Music Cave Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Music Cave Club

Postby Coda » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:23 am

Music Caves - Show 'em if you've got 'em!

They don't have to be subterranean – all guitar walls and practice areas are welcome, too.

Here's my winter project. I have acquired a lot of gear over the years, but never took the time to hook it all together and make the most of it until a month ago.

The only thing I bought new was the USB interface. Everything now turns on with just 3 switches, except for the computer (which was also recycled/rebuilt for music production).

I've been having lots of fun. The drum kit provides a surprising amount of cardio exercise.

For extra credit: Post a practice tip when you show your own music cave…

Here's mine. Record yourself with and without a click track and listen to the difference on playback. I couldn't believe how off my timing was – I always thought rhythm was a strength. Hearing myself was a harsh reality – but now I'm paying more attention and getting better.
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: Music Cave Club

Postby X-Mann » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Nice guitar room/studio Coda & very cool thread too!

A++ bro!

X

Levelhead
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Levelhead » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Things have moved around a lot since I last took some pics, but here's a shot from last year:

Practice tip: let me think about that....
CT424C, CT74C, Bolt C, HH2, B5, IC5W, V3MC, MB10
Soundcloud.com/the-great-funzo Soundcloud.com/mattowax

ferret
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby ferret » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:11 pm

I wish, but I'm not nearly skilled enough or with an available room to make a cave worthwhile. Kids took all my bedrooms!

NickCormier
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby NickCormier » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:48 pm

haha I live in a small "1 bedroom + 1 den" basement apartment, and obviously the logical thing to do, was make the "den" my sleeping area (basically bed+tv) and the actual bedroom into a music room. It's super messy so I doubt I'll take pictures, but it has a shelf with tons of random guitar parts, a rack of 7 guitar cases, a workbench/area for whatever guitar I'm working on/playing currently that week and my dual-monitor recording PC. What more could a young single guy ask for eh haha who needs a huge bed/windows in their bedroom!
I'd appreciate anyone to check out my website: www.NickCormier.com
For all lessons and gear needs, check out www.stringedtheory.com

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:58 am

:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

I'm thoroughly amused at the range of responses so far. And I spent many, many years in tiny two room apartments - talk about having to get creative with space! I think part of the magic of guitar or bass guitar is that you don't need a lot of space to play.

So lets see those places and spaces!

jsdratm

Postby jsdratm » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:22 am

Here is my music cave/office in my apartment:

Pictures

Right now I have the two Schecters, but my Carvin bass should arrive later this month! :)

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby X-Mann » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:26 am

I love seeing all the Guitar Dojo's up above & "Thanks" for sharing a small view into your World boyz! 8)

Here's a quick journey through (my) Space! :wink:

Studio-X (Aka The Mann Cave) :mrgreen:

I'm VERY lucky to have my own dedicated "Mann Cave/Guitar Dojo/Studio" space where I can write, practice & record. I've got a fully stocked mini-fridge w/ Coke Zero & Dirty Blonde Beers in it too.

I'm just finishing my 1st track in this new space & I think that it's got an over-all Superhero/Guitar Hero vibe to it too. :laughhard:

If any of you guys ever make it out to Detroit (aka Shelby Twp) & you want to record give me a call. Oh & I'll have 3-Killer Carvins to choose from soon too! :shh:

X
Last edited by X-Mann on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Music Cave Club

Postby X-Mann » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 am

Levelhead wrote:Things have moved around a lot since I last took some pics, but here's a shot from last year:

Practice tip: let me think about that....

Ok...Questions:

1) Is that Spock in the lower left corner of your room?
2) Please explain the Ragtag Rebels Drum Head/Story too!
3) It looks like you've got over 10-guitar cases here, so how many of them are from Carvin's?

Great Space!

X

Squonk

Postby Squonk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:39 am

Coda, first off - sweet man cave :) how is that electronic drum kit working out for you? Right now I'm using an alesis performance pad (kind of like an all-in-one drum kit with 8 pads on a single frame) but I find that when I go to record either the midi out or the audio I get a ton of dropped notes. In your experience, does having the separate pads increase note definition/accuracy? Thanks :mrgreen:

Bredo
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Bredo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:39 am

I can count 1 Carvin Bass case + 7 Carvin Guitar cases @Levelhead's :mrgreen:
Carvin Guitars 1996-2016: DC127T - SC90S - DC135M - BOLT HSS - TL60 - BOLT HSS - DC600 - DC127M - PB4 - SC90M - DC135 - BOLT-C - DC127M - DC145C - CS624 - DC127M - DC600H - SC90 Last Run Ed - Bolt Plus Last Run - CS324 20th Ann
Carvin Amps: VL100/VL412C - 2 X100Bs - V3M/212V - MTS 3200

MetalMania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MetalMania » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:40 am

Nice spaces guys. I have a guitar/computer room but right now it's a kitchen. The previous owner of my home built a new kitchen/dining room area on the main floor, the original kitchen is actually part of the basement (I know, kinda unusual). My intention is to remodel the space but there are other more important house projects in line ahead of it. So it'll probably be at least a few more years until we get to it.

Squonk

Postby Squonk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:03 am

MetalMania wrote:Nice spaces guys. I have a guitar/computer room but right now it's a kitchen. The previous owner of my home built a new kitchen/dining room area on the main floor, the original kitchen is actually part of the basement (I know, kinda unusual). My intention is to remodel the space but there are other more important house projects in line ahead of it. So it'll probably be at least a few more years until we get to it.

Well now you can cook up some sweet jams, right? :)

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 am

^^ :laughhard:

I guess part of the fun of having a music cave is how it came to be. (Or not to be.) :D

Cool caves, guys, er, I mean everyone... Ugh, I'm trying to keep things gender neutral and not say "guys" or "man cave." Maybe some of our female BBS friends can step up and show us 'cave men' what a ladies touch looks like. :idea:

Squonk wrote:Coda, first off - sweet man cave :) how is that electronic drum kit working out for you? Right now I'm using an alesis performance pad (kind of like an all-in-one drum kit with 8 pads on a single frame) but I find that when I go to record either the midi out or the audio I get a ton of dropped notes. In your experience, does having the separate pads increase note definition/accuracy? Thanks :mrgreen:

Thanks Squonk! I like the Roland V-Drums and TD-6 module very much. I've just started recording (using midi) with it, and I haven't noticed any dropped data. My set is pretty old and was their entry level offering at the time I got it. I know there's better, more responsive pads available, but bang-for-the-buck this has been a great investment. I've played some pad-type drums, but I really prefer the physical aspect of playing a kit-sized set. It does gobble up floor space, though, so I can see why the performance pads have their advantages.

Koaboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Koaboy » Tue May 03, 2016 6:48 pm

i could afford paneling if I stop the Carvin purchases

some ADA gear mixed in, sorry, it's wired up : )

Ultra V Spalt 2014
CS624 gold top 2013
DC200 Koa 2004
Cobalt 980T 2004
DC125 1991
V220T 1985
SH225 White 1986
LB40 Koa 1983
DC160 1979
CM96 1976
Lots of Amps & Accs

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Wed May 04, 2016 5:58 am

Kool space Koaboy! :applause: :applause: :applause:

I forgot about this thread so thanks for rekindling it.

I love the "flying V" in your photo!

Wishing you the means to have paneling AND more gear! :twisted:

voodoo_Jef
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby voodoo_Jef » Wed May 04, 2016 9:38 am

Given that I have the house mostly to myself (I share it with my ten year old son, who also plays guitar and drums), I can do whatever I want. The living room is "command central", and the spare room in the back is where everything is mic`d up:

This was taken about an hour before my DC700 showed up. It lives on the wall to the left of the painting now.
Mega thanks to:
DR Strings
Hipshot Products
Wathen Audiophile Cryotone Tubes
Hughes & Kettner/Yorkville sound

"we are not born with a life full of meaning. It is up to us to give meaning to our lives" - Me.

www.voodoodownmusic.com

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Wed May 04, 2016 10:28 am

Great thread Coda! Some excellent spaces here :applause:

Here's mine:

It's a small room above our garage. So far all we've done to it is install new carpet when we moved into the house about 2-years ago.

What I've been planning is to build a large corner desk to be located where the gig bags currently are, a large white board above and to the left (thanks to X-Man), with my peg board above and to the right. Painting is next, then installing a few guitar hangers on the wall. The remainder of guitar/basses remain safely in their cases unless in use. I hope to begin in a week or two ;)

Practice Tip:
Here is a short blog post I wrote about "My Practice Plan" and it has helped me a bunch! I'm getting ready to start a new practice session, "108 Days of Practice," but that's another story ;)

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Wed May 04, 2016 11:10 am

Excellent posts guys!

@voodoo_Jef - I really like that space. It has a Bohemian creative vibe to it. 8) I think it's awesome that your boy shares your musical interests. :applause:

Love your space, Randy! I pulled down the high-rez photo and had fun looking at the miscellaneous details. Things I found interesting, in no particular order: The Who poster (I'm a fan), the big container of zip ties (essential music cave accessory), the sparkle finish Fender, the Zaza/Becker image juxtaposition and the giant Magic 8-ball. :D

Also, what's the story behind the shamrocks on the guitar cases?

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Wed May 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Coda wrote:...Love your space, Randy! I pulled down the high-rez photo and had fun looking at the miscellaneous details. Things I found interesting, in no particular order: The Who poster (I'm a fan), the big container of zip ties (essential music cave accessory), the sparkle finish Fender, the Zaza/Becker image juxtaposition and the giant Magic 8-ball. :D

Also, what's the story behind the shamrocks on the guitar cases?

Thanks!

I also enjoy seeing what others use in their music rooms beyond instruments ;)

The story behind the shamrocks:
Several years ago my wife came home from the market with a package of those stickers. They sat in the kitchens "junk drawer" until one Sunday afternoon when I got home from an outstanding weekend playing with our church's worship band (1 Sat evening service, 3 Sun serivces). I was looking in the junk drawer for a coupon at our local pizza joint when I came upon those stickers. I thought, "hey-- I'll put one on the case as a reminder of the great time we had." Some weekends go better than others, and some are just way better! As the weeks/months went by, the stickers added up... then we ran out, some fell off, I restocked with others that didn't stick well... then as I transitioned to gig bags over hard cases the shamrock tradition sort of faded out. However, I still keep my eyes open for them when we visit the market during that time of year, and seeing those that still remain stuck to the cases bring back fond memories that make me smile :)

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs