The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH models)

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

awat

re: The Holdsworth Group II (H1/H2, HF1/HF2/Fatboy, HF2S/Syn

Postby awat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Have you seen the new headless Holdsworth guitar. The body is a little smaller and it is what Allan said he always wanted Carvin to build. I went to order one, but I am a lefty. So no go.
They told me at this time they are not going to make a left hand version of it. I wish they would. It would make a great travel guitar. There are not a lot of left hand travel guitar. At least I have never seen one. Hopefully in the future they will make a left hand version of Holdsworth new Guitar.

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH model

Postby mikeymac » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:06 am

I've updated the title of this thread to include the new HH Allan Holdsworth headless guitar, so I'm hoping folks will see that, and discuss those here as they start hitting the streets. Please help each other out by asking and answering questions about them, and lets keep this thread going about one of Carvin's most unique and successful models (at least in design standards, if not popularity ... although I think they've sold a lot of Holdsworth's over the years already, and the response to the announcement of the HH models has been HUGE).

I'm also going to petition one more time, Kevio, that the powers-that-be at Carvin find a way to offer at least the hardtail model of these left-handed. Are there other lefties out there who also want to order one of these? My promise to Carvin is that I will order one of these within 30 days of when lefties are announced (I've already spec'd out several!)

Thanks for remembering us lefties - we really do appreciate your efforts on our behalf!

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Someone else posted this You Tube video showing a new HH2 with a nice flamed top and tung oil finish. No sound demo, but it shows Carvin's beautiful wood and workmanship!

Hopefully more of these will start showing up this week, as a number of people had a card date of March 12!

(Please post your pics and comments here as they show up!)

Here you go:

http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVEeLbvqpzQ

:applause:

GreyJazz90

Postby GreyJazz90 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Mine should be completed next week. I'll post a vid when I get it!

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 pm

my latest thoughts are an all jet black gloss with tung oil flame maple neck. I wonder what the cutoff line for the gloss black will look like/where it will be

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:35 am

Here are mine
H2t #1
H2t #2

and a short clip from a while ago with #1 before I had the floyd installed...
Actually it also has an SD JB in the neck position and SD Custom V in bridge which make it just a little hotter without going over the top
H2t #1 clip
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 am

a floyd in a regular H2????

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Yeah I was having probs with tuning doing some solos like Beat it in a covers band and thought it would fix the problem. I don't regret doing it but if the situation came round again I would just use a different guitar, any how she still works well so all good...
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

jfine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H1/H2, HF1/HF2/Fatboy, HF2S

Postby jfine » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:17 am

mikeymac wrote:
jfine wrote:Here's my HF2. It was the first Holdsworth to be done in Dragonburst, and it was ordered before that became a regular option. Note that it's not triple-step.

That's a nice one, jfine - I always love seeing pics of that one! ARe you the original owner?

Does it get much playing time these days...I know you play your TL60 a lot in your band...?

Hey, mikey--it's been a while since I checked out this thread! Yes, I'm the original owner. I've still got it, but the only playing I'm doing these days is around the house, so nothing's getting a whole lot of playing time these days since I had to quit gigging to get my knee replaced a year ago. The knee's doing fine, but there are no gigs--can't do anything about that; I'm just trying to keep my chops up!

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H1/H2, HF1/HF2/Fatboy, HF2S

Postby mikeymac » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 am

jfine wrote:Hey, mikey--it's been a while since I checked out this thread! Yes, I'm the original owner. I've still got it, but the only playing I'm doing these days is around the house, so nothing's getting a whole lot of playing time these days since I had to quit gigging to get my knee replaced a year ago. The knee's doing fine, but there are no gigs--can't do anything about that; I'm just trying to keep my chops up!

So you're no longer playing with the Mark Ford Band (was that the name?)? How are they getting along with out you?!

Wishing you a full recovery. If you're like most, it's painful for awhile, but later, you're glad you got it done.

DeathMonkey
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby DeathMonkey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:45 pm

They're headed right for us!

Python
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Python » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I like the one that's headless (almost)

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Mon May 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Guys,

I'm about 24 hours from launching my order for an HH2. Based on what I've read, I'm going to skip getting the trem, but I'm not a huge trem player anyway (too many years of fixed bridges tend to control one's playing style!).

Any last-minute suggestions or recommendations? For those of you who have one (or two!), what do you wish you had done differently? What options would you definitely or definitely NOT pick and why?

How does it feel playing standing up? Is it heavy or does it feel really light? What woods did you pick and why? How does it feel shlepping it around?

Does the hardshell case have room for accessories? For example, does it have room for a Pandora or a Pocket Pod or is it tight?

Thanks for your guidance and comments in advance!

MarshallTSL

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Best strings for my H2 so far...

Postby Bob77 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Ok, I'm not here to argue about guitar string brands as that kind of conversation always generates much debate. At the end everything comes down to personal taste.

Having said that...I've been playing using Dr Strings with the neon coating. From everything that I've tried in my H2, these strings have impressed me the most. The tone is really good, and they last a loooooooooong time. The coating does seem to extend string life.

I have to admit I like the intense Neon color. I hated it at first as it was way brighter than I thought. But then I got used to it to the point that I like it a lot now. People always like the bling factor on the guitar, LOL.

It is amazing how sometimes something as simple as trying a different brand of strings can slightly change the overall tone of a guitar.

The H2 remains my all time favorite Carvin electric guitar, followed by my DC127.

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm

^^^
whoa looks good!
I think I might get around to trying them. I bought a set for a bass player friend, and the color was way more brilliant than I expected--to say the least.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH m

Postby Bob77 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 am

Timotheedle wrote:^^^
whoa looks good!
I think I might get around to trying them. I bought a set for a bass player friend, and the color was way more brilliant than I expected--to say the least.

Hahaha, thanks for the compliment.

But you are right, they are REALLY brighter than what you might expect. They are supposed to 'glow in the dark' if you have one of dark lights or ultraviolet lights. I haven't tried that yet, but I bet they will probably glow a lot. They also have other crazy colors like orange and purple I believe.

I restrung my other Carvins with Dr Strings but on the black color. They look awesome too.

ElfDude

Re: Best strings for my H2 so far...

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 am

Bob77 wrote:I've been playing using Dr Strings with the neon coating. From everything that I've tried in my H2, these strings have impressed me the most. The tone is really good, and they last a loooooooooong time.

That looks really cool!

Are you able to say if they last as long as Elixirs?
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

DocD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH m

Postby DocD » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:10 am

MarshallTSL wrote:Guys, I'm about 24 hours from launching my order for an HH2. Based on what I've read, I'm going to skip getting the trem, but I'm not a huge trem player anyway (too many years of fixed bridges tend to control one's playing style!). Any last-minute suggestions or recommendations? For those of you who have one (or two!), what do you wish you had done differently? What options would you definitely or definitely NOT pick and why? How does it feel playing standing up? Is it heavy or does it feel really light? What woods did you pick and why? How does it feel shlepping it around? Does the hardshell case have room for accessories? For example, does it have room for a Pandora or a Pocket Pod or is it tight?Thanks for your guidance and comments in advance! MarshallTSL

Did you ever order a Holdsworth? It looks like no one replied to you, and it's been over a month??

If you've already ordered it, then most of the feedback would be moot, but a couple of things to prepare you:

(1) You can stand and play one of these all day long and hardly notice that it's there, they just don't weigh hardly anything at all.

(2) If you get the black tolex case, there's room for some picks, extra strings and a capo in the storage compartment, not much else. I even have to take the strap off and carry it in another bag because the case is just so tight (unlike my Strat case that's got room for tools, etc.)

If you have or haven't ordered, let the Holdsworth-ites know...

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:19 am

ElfDude wrote:
Bob77 wrote:I've been playing using Dr Strings with the neon coating. From everything that I've tried in my H2, these strings have impressed me the most. The tone is really good, and they last a loooooooooong time.

That looks really cool!

Thanks a lot !

Yes, the 'neon coated' ones definitely last longer than the Elixirs - at least that's my experience. BTW, I have never been a big fan of the Elixir brand. Again, I say this not to start an argument, but just talking from my personal experience.

The Dr 'extra', which is their regular color coated series last long, but not as long. They come in a bunch of different colors, but they are not bright-colored at all. So those might be closer to the Ellixirs in terms of how long they last.

The Dr Strings for Acoustic guitars are not as 'bright' sounding. I use them anyway because they last long, LOL. But I think their electric guitar strings are much better.

Hope this helps.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:35 am

Bob77 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

That looks really cool!

Thanks a lot !

Yes, the 'neon coated' ones definitely last longer than the Elixirs - at least that's my experience. BTW, I have never been a big fan of the Elixir brand. Again, I say this not to start an argument, but just talking from my personal experience.

The Dr 'extra', which is their regular color coated series last long, but not as long. They come in a bunch of different colors, but they are not bright-colored at all. So those might be closer to the Ellixirs in terms of how long they last.

The Dr Strings for Acoustic guitars are not as 'bright' sounding. I use them anyway because they last long, LOL. But I think their electric guitar strings are much better.

Hope this helps.

Neons last longer than Elixirs. Interesting.

Yes, it does help. Thanks.

I have three sets of Elixirs at home waiting to be used. But when they're gone, I may have to try a set of enons. :think:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs