Headless Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Headless Club

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Headless Club Members (Full members who have posted photos of their Carvin headless guitars here)
LabyrinthShredder
11CaliSpecGT
ted
colossal
t0aj15
Iselvon
Ylv
Watermelon
Sirloin
GreyJazz90
Appollyon
Jimkatoom
leksmano
Publius77
Marshall TSL
bd
GuitarAnthony
Greg Emm
vlnbow
Shpence
FantasyMetal
haywoodwebb
marzzz
levelhead
emkbop
reentune
GHow
ferret
GateZ
bchulse
RaisingFear101
UnexplodedCow
Toecutter
CudBucket

This club is for Kiesel/Carvin headless model guitars and their admirers. This means any of the headless Kiesels/Carvins including the HH and Vader models. Feel free to post even if you don't have a headless guitar, but to be a full member means you've posted pictures of your Kiesel/Carvin headless guitar here.

I've been chomping at the bit to start a Carvin headless club; and since my HH2X arrived yesterday, I can start this club without getting cowbelled. Looking forward to seeing ted and colossal and the other headless enthusiasts around here. :D

I'll kick things off. Here are specs and pics from my HH2X I received yesterday!

HH2X
Right Handed
XS Tremolo

50 - Thinner neck profile

SM - Flamed Spalted Maple Top (Very Active Spalt)

-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)

BGB - Satin Matte Black Back & Sides

CS - Satin Matte Finish

EFB - Ebony Fingerboard Black (No Streaking)

AB - Abalone Block Inlays

STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W

-R20 - 20in Fretboard Radius (Standard)

-41 - H22T Bridge Pickup (Standard)

-42 - H22N Neck Pickup (Standard)

-400 - Black Pickups (Standard)

-BC - Black Hardware (Standard)

009 - Elixir 942E Super Light Gauge .009 - .042

BL - Black Carvin Logo

AK - Metal Knobs w/ Abalone Inlays

SL - Dunlop Straplocks

XSA - Short Tremolo Arm, Black (additional)

HC7 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case

I love the satin matte back and sides! The paint color even matches the ebony perfectly!

Even though binding is not an option on this guitar, the satin BGB with the light colored top almost fool you into thinking there is natural binding. The contrast is incredibly beautiful.

I'll take some fresh pics and do a "headless club exclusive" picture post soon. Welcome to the headless club everyone!! Cheers! :mrgreen:
Last edited by LabyrinthShredder on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:25 am, edited 38 times in total.
2015 Kiesel Darth Vader 8 Satin Black Flame, 2013 HH2X Clear Satin Spalted Maple, 2012 DC800 Satin DTS Clear Quilt, 2011 ST300C Gloss Black Stain Quilt
INCREATE

11CaliSpecGT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re: Headless Club

Postby 11CaliSpecGT » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:27 pm

That is some great looking spalt! Gratz on your NGD! I am GREEN with envy, so I think I'll go Radioactive!

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Think I'll take some outdoor pics tomorrow and drop them in here! Now we just need Carvin to build us a headless bass!
AC375, HH2, DC135, Ultra V, CS6M, V3MC/212S
XB75/PB4/VB4/MB1215

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Hahaha, thanks 11CaliSpecGT! That "radioactive" finish is incredible!! I really love the option choices on your guitar, very classy. The radiation green is hypnotizing! :shock:

Stoked to see some outdoor pics!! That finish is going to be jaw dropping in the sun. I need to take some sunny pics of my spalt, it was overcast yesterday.

This club is awesome already, just the idea of seeing new images of all the gorgeous HH guitars that have been built lately is so exciting! :applause: :applause: :applause:
2015 Kiesel Darth Vader 8 Satin Black Flame, 2013 HH2X Clear Satin Spalted Maple, 2012 DC800 Satin DTS Clear Quilt, 2011 ST300C Gloss Black Stain Quilt

INCREATE

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Headless basses would be very cool too! That's why I named this the headless club instead of the HH club or the Holdsworth Headless club; just in case Carvin decides to introduce new headless models in the future, they would be welcome here. They did such a stunning job with the HH guitars, clearly Carvin can execute amazing headless instruments!

INCREATE

Mooseboy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Mooseboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Aha! You're ahead of me as usual, you've started the Headless Club... and that's a great idea, leaving it a little more "open ended" so to speak.

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks Mooseboy! I think headless instruments are ready for a comeback and after researching them extensively, Carvin clearly is the only one to offer this level of quality at this price point. There are either super high-end very expensive custom headless guitars that take an extensive time to build or lower-level, cheap foreign made headless guitars. Carvin is right in the middle and it's the perfect balance of quality (incredible quality!) and price. These guitars are completely unique to both the guitar market and Carvin at the moment. Hopefully it's the beginning of some new cutting edge headless guitar designs from Carvin, starting with the HH models.

Really looking forward to seeing yours Mooseboy!! :mrgreen: :applause:

INCREATE

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:07 pm

This didn't come with my Carvin HH2X, but it would have been useful. Anyways, here it is if others have basic questions about how the XS trem works: http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/Ca ... esFXXS.pdf

Cheers headless lovers! :mrgreen:

INCREATE

11CaliSpecGT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby 11CaliSpecGT » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:52 am

So, as promised, here are some outdoor shots of my HH2 taken this morning. First, the all important specs...

Radiation Green Metallic
White Birch Top (Standard)
Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)
Flamed Maple Fingerboard (Tung-Oiled)
No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only
Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W
20in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
Black Hardware (Standard)
C22B Bridge Pickup w/ Coil Splitter
C22B Neck Pickup
White Coils w/ Black Bezels
Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard)
White Plastic Volume/Tone Knobs

Next, my entry ticket into the club!

Now, a direct sunlight shot which really doesn't give a good idea of the actual color...

Let's follow that up with a couple of front angle sun shots that give a better idea of the color...

Next, a few shots in the shade...

And to finish up, I'll share an across the yard shot...

Followed by the logo of MY FAVORITE GUITAR COMPANY!!!

Hope you all enjoyed!!
XB75/PB4/VB4/MB1215

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ted » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:49 am

Double post
Last edited by ted on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ted » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:50 am

11CaliSpecGT, your green HH2 looks awesome--especially outdoors! For some reason, I especially like the next to last pic-- the full body shot where it's sitting upright on its stand and you can see the whole thing. More people should post at least one shot like this when they're putting up pics of their guitars. I love lots and lots of closeups from different angles, but so many people neglect to include a simple full-body pic of the entire instrument from a distance, where the viewer gets a good idea what the guitar might look like on stage or across a room.

I think the Radiation Green looks wonderful on your HH2. A very fun look.

LabyrinthShredder, I'm still reeling over how awesome your spalt turned out. Like Geddy said, it looks JUST LIKE a pirate map-- he really hit the nail on the head there. I get lost looking at the beauty of that wood... and that's just from the pics. If I had that guitar at home, I'd take it with me wherever I go. If I'm eating my raisin bran-- then I'm going to first set this beauty down in my sight line so I can stare at it while I'm having breakfast... I'd never be able to let it out of my sight! I'd love to see some outdoor pics-- and especially, since you mentioned it, some video!!!

I'm going to visit my folks later, amd I'll bring my HH2 so I can take some outdoor pics in their yard and post them here, because I haven't taken any outdoors yet. But the times I've had it outdoors, I was amazed at how well the grain pops right out of the matte satin.

Here's one older pic to get me into the club... and then newer pics later!

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Whoa!! :shock:

Great photos 11CaliSpecGT!! That guitar is very unique with those great option choices. The radiation green metallic is gorgeous, especially paired with the white hardware and flamed maple fretboard. Great choice on the painted satin back of neck too; love the way that feels! That's a really amazing guitar and it looks crazy neon in direct sunlight. I can imagine that guitar plays and sounds awesome! Thanks for posting these fantastic photos!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ted, thank you! I'm still reeling as well. Yes, taking it everywhere I go also; it never leaves my sight. Even move it into the bedroom so I can sleep with it next to my bed at night (nothing weird, hahaha). I'm very excited to take some sunlit pictures of my HH2X, the flame is crazy and all the little details should really be enhanced in the sunlight. Should have those in the next day or so depending on the weather here.

I love your HH2, ted! It has such a classic look to it. The modern styling with the vintage looking finish gives it a really cool vibe!! I bet the sound is just as incredible as the look!! :D

I spent a lot of time with mine yesterday, got it all set up with even lower action. The neck was pretty much straight thanks to the great setup job they did, but I just tweaked the truss rod slightly. If the guitar played flawlessly before, all I can say is that it plays godlike now! The setup is wonderful with super low action, yet no dead notes or buzzing anywhere on the fretboard. The sound is equally incredible as the feel and looks. The tone is full and beautiful. Played it for several hours last night and I'm stunned. This is my new main guitar and I'm not even completely used to it yet. As much as I love my other Carvins, this headless really is a step above anything else I've ever played. :mrgreen:

I'll definitely be posting a video with it in the coming week. Excited to show what this guitar can do! 8)

INCREATE

Mooseboy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Mooseboy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Oh, the agony of having to wait to be in this club! :wall:

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Soon enough Mooseboy, hang in there! Our card days were like 3 days apart, so yours should be arriving really soon. It will be WELL worth the wait. :mrgreen:

INCREATE

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 am

Got some photos taken of the HH2X in my backyard. Had an issue logging into my photobucket earlier, so finally posting them now. The guitar plays and sounds wonderful and is my new main guitar. A step above the rest, I'm still amazed!

Sunlit photos taken earlier today in my backyard:

Mmmmm, smell that mimosa. 8)

INCREATE

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ted » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Wow... That spalt looks incredible outdoors. Thanks for posting these pics. I keep seeing different figures in that wood. Right where the Carvin logo is, that darker patch looks like the head of a deer/elk type creature with antlers or something. Very distinct. And I also see a very slight mischievous smiling skull on the bottom horn cutaway. Kind of like looking at clouds and daydreaming-- you see all kinds of stuff.

I'm really surprised at all the flames on the top-- with gives it all even more depth and dimension. I know it was a bit risky to get black back and sides, but that was unquestionably the right choice-- it's like the perfect setting for the jewel-like top.

One thing I just noticed, technically... You've got double ball strings on your guitar, yet the single ball "lock plate" (don't know what it's called) is still screwed into the headpiece and visible. Hmmmm.... The thing is, when I took mine to the shop to get a setup and have double balls on it, I noticed when I got it back that this piece had been removed from the headstock and the tech had put in in the accessory box in my case. I didn't realize this piece actually came off of the guitar-- but I realized that with double ball strings, you don't need to have this piece screwed into the headpiece anymore.

So if you want to take even more weight off the headpiece, you can simply remove this piece and store it in your case. I'd have probably just left it on there, not thinking about it, but since my tech removed it, it makes a decent amount of sense for me to just keep it off the guitar when I'm not using it. It does make the headpiece look a bit different because you can see daylight where there used to be a metal block held in with tiny hex screws. Just a small bit of minutia. :)

Interesting you mentioned the smell of mimosas... I'm working on becoming a perfumer and this past week I've been working hard at forumulating my own recreations of single note floral smells from hundreds of aromachemicals. I just finished some various recreations including roses, gardenias, honeysuckle, jonquil, and violet. Have to do a mimosa. Also, I'm still thinking about making the smell of a new Carvin guitar when you open the case-- that cherry tobacco/tonka bean/vanilla smell. :D

So anyway, I took my HH2 to my parents' house yesterday-- since they have a big green yard in the suburbs and I live in a downtown area. It was nice to take the axe out in the yard and snap some pics and smell the flowers in the yard too!

It wasn't sunny like I hoped it would be, so as a result, the top doesn't glow like it does when really bright sunlight hits it, but it still looks pretty good. Thanks for the compliments on mine too, Labyrinth Shredder! I think every HH guitar I've seen on these forums has been a custom build--except mine which was from Guitars-In-Stock. The vintage styling contrasted with the modern design was exactly what caught my eye. The first time I saw the HH series, the first thing I thought was, "OMG, these guitars are so '80's in the best possible way." I wanted one with really bright pearl colors-- as wild as possible. Then I saw this tobacco sunburst specimen and it didn't quite have that "New Wave" look about it, but it tugged at my heart like a puppy and I had to make it mine.

I still want to get something really loud and crazy looking down the road-- like the magenta quilt build I mentioned-- but in the meantime, I'm really enjoying this one. :)

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Headless Club

Postby ted » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Double post

11CaliSpecGT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby 11CaliSpecGT » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Man, you guys are brave. I'm too chicken to lay my guitars right in the grass or up against trees. At least not until they get some dings...
XB75/PB4/VB4/MB1215

ted
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Headless Club

Postby ted » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:15 pm

11CaliSpecGT wrote:Man, you guys are brave. I'm too chicken to lay my guitars right in the grass or up against trees. At least not until they get some dings...

Haha, well I try to be reeeeally careful.

Still, if there's ONE guitar on earth that has the center of gravity that allows its owner relative confidence in the stability of just leaning it up against something, it's certainly a Carvin Holdsworth-- especially the headless models. I used to think the flanged design with the two strap pins was just random, but I really appreciate it for its function.

It did feel a bit weird laying it down in a bed of soft grass and clover, but then I wanted to lie down WITH it and take a nap! :)

Looking at Labyrinth Shredder's pics again... It just struck me how awesome that setting is-- with the slivers of light hitting it through the foliage, it looks like something out of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The guitar itself looks like it has an ancient map on its top; its like a prized treasure in a South American temple off in the jungle. Maybe some blowgun boobytraps and a falling boulder if someone tries to steal it! :D

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 am

Here are a few photos of my HH1X having a lounge on the couch. Truly a work of art; hats off to Allan Holdsworth and the fine folks at Carvin.

Specifications:
HH1X Holdsworth 1-P/U Headless XS Trem, alder body, flamed maple top
FTC Translucent Clear/Flamed Maple, gloss finish on body, top and neck
DTS Deep Triple Step Stain (neck and top)
FMN Flamed Maple Neck
EFB Ebony Fretboard, black
NIN No top inlays, side dots only
STJF Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets
F20 20" fretboard radius (standard)
-41 H22T bridge pickup (standard)
-400 Black pickup (standard)
-BC Black hardware (standard)
UCS Use customer's strings
GL Gold Plated Carvin Logo

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Ted, thanks for posting those gorgeous outside shots!! Your guitar really glows with that beautiful burst finish. I love the grain of the top wood, I'm assuming that's the white birch top? It kind of looks like maple to me. Reminds me of the grain on the wings of my maple DC800. The back of the neck looks great with the burst finish as well! Very cool guitar. Looking forward to seeing your "neon" HH model someday! :D

I'll check out the deal with that lock plate; pretty much have left the guitar as it was from the factory with the exception of a slight truss rod adjustment and lowering the action to ridiculous levels. I really love how you can set the individual string heights on the XS trem. Matched with the lever to change it to a fixed bridge, the XS trem is very innovative. I really like it and I'm even getting used to the tighter spring tension (you can change the settings, but I'm really liking the responsiveness I get from it being set rather tight).

That's really cool about then scents you work with too. Sounds very scientific and an interesting process I imagine. I would love to see you develop that "New Carvin Smell" scent. I think you could probably sell a lot of it on here; especially with people wanting to add a drop or two to their old Carvin cases to give them that "fresh from the factory" feel.
Last edited by LabyrinthShredder on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INCREATE

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs