Guitars on Website Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

SolidOrangeTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Guitars on Website Club

Postby SolidOrangeTiger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Omsong wrote:SolidOrangeTiger; your KH6 is a phenomenally beautiful instrument!

Thank you! I really love this guitar. It plays better than it looks, is my best sounding instrument, and is also the lightest guitar I've ever played. I really lucked out with how this one came out.
Kiesel Arsenal:
-- C6C: Orangeburst Quilted Maple over Black Limba. EFB. (2018)
-- SCB6X: Trans Orange/Crimson V-Burst MG Burl Maple over Koa. KTB BMF. (2019)
-- K6H: Fire Crotch Flamed Maple over Roasted Swamp Ash. RFMF. (2019)
-- D6X: Natural MG Flamed Koa over Roasted Swamp Ash. RFMF. (2019)

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:44 pm

I didn't realize it at first, but my DC7X was the primary guitar on the model page until it was discontinued. So there's no gallery photo. But it is also in a Mesa Boogie video too. I think the guitar spent some time at the Hollywood store and they loaned it down the street to Mesa for this video, lol.

https://youtu.be/bEdEudgOrRc

Capture.JPG

IMG_20150530_194456_2.jpg

Then I ended up swapping the pickups for the Stefan Carpenter Fishman Fluences, matching abalone tone knobs, and purpleheart cavity / truss rod covers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:28 pm

helldorado wrote:I didn't realize it at first, but my DC7X was the primary guitar on the model page until it was discontinued. So there's no gallery photo. But it is also in a Mesa Boogie video too. I think the guitar spent some time at the Hollywood store and they loaned it down the street to Mesa for this video, lol.

https://youtu.be/bEdEudgOrRc

Capture.JPG

IMG_20150530_194456_2.jpg

Then I ended up swapping the pickups for the Stefan Carpenter Fishman Fluences, matching abalone tone knobs, and purpleheart cavity / truss rod covers.

Not sure if you ever got to a high-res version of the feature photo, but here you go:
http://gisarchive.carvinguitars.com/ind ... GRkYjNlZmY

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:20 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Not sure if you ever got to a high-res version of the feature photo, but here you go:

I did, but thanks! I made sure to download the GIS photo when I bought it. I was pretty torn between getting the DC7X and this CT7 they had at the same time. I really was torn because it was more optioned, discounted heavily to the same price, and that teal with the binding stripe was gorgeous, but it had the 25.5" scale and thinner neck. A CT is on my list of future builds, so I'll probably go with teal candy in a similar finish.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/124596

11169502_1590777221205574_4986716548102952739_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:36 pm

helldorado wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Not sure if you ever got to a high-res version of the feature photo, but here you go:

I did, but thanks! I made sure to download the GIS photo when I bought it. I was pretty torn between getting the DC7X and this CT7 they had at the same time. I really was torn because it was more optioned, discounted heavily to the same price, and that teal with the binding stripe was gorgeous, but it had the 25.5" scale and thinner neck. A CT is on my list of future builds, so I'll probably go with teal candy in a similar finish.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/124596

11169502_1590777221205574_4986716548102952739_o.jpg

Crap.

I say "crap" because I totally forgot how much I also loved that CT, and I forgot to work that colored binding aspect into the specs I sent in yesterday. :lol:

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:18 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Crap.

I say "crap" because I totally forgot how much I also loved that CT, and I forgot to work that colored binding aspect into the specs I sent in yesterday. :lol:
:laughhard: :wall:

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:22 pm

helldorado wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Crap.

:laughhard: :wall:

I feel for you. I had several build versions that I was see-sawing over. Submitted one then regretted a couple of days later that I didn't go with the other. No order changes allowed. Oh well! they are only cosmetic differences; It will still be a great guitar.

I really think Kiesel should give buyers a week to make minor alterations to their orders. Jeff stopped allowing all order changes late last year if I recall.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:43 pm

Yeah, about then. It seems like Kiesel's process loses track of a guitar the moment it goes into production, until it gets spit out the other end, with no way of knowing where a guitar is along the way. It seems like the only way to give a grace period would be to not start the guitar, and add a week to the lead time. But then...there will always people who would complain that 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, a week...nothing would be long enough." And honestly, I don't disagree that for a guitar where there's likely a 10-day free trial, let them make changes at any time, but charge the 20% deposit for the cancellation, and let them start over with a new build. I think that's a fair compromise. For 100% pre-pay, "option 50" builds, I'm not sure what the solution would be there...it would need to be a case-by-case except for simple things like Raw Tone Finish, etc which should fall into the first category.

That might have been OK 20 years ago (which is almost year 2000, BTW), but in 2019? Every station should be logging each instrument.

Honestly, more than any other company I can think of, NEEEEEEED to bring in some outside consultants. I've worked for 2 companies that did, and the process was eye-opening. I bet, with some outside eyes, they could get efficient enough to pay for the process, cut leadtimes, AND save money in a very short amount of time.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:20 am

A build that causes buyer's remorse is likely one reason relatively new Kiesel's frequently show up on the re-sale market.

Buying a Kiesel is a much different experience than ordering a "stock" guitar out of a catalog or from SW or GC, etc., where feature diversity is very limited. When you order a 50's reissue Strat in white, for example, you pretty much know exactly what that guitar is going to look like, how it plays and how it sounds.... There are just so many option that one can throw into a Kiesel build that it can be extremely challenging to narrow down one'c choices to only those features that will satisfy once the guitar is "in hands". Unfortunately, for those of us throwing the dice, there are frequently too many option 50's that negate the 10 day return policy.

If I recall, many years ago, Carvin charged $50 for an order change, and only early in the build process. There have been times in the past when, a few days after ordering, I've called and made minor tweeks to my Carvin/Kiesel order. And I was a much happier customer as a result!

It certainly makes sense that once a neck has been built, for example, it is too late to request any changes to it. But, what difference does it make if you choose to switch pickup types; stain, hardware color, etc., in the first few weeks of a build? It's been what, 30 years since industries instituted inventory and product tracking using bar codes. Sure there is an upfront cost involved, but they all did it for a very good reason: long term efficiency and the resulting, usually significant, cost savings resulting in increased profits.

There has to be a very different manufacturing dynamic when a business goes from building 10 guitars a week to maybe 100. The old ways of moving a product through the shop may have been inefficient, but wasting $10 on each due to poor process flow does not have nearly the same financial impact as as it does when you multiply by 10. Especially considering that profit margins often decrease as manufacturing quantity increases unless improved efficiency measures are put into place. I worked in a company that built 100 ton steel girders. Imagine the time, labor and energy cost to move one girder from the weld to the paint shops. If scheduling was off and the girder had to be temporarily moved to the storage yard, there went a lot of profit down the drain!

I just think it extremely unfortunate that Kiesel doesn't provide some (limited) system for order modification. Like spudmonkey said, hold the order for a week (they are probably backed up that far in the builds anyway), or institute drop dead dates where certain changes can not be made. It's also reasonable to charge a change order fee to cover internal costs.

Only one man's opinion...

Kiesel
Past tense

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:00 am

spudmunkey wrote:Honestly, more than any other company I can think of, NEEEEEEED to bring in some outside consultants. I've worked for 2 companies that did, and the process was eye-opening. I bet, with some outside eyes, they could get efficient enough to pay for the process, cut leadtimes, AND save money in a very short amount of time.

It's difficult to see potential shortcomings in process, or areas for improvement when you grow up in a system. I don't know how many, if any of the Kiesel folks who make the executive decisions have spent time outside of the company, or have pursued secondary education in supply chain and logistics. External consultants can help, but only if they're willing to accept the advise and make the change. I've lost count of how many times I've done business transformation with every client I've worked with and they inevitably find ways to get back to the old process if they weren't ready to adopt change. Sometimes you need a strategic hire who can not only bring the process improvement, but ensure that everybody sticks to it.

That's where PRS hired a guy like Jamie Mann, whose entire career was supply chain / logistics / manufacturing and not guitar related. They brought him in to run improve operations while the legacy team ensured the strategic vision and quality stayed high. Since then, they've been able to introduce the S2 line and they can offer a USA built guitar that retails under $1000.

JCG
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby JCG » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:23 pm

aries gs1.JPG

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:35 pm

helldorado wrote: External consultants can help, but only if they're willing to accept the advise and make the change. I've lost count of how many times I've done business transformation with every client I've worked with and they inevitably find ways to get back to the old process if they weren't ready to adopt change.

I'm gonna make only one more comment regarding this as we kind of hijacked the thread... but that is how conversations take their twists and turns. :naughty:

helldorado makes a very good point. I experienced exactly this phenomena. We were sent into the factories to iron out quality control issues where we would identify problems and work with low level management to implement process changes. No sooner would we would walk out the door than they would go back to their old, erroneous ways (verified by communications with individual quality control technicians). This occurred because upper management enforced unrealistic production quotas superseding quality. The company motto of "Quality first" was always BS because factory upper management bonuses were tied to production rates rather than profits. Kiesel should take a look at Kamaka Ukulele in Hawaii. It's been a family business since the 1910's. The current third generation running it has had formal product engineering and management training; as a result their business continues to thrive in a business competing head to head with inexpensive, but high quality Pac Rim instruments. Heck, none of us are experts in everything. It demonstrates wisdom when we recognize that, and seek out the advice of those who do understand facets of our business that we don't (and perhaps arrogance when we don't).

Kiesel
Past tense

fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fatfretty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm

My SCB7 is in the Gallery
scb7h-tr-vbst-to-bbeb-um-umph-7in-ab-evo-ktb-bmf-g-ak-abl-sl-bt-vt2-122875_gallery.jpg

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:14 am

fatfretty wrote:My SCB7 is in the Gallery
scb7h-tr-vbst-to-bbeb-um-umph-7in-ab-evo-ktb-bmf-g-ak-abl-sl-bt-vt2-122875_gallery.jpg

Daayyymmm! That's a beaut!
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am

Found one of mine in the V59K guitar gallery...

v59k-aat-ash-swt-3pb-stf-iksd-ia-efb-7wpm-tce-dsls-bpe-resin7-purpleheart3pb-134785_gallery.jpg

My pics for comparison:
Vanquish Resin 04 (small).jpg

Vanquish Resin 05 (small).jpg

Vanquish Resin 03 (small).jpg

Vanquish Resin 01 (small).jpg

Vanquish Resin 02 (small).jpg
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs