The one and only SPALT CLUB!

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Mooseboy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: The one and only SPALT CLUB!

Postby Mooseboy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:32 pm

THose Angel Wings are amazing- or at first glance, I saw it as a mustache. :mrgreen:

dc400dragonburst
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby dc400dragonburst » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:04 pm

dont get me wrong, spalt looks incredible, but i cant help but think its gotta sound like sh*t... being from a rotting tree and all.

from you spalt owners out there, how does it sound?
Guitars:
2012 DC400M w/ m22sd m22n
1997 Ibanez RG570 fgr
2011 LTD H1001 Deluxe w/ c22b,c22j

Amps:
2005 Koch Multi-tone w/ Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
2008 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier w/ Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab

Folkie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: re: The one and only SPALT CLUB!

Postby Folkie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:09 pm

dc400dragonburst wrote:dont get me wrong, spalt looks incredible, but i cant help but think its gotta sound like sh*t... being from a rotting tree and all.

(Sets timer for the start of the tonewood discussion...)

The percentage of "rot" is tiny compared to the totality of the wood.

Mooseboy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Mooseboy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 pm

dc400dragonburst wrote:from you spalt owners out there, how does it sound?

You tell me…

http://youtu.be/axXVHaa2cTs

http://youtu.be/qtnYrURzShw

http://youtu.be/UbKPrEwl9Kw

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 pm

It's just a thin top. Even if you believe the whole tone wood thing, having a thin piece of wood like that is negligible.
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

Koaboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Koaboy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Spaltlicious !!! :applause:
Ultra V Spalt 2014
CS624 gold top 2013
DC200 Koa 2004
Cobalt 980T 2004
DC125 1991
V220T 1985
SH225 White 1986
LB40 Koa 1983
DC160 1979
CM96 1976
Lots of Amps & Accs

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:04 pm

dc400dragonburst wrote:dont get me wrong, spalt looks incredible, but i cant help but think its gotta sound like sh*t... being from a rotting tree and all.

Well, if you think about it, flamed maple should also SIGNIFICANTLY change the tone compared to plain maple. The reason that there are flames at all is because that part of the tree grew under stress. Burls are a whole 'nother beast.

In regards to spalted maple, the spalted maple used for instruments, furniture pen blanks, etc is sort of in a mid-point between totally sound maple and totally rotten. It has some of it's stability...but needs help: a stabilizer.

Now, I don't know how Carvin does it (or how their suppliers might do it for them) but it's typically put in a vacuum to suck out all the air, and replace it with a resin. Minwax also makes a "wood hardener". It's a resin mixed with a solvent that penetrates into the wood. When the solvent evaporates, it leaves behind the resin....but this is generally for smaller pieces (like pen blanks, or knife handles).

So, in short, the top is likely saturated with a plastic/resin. For those that subscribe to the theories of tonewood, take solace in the fact that Carvin doesn't use it as a neck wood, fretboard wood, or body wings. Purely for tops and headstock veneers, and in my head, would have about the same affect as using the polyester clearcoat (in satin or gloss)...but I have zero evidence to back that up, as I only marginally subscribe to this line of thought on electric guitars.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:44 am

spudmunkey wrote:

Well, if you think about it, flamed maple should also SIGNIFICANTLY change the tone compared to plain maple. The reason that there are flames at all is because that part of the tree grew under stress. Burls are a whole 'nother beast.

In regards to spalted maple, the spalted maple used for instruments, furniture pen blanks, etc is sort of in a mid-point between totally sound maple and totally rotten. It has some of it's stability...but needs help: a stabilizer.

Now, I don't know how Carvin does it (or how their suppliers might do it for them) but it's typically put in a vacuum to suck out all the air, and replace it with a resin. Minwax also makes a "wood hardener". It's a resin mixed with a solvent that penetrates into the wood. When the solvent evaporates, it leaves behind the resin....but this is generally for smaller pieces (like pen blanks, or knife handles).

So, in short, the top is likely saturated with a plastic/resin. For those that subscribe to the theories of tonewood, take solace in the fact that Carvin doesn't use it as a neck wood, fretboard wood, or body wings. Purely for tops and headstock veneers, and in my head, would have about the same affect as using the polyester clearcoat (in satin or gloss)...but I have zero evidence to back that up, as I only marginally subscribe to this line of thought on electric guitars.

So, to the contrary, the spalts should sound brittle and harsh, given they are full of resin/filler/epoxy/hardener or whatever. Hmmm. And they don't. So, they neither sound bad due to being spalt nor brittle/harsh due to filler. Leaving the tonewood thing aside, I'll say this exemplifies the "guitars-are-a-signal-sending-device" axiom.

:wink:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

GuitarAnthony
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitarAnthony » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:04 am

Can't believe I never posted my TL60. She's not very spalty. She was my first Carvin custom and maybe some would have sent her back because of the lack of spaltyness but she sounded great so I kept her. In all honestly, she was gotten for studio work in NYC from me to bring from Virginia but my studio stopped bringing me back up there so she really never got a lot of play time. Tried selling her as well but the fleabayers kept lowballing me. Wasn't looking for what I paid but I wasn't gonna sell her for more than half less. Really. someone offered me $800 and wanted me to pay the shipping. Filthy savage. So I've decided to keep her here with her sisters.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:12 am

GuitarAnthony wrote:Can't believe I never posted my TL60. She's not very spalty.

That's a pretty poor photo but nevertheless quite a beautiful guitar. The flame is amazing. Most "flamed spalted" tops are more spalt, less flame. Yours leans the other way, but nothing wrong with that!

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 am

GuitarAnthony wrote:Can't believe I never posted my TL60. She's not very spalty...

I think she's just as beautiful as any other. Glad you didn't sell her, and welcome to the "club".

GuitarAnthony
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitarAnthony » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 am

Here's some better ones from when I first got it...

GuitarAnthony
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitarAnthony » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:24 am

Catman10 wrote:
GuitarAnthony wrote:Can't believe I never posted my TL60. She's not very spalty...

I think she's just as beautiful as any other. Glad you didn't sell her, and welcome to the "club".

With all the Carvins I have, I'm running out of clubs TO join. :mrgreen:

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 am

I've recorded with my XB75 that has a spalted maple top, and I think it sounds great! Here's an example of a bass track I recorded for this video using that bass...LINK

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 am

GuitarAnthony wrote:With all the Carvins I have, I'm running out of clubs TO join. :mrgreen:

I understand completely! I'm up to 10 Carvin basses, myself. I have just about every wood combo available, except for limba which is newly offered. And I have just about every pickup combo, except for soapbar and double-HB, and I don't have an AC-50 or 6-string bass...dang. Sounds like I still have some ordering to do... :roll:

vlnbow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vlnbow » Sat May 03, 2014 8:59 am

spalted/walnut Icon 5

vlnbow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vlnbow » Wed May 14, 2014 6:44 pm

One more entry to the club-

Spalt and walnut, satin finish.

gmiller

Postby gmiller » Fri May 30, 2014 4:46 pm

It's great to see all these glorious spalt tops. Here's my entry (built in 2012):

Koaboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Koaboy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Nice Spalts my brothers !! Here's my 2014 just in !

Ultra V Spalt 2014
CS624 gold top 2013
DC200 Koa 2004
Cobalt 980T 2004
DC125 1991
V220T 1985
SH225 White 1986
LB40 Koa 1983
DC160 1979
CM96 1976
Lots of Amps & Accs

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:08 am

Koaboy wrote:Image

Welcome to Spaltytown, Koaboy. I really like this backside shot, since it shows the spalt is a real "cap" and not just a flimsy veneer.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs