The "I regret selling my Carvin/kiesel" club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

The "I regret selling my Carvin/kiesel" club

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 am

I can't be the only one - sold my CS6 to fund my SH6 - I absolutely love the SH6, and I have a Les Paul for the single-cut love, but good gracious, I miss that CS6. I'd sell the gibby in a heartbeat to have that back, I just don't want to build a new one, because my wife would likely kill me (or at least lovingly question whether that's the best use of my money right now).

*le sigh*
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: The "I regret selling my Carvin/kiesel" club

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 am

I'm sure you have...but have you posted pics of the CS6 when you had it? I did a quick "CS6" search in your posts, and only saw your mention of selling it with your SH6 coming in. :(

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 pm

..or at least describe the build so we can all cry together in quivering harmony.

RE: thread in general: I've sold many things but these two Carvins were obligated to stick thru all the lean times.. if I would have let this unique axe especially go I'd have woken up on many a morn and wept onto the ice pick that I would have been jamming into my eyeball. I'd never be able to replace it. Nearest I could have come is a Travis Bean TB1000K

Almost seven grand.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue May 15, 2018 8:21 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I'm sure you have...but have you posted pics of the CS6 when you had it? I did a quick "CS6" search in your posts, and only saw your mention of selling it with your SH6 coming in. :(

My fault. Here she is (was):

sCufCd1.jpg

cs6front.jpg

cs6back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Fri May 18, 2018 5:41 am

So, the things I liked about it over my LP:
1) It's far prettier
2) The body has roughly the same heft/weight, but is actually thinner by a bit
3) I could keep the G string in tune
4) Stainless frets
5) Diamond inlays give it a certain special something that the mother of toilet seat trapezoids on my paul don't
6) I could keep the G string in tune
7) Locking Tuners
8)Tung oiled neck rather than Gibson gloss
9)I could keep the G string in tune
10) While C22s don't have quite the iconic LP sound that the 490R/498T pair does, they are much more versatile and comfortable with heavier sounds
11) The volute meant I wasn't as concerned about snapping the headstock off
12) The neck heel access is (subjectively) ten times that of a LP
13) Did I mention I could keep the G string in tune?

Yeahhhhhhhh seller's remorse hard.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm

I do have guitar selling regrets, but not my Carvin / Kiesels. (selling my strat plus was STUPID)
That includes rebuilds too.

Sold my 727 - aesthetically unappealing to me, fell out of love with it.
Sent back a DC800 - didn't care for the A80 pups, 27" is not for me.
Sold my DC700 - DTS Black pissed me off by not being black, Black MOP inlays were a bust, fell out of love with it.
Sent back my AM7 - didn't like the finish or pups.
Wound up with my V7 - simply wonderful!
Those other guitars were all just RnD.

The only other potential for-sale candidate is my Bolt Plus - Love the looks (Koa sexiness), but the feel bugs me at times. I think I need to redo the set up (lower the action, maybe change gauges)

The Bolt and SCB6 are lifelong keepers.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat May 19, 2018 5:53 pm

I've let 2 really good Carvins go:

Oddly, this is the one I regret most:

Molly was a straight up rock monster, which is my preferred guitar. After I got the new ST300 and a very nice Strat (since departed), I wasn't playing the old DC150 anymore, so I traded her for an amp (now non-working).

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun May 20, 2018 6:23 am

My Rusty and I can feel your pain, man. Just generally, regardless how one is specced out in terms of body wood, neck wood, bridge, etc... In the general world of Les Paul types, regardless whether single cut out double cut, carved top or slab body flat top, these models from the first part of the eighties back to the late seventies are way up there at the very top of the heap. But for the excellence of these guitars and the slightly later 200 (which was really just the same guitar in a different shape)... Without these, we all would more than likely NOT be sitting here talking on this forum.

In retrospect, Mark delayed the collapse by [insert exact number of years he was with the company following their asking him to come and help in the seventies], and he's still plowing ahead with his proud son, leaving behind the audio side behind him. This unassuming old engineer has a lot to be super proud of. Left engineering at his family's request (from what I've been able to gather anyhow), and started crushing it in the guitar and bass world. And he's still crushing it!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 am

I've owned dozens over the years, now own zero, and only regret selling one - my first Carvin and first 'real' guitar, a '93 DC135 that I played the ever-loving snot out of. Regret it not because it was necessarily a great guitar, but just for sentimental reasons.

I almost regret selling this one, because it was super-lightweight and the whole guitar was only three pieces of wood. But it sounded a bit 'soft', I think because it was so light. Cool guitar though. (thanks Carvin Museum for keeping this alive).

I've finally learned that I have an impossible-to-overcome hangup with the CS, or I'd probably have one of those still too. I see it and my brain goes immediately to 'Les Paul'. But the scale length is different, the neck angle is different, they sound different, and the drive (playing it) is different. So I keep thinking I should be hearing and feeling 'Les Paul' but I don't, and apparently my brain just can't process that. I've got other rips on an LP that are much like the real thing, and those keep me happy in that realm.

For reasons I cannot explain, I constantly feel like I should always own a DC127 though I don't have one.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon May 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Didn't you recently buy a 127, and you were talking about how much you surprisingly liked the neck thru sound and feel?

Did you sell that one too?

And I can relate completely to your issues and hesitations on those otherwise beautiful CS's. I always hold back for those reasons despite wanting one very badly.

They are just going to be their own thing, but if you go into buying them looking for your "perfected Les Paul" with that specific classic Gibson sound, it's just not going to be there. That classic PAF tone is a core part of my mission in my musical life, I think it has the most universal and broad application.. tamp it down for convincing jazz tone, country tone, crank it up classic rock tone, mellow out the neck for blues tone, push it for classic metal tone when amped up (although longer scale length and somewhat clearer pup tone from Carvin M's and for example those old 8K vintage Hags, do it better in my book). It's convincing no matter what you do with it.

As evidenced by the old Gibson style neck/scale length Carvin I own and love, and my Hagstroms, they don't have to be made by Gibson (although in my book there's only one LP Special), but the CS does have a bit of variance from that magical original recipe. So I get it, Guitfiddle.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue May 22, 2018 7:35 am

It's true, nothing sounds like my LP, and my CS didn't have the classic PAF goodness it does. But the playability, feel and distinctly Carvin tone were something I like, and thought I'd like the LP better but I think I was wrong.

I run into this issue that, to recreate my first Carvin, i'll end up paying around 600 bucks more for it than 3 years ago. I'm trying to understand...why is there such a huge price difference between a cs3 and cs6? I could understand the price difference if the flamed/quilted top was included, but it's not only an extra 300 base but another 300 for the figured maple. What's that extra get me?!
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue May 22, 2018 7:47 am

I should have realized that fact long before I even owned one - I owned a original PRS Singlecut before the CS was even a gleam in Mark's eye and I never even came close to bonding with it for the same reasons - but I guess I must be stubborn and had to try again, expecting different results. Or is that insane....

I'm with you on the PAF tone. I'd wither up and die without it. You can do anything with it, and sound good doing it. Absolutely the most versatile electric guitar tone on the planet. I don't know whether to feel elated or confused or frustrated that the best short-scale LP-style PAF vehicle I've ever played is a $650 Godin I bought online as an experiment without playing it first. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it, and I've been forever chasing that 'extra' 5% in this classic configuration. My other fancier, more expensive, more accurate LP copy is collecting dust and being considered for sale. I either got stupidly lucky or if they are all this good, I'm gonna buy up a few more now that they've been disco'd.

I did have a DC127 a few years ago that pleasantly surprised me in many ways, and I was in fact very much enjoying the tones and feel for what it was. I kept my expectations realistic and frankly it surpassed them. Then it surprised me further....in a very bad way. Despite being humidified the ebony board shrank dramatically and bowed the neck to the point that I was out of truss rod to adjust it further. Combined with the events of 3 other new Kiesel builds at the time, all relating to improperly dried woods, I sold it (and them) with full disclosure and swore off Kiesel.

Now I'm actually considering another DC127, this time with a lam neck and rosewood board, and a hair trigger for returning it if I get even the faintest whiff of something wrong. I love the DC127, and I apparently never learn.
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 am

Treadplatedual wrote:.

I run into this issue that, to recreate my first Carvin, i'll end up paying around 600 bucks more for it than 3 years ago. I'm trying to understand...why is there such a huge price difference between a cs3 and cs6? I could understand the price difference if the flamed/quilted top was included, but it's not only an extra 300 base but another 300 for the figured maple. What's that extra get me?!

Im not sure what you mean. The CS6 starts $350 higher, but it has a flamed maple top, and painted matching flamed maple headstock included in its price.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue May 22, 2018 9:14 am

spudmunkey wrote:

Im not sure what you mean. The CS6 starts $350 higher, but it has a flamed maple top, and painted matching flamed maple headstock included in its price.

Check out the builder, it's adding an additional 300 to the cost for the flamed/quilt maple.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 22, 2018 10:07 am

Treadplatedual wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:

Check out the builder, it's adding an additional 300 to the cost for the flamed/quilt maple.

Flamed maple and quilted maple are two different prices. Flamed maple is included in the price. Have you cleared your cart and cookies recently? If it's showing you a $300 cost for flamed maple on a CS6, you're seeing some sort of bug I'm not seeing. On the page where you select the actual flamed maple, there should be no price. And then when you go to the next page to select your finish, there should be a whole section of finishes available for "$0". If you selected quilted maple on that earlier page, then yes: there should be costs for the finishes on the next page because quilted maple is an upgrade.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Tue May 22, 2018 1:41 pm

I tried again after clearing my cache, and it fixed the bug, now i'm looking at about 1749 for an equivalent beast, which isn't too terrible, all things considered.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Ahh, cool! Glad it was a bug!

:applause:

I once had 3 guitars in my cart, and then every guitar I added after that showed each of the neck upgrades from the first three guitars in the cart, all added to this 4th guitar, one right after another, adding hundreds to the final total. :laughhard: Like I was somehow ordering a guitar with a 5-piece maple neck, a flamed maple neck, a koa and maple neck, and a maple and purpleheart neck. :)

It's bad enough that even when it's working perfectly, the builder still lets you select "koa neck and body" and then add a 5-piece koa and maple neck, potentially costing a customer $300 extra. :wall: Or how up until 2-3 weeks ago they were STILL showing a $40 charge for SS frets (it seems to have been fixed, finally!) online when they were supposed to be no-charge for any size SS frets. :wall: :wall:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue May 22, 2018 3:24 pm

spudmunkey wrote: Like I was somehow ordering a guitar with a 5-piece maple neck, a flamed maple neck, a koa and maple neck, and a maple and purpleheart neck. :)

I would LOVE to play that guitar!! :lol: Especially if it was one of those amazing bolt-thru necks that are glued in by mortise and pork tendon.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Don't forget to make it a 13-string, tuned to H#. :lol:

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Wed May 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Rofl, nah man, at 13 strings, gotta drop Q that bad boy.

Man, I'm about 6 inches from putting my LP on the verb and pulling the trigger on a CS.

*sigh*
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs