Headless Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

guanaeps

Re: Headless Club

Postby guanaeps » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 am

Hey guys, Here's my ZM6:

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 am

alder/birch HH1X & mahogany/spruce HH2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 alder/birch HH1X w/KH12B pickup
2018 mahogany/spruce HH1 w/KH12B pickup
https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut

JCG
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby JCG » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:16 am

DSCN2918.JPG
DSCN2912.JPG
DSCN2914.JPG
before & after.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DWG » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Very nice Zeus Mr. Gamrat. You've now given yourself permission to collect the rest of the headless models. :applause:

DWG

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Permission to come aboard.

38938786_2163259440624013_5359097803530305536_n.jpg

Alcathous

Postby Alcathous » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:58 pm

I like the look of that spalted top JCG. Good thinking and imagining on how it looks, especially with he black edges. I also considered how that would look when I ordered me Zeus, because of how the bevel works.

Instead I ordered this:

kwywai08

Postby kwywai08 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 am

It's a VM7
Is that normal? Thank you!

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am

I don't know, but I can't imagine it getting past final inspection like that!
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Whoops - somebody went a little overboard while sanding the neck. While it won't hurt anything, I'd still give Kiesel a call to see if they'd cover the cost of having the head plate machined down to match the neck profile and then re-finished.

I wouldn't call that normal, but as each instrument is at least 50% hand-made, there will definitely be variation from guitar to guitar.

PJCruz
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby PJCruz » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:01 pm

I'll be joining this club in the near future. I just purchased from the GiS a Becker Numbers Osiris. Tracking info indicates it should arrive Tuesday!!! Pics to follow... =)

Antag
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Antag » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:58 am

Can't remember whether I posted earlier in this thread, but just took a picture of both my Vaders together, so here it is:

Both V7s with 270, R14, STJF, IKSD, Tone delete (although the volumes are positioned slightly differently)
#1: Alder/5MH, CS/R/BGB/DSLB, MF/IAB
#2: Wal/MT/CMB/5HW, CS/BR/RNC/DSLS, BMF/IA, KHN
V7_1+2_rbr.jpg

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:03 pm

ChrisN wrote:alder/birch HH1X & mahogany/spruce HH2

Better late than never, eh? What a great picture!

I hope to join the club soon, and a mahogany/spruce combo is on the top of my list. Did you get a mahogany neck too, and is that an ebony fingerboard I see? I'd love to get your take on the tone, particularly for a guy who is pretty much stuck in the jazz/R&B genre.

Also, if I go with that wood combo, I will do exactly what you did and get a natural finish - looks like matte satin, no?

Srini

JCG
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby JCG » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 am

DSCN3172.JPG
DSCN3173.JPG

JCG
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby JCG » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 am

DSCN3310 (2).JPG

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm really liking both of those zeus - the green quilt and the two toned lavender.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:29 am

Srini wrote:
ChrisN wrote:alder/birch HH1X & mahogany/spruce HH1

Better late than never, eh? What a great picture!

I hope to join the club soon, and a mahogany/spruce combo is on the top of my list. Did you get a mahogany neck too, and is that an ebony fingerboard I see? I'd love to get your take on the tone, particularly for a guy who is pretty much stuck in the jazz/R&B genre.
Also, if I go with that wood combo, I will do exactly what you did and get a natural finish - looks like matte satin, no?
Srini

I got a five-piece all maple neck with an ebony board to accompany the mahogany/spruce chambered body.
As for the tone,feel free to visit my souncloud page at https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut - there are two pieces you can hear my hog/spruce HH in: Evocation was cut with a stock HH wiring on board while Autumn Tale was recorded after carrying out a 250k pot mod. Except for a guest soloist performing the 1st guitar lead part on Autumn, all the tones in the two tunes come from my mahogany/spruce HH1.

I went for a gloss coating. Judging from your genre preferences, the wood combo should work just fine for you.

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:19 am

Very, very nice pieces. You've got the Holdsworth thing down pat for sure, and your tone reflects that too. My configuration will likely be a little different from yours, in that I'll get a mahogany neck and rosewood board, in addition to the chambered mahogany/spruce body like you - not to mention a neck pickup as well. I mainly use the neck pickup, and hopefully the spruce won't preclude my getting a nice warm tone, since I mostly go for a Larry Carlton / Lee Ritenour sound. Did the 250k mod warm things up a bit?

The gloss looks beautiful, although I'm partial to satin myself. One question I've been meaning to ask - does the neck profile have much of a shoulder? Would you recommend getting a thicker neck? I'm used to fatback necks (1" depth), although they're only comfortable with a nice even C carve.

Thanks for the information, and the wonderful music!

Srini

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 am

Srini wrote:Very, very nice pieces.Srini

Much appreciated, thank you!

Srini wrote:My configuration will likely be a little different from yours, in that I'll get a mahogany neck and rosewood board, in addition to the chambered mahogany/spruce body like you - not to mention a neck pickup as well. I mainly use the neck pickup, and hopefully the spruce won't preclude my getting a nice warm tone, since I mostly go for a Larry Carlton / Lee Ritenour sound. Did the 250k mod warm things up a bit?

The mod basically tames the 5-6kHz range bridge pickup frequency boost. With the tone rolled down to off, I can get some nice jazz guitar comping tones just from the bridge pickup. Still, I use the guitar for its genuine acoustic-like string attack, and for chordal movements I usually run it in double stereo mixing acoustic-like tones with mellow sounds.
What I can assure you about the wood combo in my HH1is that it makes the thing pretty darn fast in notes response. Also, it sounds brighter then my alder/birch HH1X. I think going for mahogany neck with rosewood board would be a right track for your tonal taste.

Srini wrote:The gloss looks beautiful, although I'm partial to satin myself.

My alder/birch HH1X is satin, as I wanted a thinner finish on the mellow-sounding guitar.

Srini wrote:One question I've been meaning to ask - does the neck profile have much of a shoulder? Would you recommend getting a thicker neck? I'm used to fatback necks (1" depth), although they're only comfortable with a nice even C carve.

Personally, I find a regular HH neck fat enough for my taste. I use classical guitar left hand positioning throughout the neck and it feels extremely comfortable to play it that way. Bear in mind the chambered HH body weighs virtually nothing, so going for thicker neck would affect the guitar's balance.

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Srini » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:42 am

Thank you so much for the detailed response! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

The mod basically tames the 5-6kHz range bridge pickup frequency boost. With the tone rolled down to off, I can get some nice jazz guitar comping tones just from the bridge pickup. Still, I use the guitar for its genuine acoustic-like string attack, and for chordal movements I usually run it in double stereo mixing acoustic-like tones with mellow sounds.
What I can assure you about the wood combo in my HH1 is that it makes the thing pretty darn fast in notes response. Also, it sounds brighter then my alder/birch HH1X. I think going for mahogany neck with rosewood board would be a right track for your tonal taste.

I have a couple of options, pickups-wise. I'm really not familiar with Kiesel pickups at all, except from YouTube demos, but I do know that as much I love and admire Holdworth's playing, his tone is definitely not what I'm going for. After years of experimenting, I found a set of humbuckers that is essentially my tone, so I'm seriously considering just getting the Holdsworth pickups or the Berylliums, and just swapping in these HighOrder humbuckers from another guitar - which is a cheapo travel axe and doesn't deserve the HIghOrders!

These are very, very PAF sounding, hand scatter wound things that, to my ears anyway, sound even nicer than Lollars at a fraction of the cost. Anyway, long story short, if I did that, based on your description of the wood combo, I'm wondering now if I should go with a mahogany top, and maybe add a touch of zing with an ebony fingerboard - and get my luthier to use 250K pots when he swaps in the HOs.

Personally, I find a regular HH neck fat enough for my taste. I use classical guitar left hand positioning throughout the neck and it feels extremely comfortable to play it that way. Bear in mind the chambered HH body weighs virtually nothing, so going for thicker neck would affect the guitar's balance.

You make a good point about the neck affecting the balance. I imagine that the regular Holdsworth neck will work just fine, considering it is already fatter than regular Kiesel necks, right? Do you find it closer to a D profile than a C? I sure hope not!

Also, do you think there's enough room in the control cavity for, say, another mini toggle for series/split/parallel switching? If not, there may be another way to skin this cat using two push/pulls. With both down, they're regular series humbuckers, with one of them up, they're series and with other up, they're split. I guess the trick would be to get one pull to over-ride the other pull. A second switch would be easiest.

Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input. I sometimes wonder if I should just do what Carl Verheyen says - get over it!

Srini

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:08 am

While full of awesome guitars, this thread is dangerously short on Osiris content.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs