Postby guanaeps » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Cool, I figured as much. It looks amazing either way, and looking at it more, there is definitely a symmetry to the grain lines across both pieces, so I'm stoked! :woot:

bsquared62

Postby bsquared62 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 am

what's the color on this?

bsquared62

Postby bsquared62 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:48 am

never mind - I see it

ZooHead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ZooHead » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 pm

spudmunkey wrote:^ He's right. Solid body woods don't get bookmatched,

You're right they get "end matched". It's from one long piece and cut in half,
then you have the two pieces of wood to glue together but not to match the grain.
Edit: "Book Ended"

Return to The Waiting Room