The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH models)

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

DocD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH m

Postby DocD » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:06 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:Honestly DocD, I'm not ignoring you. I somehow have missed a few of your notes. My apologies.
The reason I picked the C Pups on my first HH2 had to do with reducing variables. While I had played the the regular Holdsworth and the Fatboy at the showroom in SD, they didn't inspire me like my CT6 does which use the C22s.
For the rebuild, I was able to get them to let me use gold hardware which is not on the builder. I'm not terribly sure what the difference is between the Cs and the Ss, but my understanding is that it's not a lot - my impression was that the Ss are the Cs with metal covers. And I wanted as much gold on the face of the guitar as I could get.
What I learned is that the Ss are indeed different. My CT6 has a very wide difference in tone, attitude and balls between bridge and neck pickups. I get great tones out of the Ss, but it's not as stark a difference. The pickups are 2.5" apart on my CT6 (from pickup ring edge to pickup ring edge) and they're only 2" apart on the HH2. It may have something to do with that but I guess I'll never know.
My impressions are that the Ss are dirtier, which I love. That's not to say they're hotter than the Cs, but somehow downer and dirtier. For a little guy, my HH2 has big brass...
DocD wrote:MarshallTSL:
I asked in a different thread, and now with the covers my curiosity is piqued even more...
So why did you go with the C Pups instead of the stock Holdsworths?
And now, why the covers?

That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure.

You may have said this elsewhere, but what kind of music do you mostly play and/or guitar player's sound emulate?

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH model

Postby MarshallTSL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm playing my own brand of progressive rock that leverages a lot of blues sensibilities coupled with a lot of lydian, mixolydian and locrian modes. When I'm playing other's music, I still play a lot of Rush, Steely Dan, and other classic rock from the 60s through the 90s, including Van Halen, The Eagles, Boston, etc. I absolutely suck at jazz.

I'm not half as good as think I should be considering I've been playing for so long. About 3 years ago I picked up the classical guitar and have been trying pretty fruitlessly to play Bach not only cleanly but with conviction and passion.

What about you? What lights your jets and keeps you up late at night until your fingers bleed?

zortmuckerman

Postby zortmuckerman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out with this. The trem arm on my J custom bridge won't behave itself. When I screw the collar all the way down to maximum tightness, there is still some play in the arm. It actually seems to be hitting the sides of the threaded hole and making a noise which resonates through the body. And the collar loosens itself very quickly after just one dive. Anyone have any tips to fix this?

flmdkoasc90
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby flmdkoasc90 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Here is my Pearl White Fatboy, birds eye maple fretboard and gold GFS Fat Pats!!
Otherwise known as Big Bad Bull!

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:20 am

Does the truss rod cover say "Codybear?"

:shock:

flmdkoasc90
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby flmdkoasc90 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 am

MarshallTSL wrote:Does the truss rod cover say "Codybear?"

:shock:

Yes it does. My 19 month old grandson died due to a doctor error; his name was Cody. I won't get into all the emotional details about it, but his mother won some money in a lawsuit and as a tribute to our relationship she bought this guitar for me out of the lawsuit money. We use to call him Codybear, so I got that on the truss rod cover. If i'm not mistaken, he would be 12 years old now. He was my little buddy and I still miss him dearly!

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 am

Many sad condolences for you and your family. The guitar is a great tribute and keeps him in the forefront of your mind all the time.

flmdkoasc90
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby flmdkoasc90 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:Many sad condolences for you and your family. The guitar is a great tribute and keeps him in the forefront of your mind all the time.

Thanks. And Yes, it keeps him in the forefront of my mind. Any time I make a change to the guitar I make sure I keep his mother in the loop just so we can share of moment of memory concerning him. Also, he has two little sisters now. One is 4 and the other is 6, so when I play the guitar around them I always talk about him and show them his name on the TR cover. It is a way of keeping him alive even though he's not physically with us any more.

sdavidp

H2 Ordered

Postby sdavidp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:05 am

Hello folks,

I believe this is my first post. My first electric was a Carvin Bolt that I bought in 2000 and I don't remember if I ever used the Carvin BBS at that time. The more I try out different guitars the more I learn to appreciate the neck on my Bolt.

After nearly buying a DC150 (which I still want), I'm very anxious to get the H2 I ordered yesterday:

Flamed Koa Top w. matching headstock
Alder Neck/Alder Body
Tung­Oiled Satin Neck & Body
Ebony Fingerboard, No Top Inlays
Stainless Jumbo Frets
Black Pickups, Two Coil Splitting Switches, Phase Switch
Gold Hardware (w. matching dome knobs)
Black Logo

Lastly, I want to say "thanks". The BBS has been a wealth of information.

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 am

Sounds like a WIN to me!!!
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:43 am

Welcome to the forum, sdavidp!
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

t0aj15
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby t0aj15 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:51 am

Yet another Carvin "club" to join. Here's my latest;

HT - Mahogany Top
NMAH - Mahogany Neck & Body
MP - Mother Of Pearl Block Inlays
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
R12 - 12in Fretboard Radius
Weight: 5.4 lbs

JosephFrame

Postby JosephFrame » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:16 am

@ MikeyMac - In your opinion, how did the modified "F-hole" (for lack of a more accurate term) affect the sound on the black one? - Joe Frame
"The quality of Mercy is not strain'd ... "

eeygee

Postby eeygee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Hey guys!

Long time reader here and this is my first message to the board. I am a proud Fatboy owner for the past 12 years. It's been my primary guitar since 2001.

I've played every gig imaginable with it (jazz, fusion, rock, pop, even thrash-metal) and it never failed me. But after so many years of traveling and roadie abuse and an exhausting summer tour the truss rod got extremely stiff for some reason. I like my guitars with no relief so I was pretty stubborn and impatient and broke the tip off the truss rod adjustment head. :(

Since then I can't adjust the truss rod for my HF2. I still love the guitar but I need a new primary guitar before I can send this to repair. So what better opportunity to buy a new HH2 ?? Hahaha! :D

Here's my beloved Fatboy:

And here are some action shots that show the beautiful quilt top:

Anyway, as I was saying... I wanted to buy an HH2 badly! I don't live in US anymore so it's really hard to acquire a Carvin. My parents were about to travel to LA so I thought "Rush Option!?!?!". They were only going to be in Hollywood for a day and Eddie scared me a bit on the phone about delivery times and that there is no guarantee even if I paid the extra 100 bucks. So I was a bit devastated.

I got on this forum to start drooling over some pictures of HH2s and there I saw a Deep Wine Flame beauty. It was from a Japanese store's website. I went to the store's website and with google translate I found out that it's in stock. The only problem was it was an HH1 and I really need the pickup. There was another guitar that was to be in stock in about a week. Aaaaand, I am flying to Tokyo on April 10th! My brother lives in Japan. He talked to them and I pre-ordered the sucker ! Tomorrow is the date that it is supposed to be delivered to my brother in Japan. I am soooo excited :)

Here is that guitar. Let's see what you all think of it:

HH2X - Vintage Yellow Flame w/tung-oil back of neck

ylv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ylv » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:49 pm

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Very excited! Just picked up a used H2.

Link to ebay completed listing pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-H2-Allan ... 7675.l2557

Don't know if that'll show up...

Pretty much everything I wanted, except for stainless frets!

I'll post my own pics and a review after it arrives this weekend.

I'm also planning on installing an Evertune bridge on it. None of my guitars (except Floyded ones) ever stay in tune thanks to my caveman-like vibrato.

:)

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Guitar arrived, and I can't BELIEVE how awesome it is!

On the ebay listing, the seller said the guitar was 10 years old, and had nickel frets...the pics were somewhat blurry, and I wasn't really expecting that the guitar would be in excellent shape.

But when I opened the case, it looked BRAND NEW!!! The frets had been polished, there were brand new strings, the fretboard and frets looked immaculate. I was a little hesitant about the frets too, due to them being described as "jumbo". But in fact they were Medium-Jumbo, my preferred size.

The pickups are an H22N (always loved those on other Carvins) and an M22SD (nice with great bite for heavier music).

People describe the neck as a baseball bat, but it feels great to me.

The guitar itself is highly resonant, light as a feather, and has it's own unique tone. To be honest, the two other Carvin I owned left me somewhat disappointed in that they didn't sound like a Strat or a Les Paul or a PRS; they just sounded...kind of middle of the road. Good, but they didn't EXCEL at any particular tone that we guitarists sometimes refer to, like "Chimey," "Spanky", "Sparkly," etc. However, they Holdsworth is unique tonally, AND sounds great! I've never heard a guitar's tone like it. On the neck pickup, it sounds really sweet...not like a Strat or a Paul, though...round, warm, and mellow. The middle position sounds very full, great for rhythms. The bridge sounds great for chicken-picking and more heavy/metal sounds--lots of bite and clarity, but not piercing at all.

I'm at work now, so I can't post pics until later. I will post pics and a review when I get home later tonight (probably 12:00 am).

All around, just an awesome surprise! I knew the guitar would play like a dream (and it does,) but I was hesitant I would love the tone. Thus far, I do.

:)

jorona11

Postby jorona11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Trying to revive this thread for the non-headless Holdsworth owner's like myself.

Took a few shots of my H2T with a proper camera today. Hope you enjoy!

Got a little artsy with this one :wink:

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Already joined the headless club. :? I will say that the Holdsworth may be the best guitars I've ever played for sheer comfort and tone - shape's growin on me... :wink:
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Appollyon wrote:I will say that the Holdsworth may be the best guitars I've ever played for sheer comfort and tone

I couldn't agree more. Absolutely killer guitars! My HH1X has kicked two PRSs and two 7 string Ibanezs to the curb. Don't need or want them. Feel and play like boat oars in comparison.

Thinking about that next HH1X almost daily now.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs