SC90 .. props to Carvin's 'unsung' model

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

1Gearmadman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Location: Ontario,Canada,Earth,Milky Way Galaxy ,The Universe

SC90 .. props to Carvin's 'unsung' model

Postby 1Gearmadman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 am

For those of us who own at least one or in Spoons case , several of these 'unsung' Carvin models!

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: SC90 .. props to Carvin's 'unsung' model

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 am

:shock:

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

pastordave2
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby pastordave2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 pm

Man is that gorgeous! I could stare at that all day.

Hairmacht
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Hairmacht » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Oh that's one delicious looking guitar. That top wood 8)

1Gearmadman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 1Gearmadman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks for the compliment gentleman .. I only wish they'd do a carved top version of the SC90 .. I'd be on the phone putting in an order .. lol

Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Evster2012 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm

It's funny, for all the raving and drooling I've done over Carvins all these years, I've never given the SC90 much if any thought. Then Munson posts his new "SC-145" and I kinda sat there staring at it. I thought Wow. Never really thought about that one before! So, madman Ev quickly runs to his Photoshop and starts tinkering. Then I went to sleep and forgot about it. Yesterday I was at rehearsal and was switching off between my DC400 and my Strat and that little seed in the back of my mind started growing and growing: Something neck thru like my DC, with the same basic electronics, but with some of the body dimensions I like in my Telecaster and my Strat. I tend to sling my DC below the hip, but my Fenders I cinch up and cradle a bit more. I came home and sat down at my computer. When the screen awoke, there was that SC90 still open in Photoshop and I had a minor epiphany of sorts. I'm really very seriously reconsidering the DC600 I've been obsessing over for the last 6 months and throwing everything into an SC90. I have to admit everything about this feels right! :D

Putting together the elements I'd had planned for my DC600 I've come around to roughly this:

1gearmadman, I'm sure you'd approve! :wink:

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:53 pm

EXCELLENT, bro!
:wink:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

1Gearmadman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 1Gearmadman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:13 pm

YES !!!

Image[/quote]

That looks saaaah weeeeet tah !!!

That's the trouble when you start 'building' in your mind .. it's becomes an obsession.

My advice is over think what you truly want .. chances are you'll probably be ordering another one as soon you unpack the one you haven't even received yet .. lol

I own the SC90 , a C66 and a Bolt + .. they all play great .. Carvin necks are home for me and have been since I owned my first one back in '90 .

1Gearmadman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 1Gearmadman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:17 pm

By the way .. if I was to order another SC90 .. it would pretty much be a clone to that but with a flamed maple nin fretboard and creme bezels .. and I'd go with a 12" radius instead of the 14" I have on the others. :D :applause:

Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Evster2012 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:25 pm

My first draft had the flamed fretboard, but the cost was going up rapidly, so I ratcheted it down a notch to birdseye. The $30 for the abalone logo still makes me wince a bit, but I like conceptual continuity. :wink: The one thing I'd miss would be a right arm bevel, but yeah, I think we've got a winner! :mrgreen:

Come to think of it, the ivory nut is a holdover from the Floyd I also factored in, but I decided my DC can handle whammy duties (and the accompanying $120 tariff).

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: SC90 .. props to Carvin's 'unsung' model

Postby Roy Munson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Evster2012 wrote:It's funny, for all the raving and drooling I've done over Carvins all these years, I've never given the SC90 much if any thought. Then Munson posts his new "SC-145" and I kinda sat there staring at it. I thought Wow. Never really thought about that one before!

8) :lol: Dude , this is what happened to me, except it was 1GM and the masterpiece SC90 he did. THen I really got curious about new EVH's, and PRS 305/513 etc. but prices and specs just weren't what I wanted in this style single-cut, but then the SC90 got back in my head and nothing could fix it. ALthough I was on a TL60 kick and almost did that the same configuration as this....

THis thing is so darn versatile! I wish I was in a band and had some serious glamour shots to put up like 1GM's stage shots, but alas,.... it is a joy to play nonetheless and my favorite Carvin and guitar ever ,...

Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Evster2012 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Love it! And now a peek inside my head (or a peek at how I take everyone else's cool ideas and insidiously steal them for my own needs):

The Deep Orange No-burst (stolen from omsong's lucky museum find) SC90 (every idea stolen from someone else!) :D

Guilty as charged! :twisted:

*edit to add* Oh, would'ya look what just happened (guitar on right!) :laughhard:

ImageImage

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Roy Munson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:52 am

:applause: :drool:

I'm already fantasizing about my next SC90 or possible HSH kit,..... or or ,.... but that SC90 idea you're workin looks like a winner.

And when you do a blade switch investigate the Schaller Megaswitch as a quality and pickup selection upgrade, I put 'em in everything that can take 'em. Stew-Mac has 'em, I stuck the S-model in my SC90 so I could keep it using the splitters and be clean 3-singles or mix-n-match. Theses Schallers are the Switchcraft of blade switches, just night and day better and feel better, and in some cases sounds better (I kid you not, better contacts and switch position stops)

Good luck on that SC90 madness/building in your head :lol: :twisted: :stir:

mge80
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby mge80 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 am

I had one at one time. All mahogany with M22V/M22SD pickups.

I didn't keep it very long before selling it. After trying this SC model, a DC145 and an AE185, I figured out that me and neck through/24 fret guitars just don't mesh.

(I also found I didn't mesh with the M pickups on this model or the block inlays..I'm a no inlays type on all my guitars these days....but I bought it from the GIS section, so...it came how it came. All in all, it was a very nice guitar. Just not for me.)

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Roy Munson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:02 pm

^ :roll: um so, What's all this then? :lol:

If I read 1GM's thread title correctly I'm guessing this is kinda supposed to be a 'props-to' thread , .... if ya ain't got some props for it then,... I have an idea,... okay maybe start a thread where you can list the stuff you ain't diggin on neckthrus and so on,... :think:

mge80
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby mge80 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, it works like this.

People start threads, others post in them.

I figured someone might want to see photos of my old SC90.

truedog
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby truedog » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:18 pm

My 2007 SC90. This is a great guitar and started my Carvinitis. The only thing I would have done different would be SS frets.

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Roy Munson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I love yours ^ TD 8) I had so many configuration ideas and yours is another one that gave me pause,... :drool: :think: I love that rounded edge on SC90's better than any other model and deliberated about it a long long time. The bodies on these are just the right size you can do any contour and be comfy, some may not dig the flat-top like me and 1GM have but they still are great that way.

arellanon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby arellanon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 am

mge80's old SC90 is such a classic looking SC90; love that look. I would get one similar to that SC90 but with an FT6 and chrome hardware. truedog's SC90 is also cool.

Without a doubt the SC90 is a diamond in the rough model; it has been pretty much been pushed aside since the CT line came out in 2004. But it remains quietly in the builder ready to be ordered. Ah, I need to get me one before Carvin even thinks of phasing it out.

:drool:

2002 Pearl Silver TL60
2009 Sapphire Blue ST300
1996 Blueburst DC135
2015 Grabber Blue Ultra V
2015 Vintage Yellow SC90
2015 Tung-Oiled CL450

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:59 am

You can't go wrong with this model. Mine was built in 2006...
Of all the other Carvins I have this one never sees the coughin. It's always out. I feel bad for the others.
ImageImageImage
My Carvin Guitars
My YouTube Channel
internet courtesy does not equate to daily drivers

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs