Wenge neck and headstock? (or the closest thing to)

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

uli87

Wenge neck and headstock? (or the closest thing to)

Postby uli87 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:52 am

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question.

In the guitar builder I don't see an option for wenge anywhere, however I found a picture of a wenge top/headstock kiesel guitar on google

Is it possible to custom order a 5 piece wenge/purple heart neck and headstock? I absolutely love the way it looks with an ebony fingerboard and got the idea from Nick Johnston's custom Schecter:

If it isn't possible, would the closest thing be walnut? It's definitely not as dark as wenge.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Wenge neck and headstock? (or the closest thing to)

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am

Wenge isn't a normal option. Every so often they seem to have a few pieces on hand, but it's not something they "stock".

As far as neck wood, they don't seem to like working with it very much. The only one i remember seeing, i think the person sent in his own, and then they still finished it in a clear satin finish. In Jeff's experience, "it stinks" over time, as the deep open pores are hard to keep clean.

As far as necks, they are seemingly less open to doing non-standard neck wood combinations in the past few years, simply because they take time to make, and then have to go back into the kiln to dry again, which sort of interrupts their work flow. Perhaps on a Kiesel Edition upgrade package, which normally take longer anyways, and are a bit separate from their normal production process... :think:

Worth calling and asking, though.

uli87

Postby uli87 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:15 am

I see.

The wenge does have a beautiful grain that goes along with it, but I was mainly looking for it because of it's rich dark brown color.

I think walnut might be too light, unless there are some darker color variations on different pieces of wood. Any other woods you can think of that might do the trick?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 am

Figured walnut tends to be darker than the plain walnut. And with figured tops, you can also do a "hand select" upcharge where you can ask for a dark-colored piece, and they will pick from the darkest of what they have on hand at the time.

You could potentially also do a trans brown finish on walnut. That could look pretty nice. It'll likely also be pretty dark. Or even a trans black burst edge on walnut. That would darken up the overall look, and still let some wood grain peek through the trans black. (specifically the trans black. Their normal "black burst" is just basically their opaque jet black paint.

uli87

Postby uli87 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking about a color changing Aries (blue to purple) and never considered a natural headstock till I saw that Schecter. Classy and royal on one end and futuristic on the other.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs