Headless Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bd

re: Headless Club

Postby bd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:09 am

wow! very nice, Patriclese. Did/could you post the specs anywhere?

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Are those the new Holdsworth pick ups? I am kind of curious about the differences between the newer versus the older pick ups; I have the older version in my HH2X, and I like them very much.

Patriclese

Re: re: Headless Club

Postby Patriclese » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:13 am

bd wrote:wow! very nice, Patriclese. Did/could you post the specs anywhere?

Thanks! These are the specifications:

- XS Tremolo
- Maple neck/alder body
- White birch top
- Satin matte finish
- Surf green
- Matching neck
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Dot inlays
- Luminlay super blue side dots
- Stainless jumbo frets
- Kiesel Lithium pickups
- Push/pull tone control coil splitter
- Black pickups
- .009 gauge strings
- White Kiesel logo
- Dome knobs

marzzz wrote:Are those the new Holdsworth pick ups? I am kind of curious about the differences between the newer versus the older pick ups; I have the older version in my HH2X, and I like them very much.

I'm curious about that too, however these are the Lithiums. I like them quite a bit so far, although I have more experimentation to do.

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:06 pm

So I tried every way I could think of to place the GK3 pickup on this guitar, but I couldn't find any place that was practical or comfortable. I wanted something completely reversible, too. So an internal installation was not a consideration.

I ended up drilling a hole in the pickup casing and installing it over the tone pot. I used a 9/16 bit being very careful not to ruin the pickup cable. That's a standard 1/4 washer attached to the guitar with some stick on foam protectors. I'm using a Well nut to go over the tone pot. It's just rubber but it makes a tight fit. It has threads in the top opening so I'll put a small bolt for easier access. Also, I cut the stock GK bracket that attaches the pickup to the strap button because it's too long.

The design could be improved upon a bit. The pickup is stable, but a larger surface that would take more Velcro would probably be good for a gigging musician, although I had the cable hanging straight down while testing with no issues.

I ordered the custom anodized aluminum pickup rings from Dave at fretsonthenet.com

I had never done any business with him before but he was excellent to deal with and he did a great job with the custom pickup rings. I ordered a second Carvin ring in case I go back to stock. It took about four weeks after the final design approval and well worth the wait. Nice visual upgrade, too.

All I need to do now is fine tune the GK adjustments. The string spacing on the XTrem is such that the low and high E strings are just inside the edge of the respective pickup.

Hopefully this will help out anyone else who wants to try the mod.

Last edited by johnnyninja on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:30 am

Very cool solution Johnny, well done. Neat engineering of the bridge pickup ring.

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:51 am

Thanks. I'll refine it as time goes on but at least it's out of the way.

Patriclese

Postby Patriclese » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:54 am

johnnyninja wrote:

Wow, this is awesome. I wonder if you have enough slack to wrap the cord around the lower strap button.

How can one go about ordering those rings?

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Not enough slack to reach the strap button but a simple rubber band or hook could be used. The rings can be ordered at fretsonthenet.com. Dave should still have the measurements I gave him for mine.

derrylgabel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby derrylgabel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:07 pm

Here's me trying to play the Allan Holdsworth tune "Home" from Metal Fatigue. My Vader has the Holdsworth Kiesel Bridge pickup, the Lithium Neck Pickup, and the XS JCustom v2 Tremolo.
https://youtu.be/rOfEgAAu_cM
Last edited by derrylgabel on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 pm

Brilliant! So cool to see all the Allan chord shapes. Really well done and the tone is dead on :applause:

derrylgabel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby derrylgabel » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:09 am

Hey guys, I was having a small issue with my trem arm on my JCustom Trem becoming just loose enough to be annoying even though I would tighten it down. Today I tried something that I didn't think would work but figured I would do it anyway. I put some teflon tape on the trem arm screw that attaches and tightens the arm. This worked! Now my trem arm is tight enough that there is no "wiggle" room yet it's just loose enough to where you can move it out of the way when not in use with ease. Try it out if you are having this issue.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:00 am

Sounds like you filled the gap the way plumbing tape is used to do the same thing. I know some people with other screw in arms use springs down in the hole before dropping the arm in and screwing it it, so it is always under a state of tension and unable to wiggle (at least not as easily).

Wilkies I guess are notorious for this. Had a light touch of that on my old Strat vintage trem, I've not had that problem thankfully with my Kahler pro. But I also don't use it a huge amount.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Jbird
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jbird » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:27 pm

I've actually been thinking about joining the headless club for some time now (I own a USA musicyo Steinberger GM4S).

Ever since I bought that Steinberger in 2003 I've wanted one with a maple f/b.

What are you guy's take on the HH2 vs. Vader 6? Pros & cons compared to one another?

derrylgabel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby derrylgabel » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Jbird wrote:I've actually been thinking about joining the headless club for some time now (I own a USA musicyo Steinberger GM4S).

Ever since I bought that Steinberger in 2003 I've wanted one with a maple f/b.

What are you guy's take on the HH2 vs. Vader 6? Pros & cons compared to one another?

I prefer the Vader 6 because of the ergonomics and the body style. I just wish they offered a tremolo which I think they probably will in the future. As you can see I had a JCustom trem installed on mine and I really dig it.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:14 pm

Jbird wrote:What are you guy's take on the HH2 vs. Vader 6? Pros & cons compared to one another?

For me, the HH is just a killer guitar. So much so that I have a third coming in a few weeks. The playability is incredible, it is very light, and very comfortable. I love the organic shape of it and it reminds me in some ways of Roger Dean's art. I love the touch sensitivity and sound that the hollow body gives. The neck is beefy and the flat radius is the best I have ever played. I have not played a Vader yet, but I struggle with the aesthetics of the extreme forearm cut and don't like seeing a good top get cut off where sometimes the transition from one wood clashes with another. It works on some guitars. However, I'm sure it is very comfortable. I have grown very accustomed to the smaller body of the HH and anything else feels huge to me now. I sold all my other guitars in fact and the HH is The One for me. If Kiesel discontinued the Holdsworth HH, I'd be really pissed, but after I got over it after much swearing and yelling, I would default to a Vader as a second choice.

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:49 pm

So I am thinking of getting another HH2X, with the new Holdsworth pickups but otherwise fairly standard. I am considering a flame maple top, and was kinda liking the Deep Yellow Flame (sorta like Colossal's), but - what about Deep Teal Flame? My current HH2X is Candy Red Metallic (with the original Holdsworth PUs).

[img]http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargallery/images/full/dc700h-fel-dts-rnc-ash-fph-7sh-stjf-r20[nin-tn-5mw-sl-bl-bc-726-124166-gallery.jpg[/img]

Patriclese

Postby Patriclese » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:59 am

I've since taken the Lithiums out of my HH2X (wasn't a fan), and put in two pink DiMarzios - Mo' Joe in the bridge, PAF Joe in the neck. Guitar has improved in sound tenfold!

I'll get around to doing a proper video demonstration in time.

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Hey Guys, I need some help diagnosing a ground problem. I'm pretty sure it's the lousy ground contact that the XS trem provides (All it is is a wire that the trem sits on). I'm getting really bad noise when I'm using high gain sounds. I've tested continuity between the ground points in the electronics cavity successfully, and my multimeter also reads zero from the volume and tone knobs to the jack.

What I don't get is a good connection from the strings to the jack. I'm registering about 20 on my multimeter. The bridge itself hardly even registers. If someone has a multimeter, please test the connection between the strings and the jack. I'm curious if it's just my guitar or if others register the similar values.

Thanks

Edit: Deleted what I had previously written. I think the problem is with my condo's power. The strong buzzing that comes through even when grounding the strings comes and goes. I doubt it's the guitar at this point. I wonder if a power conditioner would help my situation?

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:08 am

I finally finished the project. I had Dave from fretsonthenet.com make me a tone knob that would work with the setup. I put a felt bumper under the controller to stabilize it, and it's very solid now. All I need to do is make a shorter cable.

I'm on the fence whether I'm going to keep this long term or not. It depends on Boss this Winter, but I can say that it's completely out of the way and doesn't affect playing at all.

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:01 pm

Still haven't ordered a new HH2X, but in the meantime I have sold off nearly everything else I own and I am down to just this:

I have been soooo happy with my HH2X and the Kemper, I really haven't needed anything else! But I am still intrigued with the new Kiesel HH2X and Holdsworth pickups, that teal guitar will get ordered eventually...

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs