KOA Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: KOA Club

Postby Geddy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:21 am

GateZ, I totally agree with you. Carvin always makes a great looking, playing and sounding instrument, but more often than I can count they produce the unbelievable! I totally get that "Little kid on Christmas Morning" feeling, in fact, I said the same the very same thing regarding my waiting period.

She'll be in your hands very soon now Bro. Get the camera, video, local paper and social media experts ready and on hand for your unboxing. I know it will be a very memorable experience and one in which it will catch you by surprise no mater how well prepared you are for it.

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

GateZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby GateZ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 pm

In a world where sometimes smiles can be hard to come by, it seems like these guys try to hand them out every chance they get :D
The wait is close to over and i've got some cool plans for pics… Aside from the unboxing itself, there is a spot down the street that would be perfect for pics with this guitar… I can't say much without spoiling it haha but as long as I can borrow a decent camera I should have some real nice pics up soon.
GateZ
2015 Vader V6 (Koa)

AzBloozBase

Postby AzBloozBase » Fri May 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi all. I just got a koa LB75 and played it for one gig. It's in the shop getting set up the way I want it but I have fallen in love with this thing. It has taken the front seat in the gig section. My back up bass has become the Warwick bubinga Standard V

AzBloozBase

Postby AzBloozBase » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 pm

I just recently acquired one of these fine basses. I have read all the reviews... threw them out (good and bad) and played one and listened to three (I'm a lefty, only one of those) and I FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS THING.

I'm still figuring out how to work out the fine adjustments with knobs, but I'm not looking for a P/J/Jaco, Stanley, Victor, Marcus etc vibe...

Just me on a koa Carvin LB75, man. :applause:

WELL DONE Carvin

4everrebel

Postby 4everrebel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:20 pm

So this is my other "Koa" guitar, but then I'm not really sure if it's Koa or Mahogany. Can ya help me out and let me know what it is please?

Thanks and awesome guitars!

AzBloozBase

Postby AzBloozBase » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:15 pm

I just got this koa Carvin LB75. Beautiful playing instrument. I just have to figure out these little tone knobs for fine adjustments.Image

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:17 am

4everrebel, that is a good question, and sometimes, like on your guitar, it's very hard to distinguish. I'd suggest that the body wings look like mahogany but the neck through looks like Koa. Sometimes you can get a piece of Koa that doesn't have any of that characteristic dark grain cutting through. Tone wise, if you are getting very good note separation and clarity, strong mids and a good balance of low end and high end, and great sustain, chances are it's Koa.

In any case, it's a great looking guitar and I bet it sounds incredible! Just a tip, edit your post and press enter right after where each photo is inserted and it will line them up on top of each other.

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CS624M Ginger

Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,

Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.

Custom Pedalboard

TKDStitch

Postby TKDStitch » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:08 pm

My brother's koa 5 stringer. Built early 90's. Since he isn't playing much, I am it's foster parent.

Plays like a dream. In fact, he played it so much in the past that the gold chrome on some of the knobs has come off, and there is a worn spot above the pickups where he rested his thumb.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 am

Figured I'd throw mine up here. A 1985 DC150K, solid old koa from butt to headstock. Back then, when koa was hardly known or craved, there was no real premium on highly figured pieces, so back then you didn't need a "top" since they tended to use only the nice pieces. Nowadays, the pieces that they used back then for your full body would be sawed into a bunch of thin tops, and something a little more plain would be the body underneath. But they never capped guitars back then.

A caveat, I'm not a gigantic fan of super-symmetrical tightly flamed koa that goes on top of guitars nowadays and costs a million dollars. What I completely adore about koa is the crazy variety of asymmetrical waves, lines, flames, curls, bird eyes and insane 3D effects that can be in one single cut of wood. Out on the edges of my guitar you can see the color shift from red to a rich yellow, almost like someone sawed the edges and glued contrasting pieces in.

Unfortunately this is with an 8MP tablet cam, so the depth of the 3D effect is hard to pick up in shots. There's a whole world of blaring 3D swirls in the grain that I just can't pick up. But you can see in some shots she looks flamed or curled, in others she looks purely vertically striped. Koa is crazy wood.

But anyway this is my irreplaceable number 1. She's a little bit dinged up after thirty years but she's built like a tank. And to Carvin luthier's credit, there isn't a single crack in the finish owing to time. It's as smooth as the day I bought it, but for my own dings and bumps:

And with her hubby, my 1985 X Amp loaded w V30's:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Gene from Tampa

Postby Gene from Tampa » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:48 pm

CT-6 Flamed Koa

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:02 am

That's a sweet piece, Doc. 8) 8)
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: re: KOA Club

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:00 pm

skully13a wrote:That's a sweet piece, Doc. 8) 8)

Thank you sir! Looking at these pics I should have shined her up and taken all the fingerprint patina off, and gotten some better light w a better camera so the effects showed up w a better hint of the depth of the figuring / finish. As it's aged the finish has a copper radiance against the deep amber of the wood that's real nice. It's almost too good to be true that such a pretty wood packs such a perfectly balanced tone, too. Like mahogany with just a touch more 3D brightness... so it does the Les Paul hog/maple combo but without need of the top.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Was just looking at the pricing on a DC600...sure the actual pricing is 50% off (as it's been for years and years and years), but the "list" price of the figured koa top is...*gulp*...$1,000. :shock:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:38 pm

..and that's just a top.

The days of 40 bucks extra from a plain unfigured maple axe to a 100% koa dazzler, doesn't even seem believable. Insanity. But look at things like your Taylor, the Suhr solid koa bodies (4k plus). I guess it's just too localized and limited a strain. Much of the stuff nowadays is prematurely logged stuff that resembles a nice korina--but Suhr, Taylor (some of Carvin's current stuff too)-- they're still getting the real deal.

Super pricey, but the real thing.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Wow, some amazing looking geetars here. My CS6 . . .

Last edited by canon_mutant on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:10 pm

..and on the eighth day god rested, and said "DUDE, dig this.. Ima create siiiiiiiiccckk tonewood, y'eard?"--and verily was koa made flesh in the world.

That's a bananas top. I usually don't like that tight flamed maple like pattern for koa, but yours still has all that amazing asymmetrical craziness that makes it so great. SO--

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I need to take sunlight shots like that to get all that 3D.

EDIT: BTW you wouldn't happen to have "covered M22 stock pickups" on your axe would you? Me and spudmonkey were just an hour ago talking about an axe just like yours--CS6 koa top in gold hardware and a floyd on yt. But yours has wilder figuring. But with koa from certain angles the figures can look one way, then from another, different. Like mine from one angle is all vertical stripes... then you get on the other side and all this flaming and color shift pops out of nowhere.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: re: KOA Club

Postby wickid » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:24 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:..and on the eighth day god rested, and said "DUDE, dig this.. Ima create siiiiiiiiccckk tonewood, y'eard?"

And there was much debating.
yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy

PS Can somebody please edit their post to kill this lateral scrolling - thx.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Gotta be 4everrebel. He needs to hit enter after each of his pics and get them vertically stacked.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:25 pm

You know, if it plays like butt, then it's just a nice piece of furniture . . .

This KOA CS6 is my goto guitar. It is absolutely "better" than my 1 of only 25, Cognacburst, 50th anniversary R9 that I thought I needed since I also turned 50 in 2009 AND the one I stumbled across has my birthday month/year "in the serial number". That was like a sign from the guitar gods or something but this Carvin out plays it, out sounds it, in every way. Not to imply my Gibson is a POS . . . nor is it for sale!

That said, of late, I've been getting lazy about switching guitars so I got a piezo equipped TL60 which is quite nice but a little short on the acoustic side and am now looking at going Semi-Hollow Synth but that CS6 is easily the best guitar investment I have made to date . . . :arrow: :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:50 am

I would say a solid 80% of Les Paul players that I've encountered in my time who acquired a CSingle, CT, or some of the older LP scale/wired CM and DC models have left Les Pauls permanently behind. And it was an instant conversion mixed with disbelief for the looks, the price, customizability and of course playability.

Never got to say to Gene From Tampa:

Beautiful koa top! It looks like rippled petrified amber. Love it! :applause:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs