10,000 Post Club: No polls, I promise. :)

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

10,000 Post Club: No polls, I promise. :)

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:18 pm

I expect there to not be a whole lot of traffic in this club for some time.

:laughhard:

This has been a fantastic place to spend time over the years, and the whole reason is the people. From newbies who pop in with a question and get knowledgeable welcoming advice, to seasoned Carvinites who have been through multiple versions of the forums and lived to tell the tales (I've only heard stories about the "old days" of the "Wild West"), to the moderators, all of the work that Kevio has put into the forum, to Mike, Chris, and Advir...all top-notch folks who had important hands in making this forum the wonderful place that it is. I've seen some incredible acts of generosity, and a definite sense of community.

Hats off to y'all!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

While I don't really think this needs to be a real "club", I thought I would use the opportunity to bring up a couple of suggestions that I feel could go a long way in the functionality of the forum, and product offering. Forgive me while I take this unique occasion to say a few words with the hopes of offering suggestions that I feel like would enhance the already great Carvin experience. :)

- There needs to be some way to make the text window behave more like Word, or most of the other forums I've frequented. What I mean is, when I put my cursor somewhere, any action I execute should happen right there. If I click "bold", the bold text should start out where my cursor is...not at the end of the post. This would be the same with the image embedder and uploader, the URL link maker, the emoticons, etc.

- I wish there was a way to keep threads with "new" posts in some sort of list until I go visit them. There are times when there are a bunch of threads that are new, but when I go back to the "new posts" windows, they have all been cleared and I have to go back into each forum section individually and look for new threads I don't remember reading. Perhaps this already exists and I'm just not aware of the link. :think:

- I like pages like imgur where, when writing a post, it tells you how many characters you have left until you reach the limit...or at least, stop letting you enter text after you've reached the character limit. This would be for threat titles, poll titles, and poll options.

Now, in terms of the product; what is there to say? A top notch product at a good price in a very reasonable timeframe for a semi-custom product. Here are a couple thought that have all been brought up before, but I feel like they are important enough to get one more mention.

- for a semi custom shop, it surprises me to no end that certain pickup combinations are not available on certain models. While I understand the limits that the carved-top set necks have inherent in their construction, it makes zero sense to me why the SCB isn't available with SSS, or the CT can't be had with HSH, or why more models can't get the A60s, etc etc. I mean...they already spent the money to develop the new active pickups, and Carvin really started out as a pickup maker first...so it seems so strange that they wouldn't want to offer every opportunity for all of their pickups.

- I would LOVE to see some temporary "limited time only" options. Custom colors, custom one-off woods, etc. "Limited release offer for the month of October: Metallic Orange." Or "we have 10 guitars' worth of rosewood necks." This could not only be promotional sales-wise, but could be a great way to try out options that Carvin isn't sure that they want to make as standard options. The biggest opportunity is the easiest: LTO paint colors.

- new products: 24-fret bolt-on, 7-string bolt-on, some way to get more ornate inlays, chrome logo, new preamp for the acoustics with a tuner, and chambering options on all models with top woods. I also miss the option to have the visible neck-through on guitars with tops. Other than that, I'm good. :)

- while I wouldn't use it, I can't deny that there looks to be a signification portion of the online customer base that demand their favorite non-carvin pickups, especially in a guitar billed as "custom." I work with furniture manufactures who all work with "COM", or Customer's Own Materials. You order your own fabric, ship it to the factory tagged with your order number, and they use it to build the furniture. They do it all day every day, it's easy, and it's just an assumed part of building custom made-to order upholstered furniture. I think there would be a great opportunity to get a real organized system in place with after-market pickups.

-lastly: QC. I know we only see a small portion of the total NGDs here, and admittedly some people will ONLY post about bad experiences, there have been a few QC issues with guitars not being made to the exact specifications of the customer. From an observer's view, it seems like it's happened more in recent months...and that's all I'm going to say about that, other than: even more important than offering new products is making the ones you offer, correctly! The issues seem to be less about build quality (which is awesome) but more about specification mix-ups. Logos, headstock shapes and finishes, inlays, etc

Note: these are all just the opinions (and that's all they are) of an outsider with absolutely ZERO insight into the real world of Carvin's operations, their own market research, or the actual capabilities of what they can do.

Well it's getting late...time for bed, me thinks. Have a great night everyone That's all, folks!

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: 10,000 Post Club: No polls, I promise. :)

Postby MikeBass » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:20 am

While i haven't hit the 10k mark, I have been on here over 10 years (this year).
For those of you questioning the math of 2007+10=2014? in the info below my avatar, the forum was moved/restarted a couple times before this latest '07 version.

I've always enjoyed posting here and I plan on doing so for the foreseeable future, even as "the times" change and I feel like an old-timer, being not quite 28.

I remember the harlequin finish, the old color/top selector tool and GuitarCraq 8)

Cheers to quality over quantity :rockon:
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 am

+1
:wink:
I dont know what I'm +1'ing to, ... but I gotta catch up somehow. :D
(Now just 7 or 8 K more of these ...)
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 am

Man that's going to be a lonely club :lol:

At this rate I can also start the "25+ weeks build time club" and I'll have my own exclusive place to be :lol:

On topic there's a couple of things I'd be interested in from what you listed. More combination options (hsh with piezo comes to mind) , more unique woods (on both, they are adding new stuff though)...and the wish for a 24-fret bolt on :P
Won't complain too much though. Carvin remains one of the best if not the best around in my opinion.

Same for this very forum, truly one of the nicest boards around thanks to people like you spud.

but no more polls please... Or a bit less next time :mrgreen: :oops:

Kidding, it was awesome of you to put that together.

OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby OotMagroot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Hm, let's see how many posts I have.....

GAWD, that's all!?!?!? Less than 1800 at the time of this writing.....SIGH.....

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Y'all must be spending WAAAAAY too much time playing your gear, rather than posting about it.

Delta362
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Delta362 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Great suggestions, Spud! You are in elite company with your posts. The only ones I recall having eclipsed the 10k mark were Stone and possibly Brasch, but that was several previous versions of the bbs. I've been a member since 2001. Good times...Good times...
YITB

dc400dragonburst
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: 10,000 Post Club: No polls, I promise. :)

Postby dc400dragonburst » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:02 am

spudmunkey wrote:Y'all must be spending WAAAAAY too much time playing your gear, rather than posting about it.

Guitars:
2012 DC400M w/ m22sd m22n
1997 Ibanez RG570 fgr
2011 LTD H1001 Deluxe w/ c22b,c22j

Amps:
2005 Koch Multi-tone w/ Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
2008 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier w/ Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab

FlyingV
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby FlyingV » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:24 am

There are times when I feel like I post too much and times when I don't post or visit at all pretty much, middle of real estate deals and the remodels that follow usually. I am sure a lot of people wish I bought more real estate :laughhard:

I do remember when you joined Spud. I was thinking, man this guy has a lot to say, 1300+ posts the first month or so :P Between you and Appy I don't think anyone has unselfishly spent more time doing for others than the two of you :applause:

My hopes for Carvin in the future are pretty varied and as said if ya don't work there things may not always seem to make sense from our bleacher seats. That being said I have what seems like "little" things to me [see prior sentence :)] and a couple, well really pretty much one big thing [literally ha].

1. Carvin Hard Cases -
This is my latest observation. I am sure Carvin gets a smokin' deal on their hard cases. However their "one size fits all" nature has me concerned enough about damaging the awesome Carvin guitars within enough that I am buying new aftermarket cases for my Carvins.

The current cases, imho, make extremely poor use of space that could be used for storage and the headstocks on my DC7X's I am sure would eventually be damaged in the current stock cases. Even after removing the stock Dunlop Strap Lock posts the headstock is still jammed right in to the edge of the case. It also fits poorly elsewhere in the case and I can hear and feel it shifting around inside. Not good really. I'll post a pic of what I am replacing the stock cases with later today or so. I would gladly pay an upcharge for a better fitment of the guitas in the hard cases and better use of space for storage.

2. Easy accessories at build time -

I do understand how this could potentially cause issues with returned guitars. However I think those returns are few and given the option would actually not present a problem for Carvin vs the profits and popularity. For example I would love to see these as options at build time and would gladly pay a reasonable upcharge to get them at build time.

a. Treml-No installed at build time.
b. Flush Mount Strap Locks.

c. Alternate choices of string manufactures at build time. CircleK/Kalium, EB or D'Addario would be great! I don't care for coated any strings and chop off the Elixars within moments of receiving my guitars from Carvin. I use the CirlceK/Kalium strings as they are 7 string drop tune friendly with available gauges. Bass players may like their choices too.

d. Wood [matching or contrast] Metal or painted control covers. The industry standard black plastic is an eyesore on many builds. Nuff said.

Not so easy at first options, but they have long term profit potential -

a. Baritone scale option
On at least a few 6, 7 and 8 string body configurations. 27" works well and is more popular than ever. Love to see it available on several body styles i.e. Ultra V, X220, CS, TL and a Semi-Hollow and Acoustic-Electric.

b. Scallop board option [half/full]. An op50 for sure but offer it and I bet Carvin sells way more than they though they would.

c. Additional Seven String and 27" scale body styles. I am "Super Strat" done and will not order any more Super Strats. Carvin needs a couple pointy 7's for sure.

d. Carvin ISO Cab. I can't believe Carvin does not already offer one???

e. Carvin package deal on Pro Audio for people using the Axe Fx and other modelers. Something like a pair of TRx12N's, a DCMLx2004 Power amp and the cables. A Sub option for the same package might be nice as well.

Thats enough for now ha... I must say Carvin has been really stepping up their game and I sincerely thank them for finally giving us a 27" scale seven string at all.

I would also like to thank Carvin for allowing customers [under certain conditions] to provide wood to Carvin for their builds. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
[2] DC7X 27", Loomis 26.5", S7G 27.5", Walden CE550, Ibanez 7 nylon string.
My Kiesel wish list - All 7 strings. All 27" scale option.
New symmetrical V7X, X227X, TL7X, C77X Bolt [smooth heel]
Semi-Hollow CT7. Head or Headless [CODA's photoshop]

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 am

Less than 700 posts to go... :mrgreen:
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

gpbarnett
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby gpbarnett » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 am

FlyingV wrote:d. Wood [matching or contrast] Metal or painted control covers. The industry standard black plastic is an eyesore on many builds. Nuff said.

Not so easy at first options, but they have long term profit potential -

a. Baritone scale option
On at least a few 6, 7 and 8 string body configurations. 27" works well and is more popular than ever. Love to see it available on several body styles i.e. Ultra V, X220, CS, TL and a Semi-Hollow and Acoustic-Electric.

b. Scallop board option [half/full]. An op50 for sure but offer it and I bet Carvin sells way more than they though they would.

c. Additional Seven String and 27" scale body styles. I am "Super Strat" done and will not order any more Super Strats. Carvin needs a couple pointy 7's for sure.

Control covers - I'd be willing to pay an upcharge for that. I think metal would be the way to go - offer a choice of brass, copper, steel, aluminum, titanium, etc.

I'd love a 6 string baritone in a scale anywhere between 26.5 and 30. I'm OK with superstrat, but would love to have more options.

Where I really think Carvin is missing a huge opportunity is a larger choice in scales (I'll buy at least one the first day they offer a JB or Xcellerator in any scale between 30 and 32), as well as not having any multiscale instruments (I'd love a 32-34.25 5 string bass). Rondo/Agile seems to have the biggest share of the multiscale market, and while very nice, they aren't as nice as Carvins, and don't have the range of options that Carvin has. Most of the other multiscale makers are high end one off custom shops. Carvin could make a killing in the $1000-$2000 price range.

After some time with my scalloped Warmoth - it isn't a must have option for me, but if it were available I'd go for it every time I buy a fretted instrument.

And - 10K posts! Anyone have a favorite/memorable post out of those that should be mentioned?

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Wow, maybe I can join this club in about 15 years… :shock:

Anyway, I like your suggestions, spud. The only thing I ask for is a TLB60 Plus, with SSS. Pretty please?!? :D
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:49 pm

gpbarnett wrote:And - 10K posts! Anyone have a favorite/memorable post out of those that should be mentioned?

I'm particularly fond of this one:
spudmunkey wrote: :)

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:52 pm

:laughhard: :laughhard:
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

CarvinKook
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby CarvinKook » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:15 am

Yes Spud, I must commend you on all that you have and continue to offer this forum. I've asked for your help on research items and you helped even though there truly wasn't a direct answer, the attempt was made and appreciated. Thank you sir for your time and insight.
Weapons of Choice:
83 DC 200K w/kahler - Emg 81/60
86 DC 200 Deep Pearl Blue - Emg 81/85
8* DC 200 White
8* DC 200 Black w/kahler
DC 727 - Flamed Koa
2012 Cobalt C770T

mgood

Postby mgood » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:49 am

Delta362 wrote:Great suggestions, Spud! You are in elite company with your posts. The only ones I recall having eclipsed the 10k mark were Stone and possibly Brasch, but that was several previous versions of the bbs. I've been a member since 2001. Good times...Good times...

I too joined in 2001. I'm pretty sure that if we could add up all my posts from the several incarnations of the Carvin BBS, I'm well over 10K.
C66, MAH, FTG4, RNC, RIN, FPH4, BMF, NIN, STF, R12, 407, G, GL, SL
B40, 5MW, QSR, DTS, QPH, V, 50, BMF, NIN, STF, R14, SL, GL, BC
B40F, QTB, DTS, QPH, V, R14, H5A, AC, MBS, MVB, SL, WL

OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby OotMagroot » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:01 am

I can distinctly remember perusing the BBS in 2003 at one of my prior jobs. So maybe I would have 10K by now too!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:55 am

ElfDude wrote:Less than 700 posts to go... :mrgreen:

If you count the museum, you're past me by about 3,500. :)

Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Appollyon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Considering I've been here only 2 1/2 years, I'm doing pretty well..... :P
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Yup! You've got over 4.8 posts per day...I'm around 4.17.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs