The Holdsworth Group II (H2, Fatboy, Synth, new HH models)

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ElfDude

Re: re: The Holdsworth Group II (H1/H2, HF1/HF2/Fatboy, HF2S

Postby ElfDude » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:19 pm

dr.lizardo wrote:Cool thanks! I went ahead and ordered my H2 online this morning. I decided not to worry about where the strap button is for now, and see how I like it the standard way.

It shouldn't be at all difficult to add a second one after you receive the guitar if you wish.

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:09 pm

dr.lizardo wrote:Cool thanks! I went ahead and ordered my H2 online this morning. I decided not to worry about where the strap button is for now, and see how I like it the standard way.

Is it really uncomfortable standing up with the button in the stock spot?

Congrats on your order!

Some people get along with it fine behind the neck, others don't. I've only had it behind the neck on my Fatboy; it might be different on a standard Holdsworth with the thinner body.

What other options did you order?

derrylgabel
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: The Holdsworth Group II (H1/H2, HF1/HF2/Fatboy, HF2S/Syn

Postby derrylgabel » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:18 pm

This might be of interest to some folks. I had Carvin put the 20 radius Holdsworth neck on an ST300. I love it. Plays great! The action is like 1 centimeter at the 12th fret.
This guitar also has the Holdsworth pickup in the bridge.
BTW, the guitar in the very beginning of this clip in the photo is actually a DC145. It has the standard 15 radius neck. I prefer the 20 radius though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4tgzanu ... ideo_title

On my youtube channel I have other clips of me using my H2T.

dr.lizardo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby dr.lizardo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 am

mikeymac wrote:Congrats on your order! What other options did you order?

H2 - Allan Holdsworth Semi-Hollow Guitar
Right Handed
$ 90.00 - FSSA - Umber Stain - Sunset Burst Flame
$ 0.00 - -CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -AA - Alder Neck/Alder Body (Standard)
$ 40.00 - FPH - Flamed Maple Headstock Matches Body Color
$ 0.00 - -EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -DI - Dot Inlays (Standard)
$ 40.00 - STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
$ 40.00 - R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius
$ 0.00 - -CH - Chrome Hardware (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -41 - H22T Bridge Pickup (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -42 - H22N Neck Pickup (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)
$ 0.00 - WL - White Logo
$ 10.00 - SL - Dunlop Straplocks
$ 0.00 - HC11S - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case FREE

:woot:

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 am

That's going to be a sweet, beautiful, and resonant guitar! :wink:

NIck Z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NIck Z » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Looking fwd to adding some pics to this thread - ups says delivery is scheduled for weds :D

NIck Z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NIck Z » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 am

As promised - here are pics of my new H2 -arrived this am with the side dots on the wrong side of the board.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:07 am

NIck Z wrote:As promised - here are pics of my new H2 -arrived this am with the side dots on the wrong side of the board.

Picture links are groovy!

Gorgeous finish!

And the dots look like they're on the right side to me! ;)
Last edited by ElfDude on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kbeaumont
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kbeaumont » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:09 am

They work here, even in your reply.

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:30 pm

So, Nick, aside from Carvin's blunder on the fretboard (which I addressed in your other thread on this) how did you like the tone? You mentioned you liked how it sat on your lap/leg when seated...did you try it on a strap? How's the unplugged resonance? Looks gorgeous - too bad about the error. Maybe they'd sell it to me cheap? :wink:

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:40 pm

2 quick question for you Holdsworth folks:

First, does your Holdsworth feel noticeably lighter than a Strat or your other guitar?

(I've got a bad back, and even my 8 lb strat cause me some pain to play for awhile).

Second, how does a Holdsworth with a wilkinson do as far as being able to stay in tune?

Nice looking green quilt by the way! I hope customer service fixes it for you quickly.

NIck Z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NIck Z » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:49 pm

mikeymac wrote:So, Nick, aside from Carvin's blunder on the fretboard (which I addressed in your other thread on this) how did you like the tone? You mentioned you liked how it sat on your lap/leg when seated...did you try it on a strap? How's the unplugged resonance? Looks gorgeous - too bad about the error. Maybe they'd sell it to me cheap? :wink:

Hi Mikey,
I love the sound and the feel of the gtr. I have not tried it on a strap yet.
The sound unplugged is more or less what I expected from a hollow bodied gtr without a sound hole. PLugged in it reminds me of a cross between an SG and a tele. There is a noticeable top end to it - and very little bottom.
The neck is comfy and I went with med jumbo ss frets and they work well for me on this particular radius. I am waiting to hear back from my sales guy to see if something can be worked out - hopefully Carvin will come through.

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 am

speedyone wrote:2 quick question for you Holdsworth folks:
First, does your Holdsworth feel noticeably lighter than a Strat or your other guitar?
(I've got a bad back, and even my 8 lb strat cause me some pain to play for awhile).
Second, how does a Holdsworth with a wilkinson do as far as being able to stay in tune?

My alder H2T with koa top was very light - definitely under 7 lbs. as Carvin claims in their specs. My mahogany H2 (with flamed top) also felt like it was around 7 lbs. They both felt great on a strap.

I thought the Wilky worked pretty well on the H2T: I think the smaller headstock and locking tuners helps keep it in tune...but ALWAYS lube your nut slots with something, and stretch the strings out some (I don't like to overdo stretching strings, cuz I think it kills their tone ... JMHO!).

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:53 am

NIck Z wrote:Hi Mikey,
I love the sound and the feel of the gtr. I have not tried it on a strap yet.
The sound unplugged is more or less what I expected from a hollow bodied gtr without a sound hole. PLugged in it reminds me of a cross between an SG and a tele. There is a noticeable top end to it - and very little bottom.
The neck is comfy and I went with med jumbo ss frets and they work well for me on this particular radius. I am waiting to hear back from my sales guy to see if something can be worked out - hopefully Carvin will come through.

The Standard Holdsworth neck (which IS slightly smaller in specs than the Fatboy neck) is the most comfortable neck I've ever played. If it had a 1 3/4" nut, I would call it perfect, it seems to be just slightly wider than 1 11/16".

If/when I can afford another Fatboy and H2T, I'll order the Fatboy with a standard, Gibson style 12" radius, and the H2T with a more Fender-like 10" radius; those will be perfect necks for my hands and playing.

I'm also waiting for Carvin to offer their new vintage trem on the H2T model: Bart, Albert, Mark, Kevio - are you guys listening? I'll order one the DAY you make this an option!

As to playing either version on a strap, I've found that I prefer the strap button to be on the upper horn rather than behind the neck heel; they balance perfectly that way for me ... something to consider if you reorder. Carvin will move that strap button for no charge, I believe (I've ordered every Holdsworth except my first with it moved, so they've done it a lot).

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks MikeyMac for your reply to my question!

I really wish I could get another trem besides the Wilkinson on an H2.

I recently sold off all my gear to fund an international adoption, but I'm hoping to buy an H2 after I bring my little kiddo home!

I've seen a few bridges that would be really cool to try on the H2:

Bladerunner
Evertune
Babicz Full Contact

All these I'm sure would be an improvement over the Wilki.

mikeymac
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mikeymac » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Will the Bladerunner trem work on the wilky posts? It seems like maybe some guys have traded those out for each other, but not sure?

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Not without reworking the holes; they're different sizes, and from what I've read, you'd need to fill in one or more of the holes with dowels or something and re-drill.

I read the Gotoh 100VSN is a drop-in replacement...and from the specs I read, the Babicz tune-o-matic bridge seems to be a drop-in fit.

My preference would be for Carvin to just put in a trem I like, but I don't think they'll do that, as they don't have cnc routes for bridges other than what they offer for the H2T...at least I assume that's the case.

Hmmm...I've got plenty of time to think about it.

I just hate being out of tune, especially when doing melodic chordal playing! That's what I get for using super slinky strings and playing solos with wide vibrato I guess.

:)

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 am

OK, since the other big Holdsworth thread got deleted, how about opinions on the H2 tonally?

Can you compare it's tone to any other guitar?

Does it have any "snap" to the notes"? Are the notes "fat"? Is the tonality mid focused?

I am curious about tonal aspects, as I can't find anyone's opinion on this.

(And yes, I HAVE checked out various videos on youtube, where the H2 is used for music anywhere from Holdsworth and others who play like him, to the guitarist for the band Periphery doing Nu-Metal, and other players/styles too.)

Anyone think the Holdsworth model is best suited to certain types of tones/styles?

I appreciate everyone's opinion!

I'm sure for some, my questions may seem nitpicky, but this next purchase will be my only one for a REALLY long time--and I want to pick the right one on the first try! My most recent guitar was a Soloway, and while it was the absolute PINNACLE of tone, I just couldn't get used to the 27" scale length.

dr.lizardo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby dr.lizardo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:04 am

speedyone wrote:I'm sure for some, my questions may seem nitpicky

I don't think these are nitpicky questions. I hope someone can chime in and answer. I ordered an H2 about 3 weeks ago and am dying to find out what it sounds like and looks like in person.

I hope it has a nice semi-hollow vibe, as I have never had a semi-hollow guitar.

I wish I was getting mine sooner so I could give you a tone report. :)

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:36 am

the semi hollow feel is definitely there.

the first note I played on my HF2 just felt like a whole new thing for me. like I could really feel the instrument.

and of course that semi-hollow feel is more and more pronounced as you raise the action.
though I sort of put playability at very first priority, so I keep the action lower than how it came from the factory.

and btw, the HF2 was the first really nice guitar that I could really learn on/play a lot. so I was sort of in the same boat with getting THE instrument, you know??

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs