The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH models)

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH model

Postby Appollyon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 pm

:laughhard: This thread couldn't have had better timing. I was considering a SC90 for my next Carvin....

:think:

I'll be going with an HF2 instead. :wink:
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

DocD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH m

Postby DocD » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:19 pm

jorona11 wrote:Trying to revive this thread for the non-headless Holdsworth owner's like myself.
Took a few shots of my H2T with a proper camera today. Hope you enjoy!

jorona: That looks like it's been stripped down to the bare wood ?

I did that once to Fender Jazz bass I bought at a pawn shop in Nashville in 1973; it had been badly abused...didn't realize what "road-worn" meant at the time. :oops: When I was done it had that same "raw" grain look to it.

jorona11

Postby jorona11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 pm

DocD wrote:
jorona11 wrote:Trying to revive this thread for the non-headless Holdsworth owner's like myself.
Took a few shots of my H2T with a proper camera today. Hope you enjoy!

jorona: That looks like it's been stripped down to the bare wood ?

I did that once to Fender Jazz bass I bought at a pawn shop in Nashville in 1973; it had been badly abused...didn't realize what "road-worn" meant at the time. :oops: When I was done it had that same "raw" grain look to it.

It's actually just a Tung-Oil finish over Swamp Ash, which is a wood that tends to look more dry than others, especially with the deepish grain that mine has.

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:54 pm

All your posts here convinced me on a Fatboy! Here are the specs:

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=39260
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

Alan13

Postby Alan13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:39 pm

My H2 in action. I bought it in late 2003 or 2004.
I've never get tired of playing it, although I just got a deal on a used MIA Strat that I couldn't pass up.

I do have a couple of questions.
How hard is it to install a Wilkenson trem on an H2 after the fact ? I'm guessing it's difficult.

Has anyone ever seen a bigsby on an H2 ? They make one that requires no drilling.
I really miss have the whammy for vibrato, much more than dive bombing, and I've never had a Bigsby, but have enjoyed playing a guitar with one recently.

It sort of seem out of place on an H2, doesn't it ? It would be removable and not damage the guitar.

Obviously I'm conflicted. I love the H2 as is.
I love the sustain the guitar offers, but I would love to throw that mellow vibrato into the mix.

Just thinking out loud. Don't be too harsh on me

:shock:
Carvin C980
Carvin Holdworth H2
Carvin Nomad

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Guess I can join now! :D

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Alan13 wrote:Image

Has anyone ever seen a bigsby on an H2 ? They make one that requires no drilling.
I really miss have the whammy for vibrato, much more than dive bombing, and I've never had a Bigsby, but have enjoyed playing a guitar with one recently.

:shock:

Why yes, I have seen one - enjoy!

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Woohoo! Hooray for teal HF2's! :D

Alan13

Postby Alan13 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Lol. Well, it may be an equally obvious question, but how do you like it ?
Did it adversely affect the sustain at all ?
Is it mind numbingly wonderful ?

arahobob wrote:

Why yes, I have seen one - enjoy!

:wink:
Carvin C980

Carvin Holdworth H2

Carvin Nomad

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Alan13 wrote:Lol. Well, it may be an equally obvious question, but how do you like it ?
Did it adversely affect the sustain at all ?
Is it mind numbingly wonderful ?

Sorry if I led you astray! That Teal Carvin isn't mine - i just remembered that one and was able to find it for you.

Here's another photo for you:

Just trying to help your cause - FWIW your guitar looks perfect the way it is!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 pm

arahobob wrote:
Alan13 wrote:Image

Wow...teal on spalt looks killer.

ZeyerGTR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ZeyerGTR » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:55 am

I guess I can join - my first Carvin, an HF2. Nice guitar, and I got a great deal on it. Love the pickups and how smooth the volume roll off is. The neck feels great, and it definitely has a unique tone compared to my other guitars - definitely sounds like a semi-hollow to my ears.

glennfin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby glennfin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Here's a few shots of my HF2S hanging out in the studio...

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jazpur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:40 pm

WOW. Thats sweet. I sold my PRS & ordered a SH65.

I'll prob disable the guitar out via 13-pin cable to improve tone. I can't wait!!
Last edited by Jazpur on Thu May 22, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultramog

Postby Ultramog » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:04 pm

This thread has given me a lot of great information over the years, finally time to give back! I ordered a Fatboy a few years back and it wasn't quite what I needed at the time so I sent it back. Now, however, I need a Holdsworth and I am thrilled with this H2:

Plays amazing -- the action is very low, and the axe still sings. Top and back resonate freely, you can feel the back vibrating as you play. I have other high-quality hollow and semi-hollow guitars, but none have the sustain of this H2. The attack is softened as expected; with a smooth overdrive you are into 335 territory without the adenoidal aspect of '57 classics. I had not been impressed with the Fatboy's neck pickup and considered getting an H1 this time, but I am very glad that I got the H2. The neck is pretty rich, stands up to gain really well and presents a great modern jazz tone. You won't get Kenny Burrell out of it, but Mike Moreno, Sheryl Bailey, Vic Juris, you're in there. With some gain it's even vaguely Rosenwinkel-esque. I am thrilled with that. Again, the sustain is ridiculous. The in-between position is totally usable. Chimy without sending those Pavlovian Strat-vibes. Great for rootsy/blues with overdrive and for funky chording.

What else? I got the stainless frets which I am really enjoying. Totally smooth on the bends. Took a few days to ensure that I don't over bend, but now I don't think I'd go back. The satin finish feels great, very dry and cool. I had the top strap hook moved to the horn which is an option 50, but its hard to imagine the axe balancing with the hook in the original position.

Will try not to run on too much here -- I think the biggest intangible about the guitar is that it is very hi-fi. You're not going to get a full range of expression by pounding on it like you could with a strat, but if you have good control, and a touch-sensitive amp you will make it sing. I think this guitar has better sustain than my all-mahogany Fatboy did. This is standard woods with maple top.

OK, enough -- this H2 in alder and maple is an amazing guitar, and I love the seductive stealth that I got with the satin finish, lots of black and purple bursting out.

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:23 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on an HH2X, but have a question:

For those with the short trem arm, how do you like it?

I have always played Strats (besides my 3 Carvins I used to own,) and have had a short trem arm (Gilmour style) which worked perfect for grabbing with my pinky and doing light shimmer/vibrato.

However, I have heard the J-Custom trem is really stiff. So is the short trem arm pointless then? Can you wiggle it with your pinky, or would the tension make that impractical?

Thanks for any opinions you guys can share!

fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fatfretty » Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 am

Here's my Fatboy. I don't think it is DTS, I'm thinking that wasn't an option yet. I ordered it about a week after I met Bundy here in Winston- Salem, and got to play his CT that was finished in Dragonburst.

bgillon

Postby bgillon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:53 pm

There are some great looking Holdsworths on these pages.
Mine arrived for good just the other day. I assume I can officially join the club.

Outside shot:

This is a "4 wood." Figured walnut, mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board, HF2S. Natural gloss all round.

Inside shots:

And one of the back:

You know, this is a really nice club!

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:01 pm

speedyone wrote:I'm about to pull the trigger on an HH2X, but have a question:

For those with the short trem arm, how do you like it?

I have always played Strats (besides my 3 Carvins I used to own,) and have had a short trem arm (Gilmour style) which worked perfect for grabbing with my pinky and doing light shimmer/vibrato.

However, I have heard the J-Custom trem is really stiff. So is the short trem arm pointless then? Can you wiggle it with your pinky, or would the tension make that impractical?

Thanks for any opinions you guys can share!

Love the short arm trem on my hh2. No regrets at all.

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks Apollyon.

I ordered my HH2X back in April with the short arm...my completion date is 6/26.

I'm checking Facebook for pics of mine. Hopefully next week I might see a few pics!

:)

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs