The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH models)

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH m

Postby Bob77 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:55 am

DocD wrote:
MarshallTSL wrote:Guys, I'm about 24 hours from launching my order for an HH2. Based on what I've read, I'm going to skip getting the trem, but I'm not a huge trem player anyway (too many years of fixed bridges tend to control one's playing style!). Any last-minute suggestions or recommendations? For those of you who have one (or two!), what do you wish you had done differently? What options would you definitely or definitely NOT pick and why? How does it feel playing standing up? Is it heavy or does it feel really light? What woods did you pick and why? How does it feel shlepping it around? Does the hardshell case have room for accessories? For example, does it have room for a Pandora or a Pocket Pod or is it tight?Thanks for your guidance and comments in advance! MarshallTSL

Did you ever order a Holdsworth? It looks like no one replied to you, and it's been over a month??

If you've already ordered it, then most of the feedback would be moot, but a couple of things to prepare you:

(1) You can stand and play one of these all day long and hardly notice that it's there, they just don't weigh hardly anything at all.

(2) If you get the black tolex case, there's room for some picks, extra strings and a capo in the storage compartment, not much else. I even have to take the strap off and carry it in another bag because the case is just so tight (unlike my Strat case that's got room for tools, etc.)

If you have or haven't ordered, let the Holdsworth-ites know...

Yep, very lightweight instrument, and it's very well balanced. It just stays in the 'right' position when you play.

I got mine used, but it has a flamed maple top, and mahogany neck/body. Pretty warm tones, I'm becoming a big mahogany fan.

Having said that....I've always stated that 'tone' is more directly influenced by the guitar amp, guitar pickups and pedals anyway.

So at the end...any Holdsworth guitar you get will sound awesome as it is. Your electronics will always have the final say in regards to guitar tone.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH model

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:40 pm

DocD,

Sorry for not thanking you for your comments. I appreciate it. My HH2 should be completed around July 25th. I guess I'm nearly done with my waiting!!!

Of course, I'll post pics as soon as the box arrives!

MarshallTSL

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Time's UP! My Carvin HH2 is now sitting, waiting for me to come home from my business trip and pick it up from my office. It was delivered TODAY!

MarshallTSL

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:Time's UP! My Carvin HH2 is now sitting, waiting for me to come home from my business trip and pick it up from my office. It was delivered TODAY!

MarshallTSL

That is crazy exciting! :mrgreen:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 pm

ElfDude wrote:
MarshallTSL wrote:Time's UP! My Carvin HH2 is now sitting, waiting for me to come home from my business trip and pick it up from my office. It was delivered TODAY!

MarshallTSL

That is crazy exciting! :mrgreen:

+1
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks Elfdude and gumbynotpokey!

I'm ridiculously excited about getting it in my hot hands.

Not to worry - I'll be photographing it from every conceivable angle and posting as quickly as I can. Orangeburst, Flame Maple Neck. How could it not be stunning?

MarshallTSL

DocD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DocD » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Bob77 wrote:I got mine used, but it has a flamed maple top, and mahogany neck/body. Pretty warm tones, I'm becoming a big mahogany fan. Having said that....I've always stated that 'tone' is more directly influenced by the guitar amp, guitar pickups and pedals anyway. So at the end...any Holdsworth guitar you get will sound awesome as it is. Your electronics will always have the final say in regards to guitar tone.

I've had an interesting experience with another Carvin lately that demonstrated the real difference between the Holdsworth and, in this case, a DC135T. I have a modelling amp (Vox 40+) and use the Vox AC30 as the baseline amp for my settings. I have two settings with 50% Drive, some TapeDelay, some Reverb, a little Compression and they both worked fine for my Fat Strat with a Semour Duncan Humbucker in the bridge and my Holdsworth (unsoliticited response to live use was that the Holdsworth sounded better, fuller, rounder, warmer, clearer). This past week end I tried the DC with those settings during practice and I couldn't get the amp adjusted to it at all (I didn't have time to do a complete new setting using a different amp, like the Dumble Amp on clean settings). The pickups were so hot, even turned way, way down, that they just drove the Drive/Gain of the AC30 and put too much distortion into the sound, no matter how much I turned it down. So I ended up going back to my Strat for the actual songs (my Holdsworth is at the Luthiers for some work, which I'll report to the Holdsworth-ites when it's done).

I suspect if I'd had time I could have tamed the DC hot pickup, but they certainly did create a different sound going into the amp, which was way too hot for my style of playing. If I was playing hard rock, metal or even just really loud, I think they would have been fine. But it showed me again why I really love the Holdsworth's sound.

FWIW...

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm

pics asap marshall!!!

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:35 pm

DocD wrote:
Bob77 wrote:I got mine used, but it has a flamed maple top, and mahogany neck/body. Pretty warm tones, I'm becoming a big mahogany fan. Having said that....I've always stated that 'tone' is more directly influenced by the guitar amp, guitar pickups and pedals anyway. So at the end...any Holdsworth guitar you get will sound awesome as it is. Your electronics will always have the final say in regards to guitar tone.

I've had an interesting experience with another Carvin lately that demonstrated the real difference between the Holdsworth and, in this case, a DC135T. I have a modelling amp (Vox 40+) and use the Vox AC30 as the baseline amp for my settings. I have two settings with 50% Drive, some TapeDelay, some Reverb, a little Compression and they both worked fine for my Fat Strat with a Semour Duncan Humbucker in the bridge and my Holdsworth (unsoliticited response to live use was that the Holdsworth sounded better, fuller, rounder, warmer, clearer). This past week end I tried the DC with those settings during practice and I couldn't get the amp adjusted to it at all (I didn't have time to do a complete new setting using a different amp, like the Dumble Amp on clean settings). The pickups were so hot, even turned way, way down, that they just drove the Drive/Gain of the AC30 and put too much distortion into the sound, no matter how much I turned it down. So I ended up going back to my Strat for the actual songs (my Holdsworth is at the Luthiers for some work, which I'll report to the Holdsworth-ites when it's done).

I suspect if I'd had time I could have tamed the DC hot pickup, but they certainly did create a different sound going into the amp, which was way too hot for my style of playing. If I was playing hard rock, metal or even just really loud, I think they would have been fine. But it showed me again why I really love the Holdsworth's sound.

FWIW...

Thanks for sharing your review. That's interesting!

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:12 pm

:( :( :( :( :(

It's going back for a rebuild. :wall:

My 2nd Carvin, my 2nd rebuild. I'm clearly doing something wrong. This was supposed to be DTS Deep Orangeburst. The photos aren't great, but the finish is so dark that it appears that the Deep Triple Step undercoating was not applied and the actual face finish is indeterminate. I have other issues, but cosmetics just make it impossible to keep.

I'm going to rethink this config with Kevin next week...

I will say that it's hard to explain how small this body is and how light it feels. Perfect for what I wanted in a travel guitar! My CT6 felt gargantuan after I'd played this for a while.

MarshallTSL

Timotheedle wrote:pics asap marshall!!!

At least the neck looked good!

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 pm

now with seeing the pics I think it looks beautiful marshall!

if you haven't already sent it back maybe you could snap a sunlit photo of the HH

DocD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DocD » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:22 am

MarshallTSL:

Are you saying that the burst edges are too dark and that the darkness, even though not solid, covers too much of the body?

I've noticed that bursts, esp., black burst is not just a burst framing the edges of the guitar, but the paint/color covers the whole guitar body, even though it's not solid. Compare these:

I personally like the way that bursts frame the body, but I think that it needs to stay at the edge and thin.

BTW, did you ever post the specs on your build?

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 am

Mmm...I would love to see on that guitar under full sunlight.

As it is in those pics, it's quite difficult to appreciate the actual color. So I'm with Marshal on his opinion about the color.

The back of the neck looks awesome with that flame.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Guys,

My HH2 rebuild is in (waiting patiently for me in my office as I write this) and I wanted to go buy a supply of the barrel hex-screws that lock down the strings at the top of the neck.

Where do I buy them? What size they are? How would I specify them if I could find them at another source?

Also, I wanted to buy an extra set of hex wrenches. Does anyone know what size they are?

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm

^^^
hey, why not just take what you get with the guitar to a hard ware store and get what you need? that's what I would try since Carvin isn't giving you what you need.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Guys - check out http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=34241

I know! The picture quality sucks (am I the only one that hates his iPhone?), but I'm hopeful to get new, good pics in the next few days and will post them in the Photos section.

Timotheedle wrote:pics asap marshall!!!

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 pm

DocD, thanks for the note - I'm sorry, but I just found it. The real issue is that the HH2 is just too small to have a complex finish. There's literally no room for error. If the paint is too dark, it'll come out like mush. If the black burst is too wide, it'll dominate without remorse.

The HH body is only slightly larger than the average Guitar White Pages tab book. Now subtract space for regular-sized pickups with bezels. And, pretty soon, there's just not a lot of surface area left.

And, you can check it out here: http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/113563

I just got my rebuild in Claro (5mm laminate) with a satin finish and I'm supercharged right now. This may be one of the finest guitars I've ever seen from Carvin, but that could just be the adrenaline and bleeding fingers talking. I just finished my first four hours with it.

And to think, I made it from Muddy Waters then Rush(ed) over to Boston, going through Kansas and wound up checking in at Hotel California in only four hours! At the front desk while I was checking in, they did say I could never leave but I think that's just marketing hype.

I'll post more/better pictures when I've had a chance to use a real camera in good lighting.

DocD wrote:MarshallTSL:

Are you saying that the burst edges are too dark and that the darkness, even though not solid, covers too much of the body?

I've noticed that bursts, esp., black burst is not just a burst framing the edges of the guitar, but the paint/color covers the whole guitar body, even though it's not solid.

I personally like the way that bursts frame the body, but I think that it needs to stay at the edge and thin.

BTW, did you ever post the specs on your build?

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am

That's a gorgeous build! Nice contrast with the wood choices, and that neck should be stable for 300 years or so!!!

Enjoy it - I'm jealous (or maybe thankful?) that they're not making lefties of the headless.

DocD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DocD » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:05 am

MarshallTSL:

I asked in a different thread, and now with the covers my curiosity is piqued even more...

So why did you go with the C Pups instead of the stock Holdsworths?

And now, why the covers?

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Honestly DocD, I'm not ignoring you. I somehow have missed a few of your notes. My apologies.

The reason I picked the C Pups on my first HH2 had to do with reducing variables. While I had played the the regular Holdsworth and the Fatboy at the showroom in SD, they didn't inspire me like my CT6 does which use the C22s.

For the rebuild, I was able to get them to let me use gold hardware which is not on the builder. I'm not terribly sure what the difference is between the Cs and the Ss, but my understanding is that it's not a lot - my impression was that the Ss are the Cs with metal covers. And I wanted as much gold on the face of the guitar as I could get.

What I learned is that the Ss are indeed different. My CT6 has a very wide difference in tone, attitude and balls between bridge and neck pickups. I get great tones out of the Ss, but it's not as stark a difference. The pickups are 2.5" apart on my CT6 (from pickup ring edge to pickup ring edge) and they're only 2" apart on the HH2. It may have something to do with that but I guess I'll never know.

My impressions are that the Ss are dirtier, which I love. That's not to say they're hotter than the Cs, but somehow downer and dirtier. For a little guy, my HH2 has big brass...

DocD wrote:MarshallTSL:

I asked in a different thread, and now with the covers my curiosity is piqued even more...

So why did you go with the C Pups instead of the stock Holdsworths?

And now, why the covers?

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs