Kiesel Edition: "The waiting is the hardest part"

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kiesel Edition: "The waiting is the hardest part"

Postby DWG » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:29 am

Hi everyone!

At long last, the call that my guitar is ready for pickup. I couldn't be more excited and, at the same time, more exhausted from the journey. Here's my KE story.

FEB 2017: Just loving life and busy playing my 2 favorite Kiesel guitars, an HH2 and a Vader V6. No need or intention of building another guitar. And then it happened...

[attachment=0]QM_Color_Example_1.jpg[/attachment] see below

I was trolling the internet and came across an article about a rare "quilted mahogany" wood from an ancient tree. I was just floored at the sight of the quilted mahogany on the backs/sides of these acoustic guitars.

MAR 2017: Now I'm researching everything and low and behold, there is a local guy who has been supplying acoustic sets to luthiers for years. I send him note, half joking, to ask if it's still possible to find this wood and would he be able to come up with a board that I could use for a book match top for an electric guitar. He wrote back saying it's become very difficult to acquire this wood. However, he was making a cross country trip to inspect some wood that someone had up in their barn loft for years. He'd get back to me.

JUN 2017: I get word that he had success on his trip and has a board that would meet the Kiesel top requirements. So, I'm ping-ponging back and forth between the Kiesel sales guys and my "woodsman" to see if I can make this happen. I needed to be certain that the guys would be willing to build a Vader before I threw down my money on the quilted mahogany board.

The initial plan was just to build a normal Vader with this special top. I was informed that I could only use my own top if I put in a Kiesel Edition build, which requires approval from Jeff. That kind of stopped me in my tracks... for a moment.

July 2017: After a few message exchanges I'm on the KE wait list. Jeff will let me know when I get to the top. Great! Next circle back and purchase the quilted mahogany. Check!

Now I'm thinking and rethinking all the possible things I could do with a KE build. Over and over and over...

Time passes.... Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun 2018. (of course, I'm pinging Jeff about every 3 months for an update on his KE list)

At this point I have my specs nailed and I'm really concerned about this coming out as planned and shipping this expensive piece of wood to the custom shop. I sent Jeff a note asking if I could combine the KE with the Kiesel Experience. That way I could bring the board and talk to him in person about my build. Jeff agreed to this and told me that he was ready to start the guitar.

Aug 2018: Road trip to Escondido for my Kiesel Experience. Jeff had pre-selected woods for me to chose from for the fretboard, and backside. I even brought along my Vader with the HH2 control setup so that I could make certain we were on the same page about everything.

I would never have thought about changing anything on my specs but, Jeff suggested that we make the center neck stripe purple heart to tie in with the body layers. A super suggestion. So the build was in and we ventured into the shop.

I got to see the cutting and book matching of my top, bottom, and got to press the button on the CNC machine to cut the fretboard. Jeff took me throughout the shop. It was a great day! Like Santa giving a kid the tour of the toy factory.

And the waiting continues....

OCT 2018: I got my first glimpses of the guitar's progress. Jeff sent me pics of the front and back as it had just come out of the CNC machine for the last time. At this point it's pretty plain looking so I'm hoping it will finish like I envisioned.

[attachment=1]image2.jpeg[/attachment] see below

[attachment=2]image1.jpeg[/attachment] see below

JAN 2019: Jesse posts pictures of the front and back on the face book page. I'm so relieved as I finally can see that it's turning out exactly as planned and appears to be complete!

[attachment=3]image6 backside.jpg[/attachment] see below

[attachment=4]image5 El Arbol.jpg[/attachment] see below

You can imagine the huge sigh of relief I let out when I got the call from Flock. I'm very happy and will be traveling to SoCal to pickup my dream guitar.

I hope you enjoyed my tale and just remember if you want a Kiesel Edition, you have to have the patience of a saint.

DWG

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Edition: "The waiting is the hardest part"

Postby amispy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 am

Cool experience. Guitar looks beautiful.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:59 am

One of a kind!
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:44 am

Holy smokes does that look amazing!

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:23 am

DWG, somehow the picture links boinked. Can you repost the pics?

Also, where did you get the wood? How did you get the specs from Kiesel on the board dimensions? Also, what other guidance did either your wood broker or from Kiesel about wood dryness?

Thanks in advance!
Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

Return to The Waiting Room