Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:07 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Brock wrote:Just today I saw a CT for sale. All the specs/options were listed and Deep Sunset over quilt was listed as a $300 option. I laughed until I went to the guitar builder and indeed a deep triple step over quilt is a $300 option while deep triple step over flame is included in the price. Is this something new? I thought both were considered standard?

No. The CT6 comes with flamed maple as standard included in the price. Quilt was always an upcharge. Even a decade ago, it was a $160 upgrade option:
http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/07-ctseries.html

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:23 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:
Brock wrote:Just today I saw a CT for sale. All the specs/options were listed and Deep Sunset over quilt was listed as a $300 option. I laughed until I went to the guitar builder and indeed a deep triple step over quilt is a $300 option while deep triple step over flame is included in the price. Is this something new? I thought both were considered standard?

No. The CT6 comes with flamed maple as standard included in the price. Quilt was always an upcharge. Even a decade ago, it was a $160 upgrade option:
http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/07-ctseries.html

Was it that way with the CS also? When I was building mine I thought for sure flame and quilt were both standard options. Then again, I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago....

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm

I looked at a catalog from 2009 and a quilt top for a CS6 is a $180 upcharge.

From here on out - whatever I post on here, it would be a good idea to check it out for yourself. I think my mind is gone :mrgreen:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Back in 2008 when I ordered my CS6, one of the reasons I stuck with flame was because of the upcharge to quilt. :)

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:26 am

I wanted flame for mine only because I think it looks better on a LP style guitar than quilt. Though I do like quilt when it's long and stringy like this:
cs624m-qdc6-koa-fmn-nhwo-stjf-ab-wk-s22j-s22b-abl-402-vt2-50-1pieceflamedkoabody-7amastergradequilt-purpleheartfingerboard-129748_gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm

I've got a sudden craving for a JB100 in gloss primer grey with chrome hardware and cream HH pickups and...hmm...ziricote board, maybe? Otherwise maple with black block inlays, and ideally the "regular" inline headstock (like what you get on a Bolt/DC127), painted to match the body. Hardtail.

Omsong
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Omsong » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 pm

I won't swear to it but if I remember correctly the very first CT6s had free abalone block inlays as a promotion. A quilt top might have also be free. I say that because I had one of the first with a quilt top and normally they are priced out of my budget. Think those first CT6s also came with a free strap, strap locks and HS case. Wasn't that also when Carvin first offered the Deep Triple Step stains?
Carvin (All Sold)
* Fatboy 2002 Cherry Sunburst Flame
* CT6M 2004 (apx.) Deep Tigers Eye Quilt
* Fatboy 2007 Clario Walnut Clear Gloss
* Bolt+ 2011 Deep Orange Flame
Kiesel
* Fatboy 2017 Deep Lava Flame

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 pm

Omsong wrote:I won't swear to it but if I remember correctly the very first CT6s had free abalone block inlays as a promotion. A quilt top might have also be free. I say that because I had one of the first with a quilt top and normally they are priced out of my budget. Think those first CT6s also came with a free strap, strap locks and HS case. Wasn't that also when Carvin first offered the Deep Triple Step stains?

It may have been a promotion. The CT was launched in '04, and in it's first year catalog, quilted tops were a $240 upgrade, and while abalone blocks were listed as $120, there was also a "free abalone block upgrade" little graphic on the catalog page.
http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/04-ct6.html

The "Deep" finishes were launched with the CT. I'm not sure when they added the option to the rest of the finishes, or when they made it standard on all flamed and quilted maple finishes.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 am

spudmunkey wrote:I've got a sudden craving for a JB100 in gloss primer grey with chrome hardware and cream HH pickups and...hmm...ziricote board, maybe? Otherwise maple with black block inlays, and ideally the "regular" inline headstock (like what you get on a Bolt/DC127), painted to match the body. Hardtail.

That would certainly be handsome!
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 am

spudmunkey wrote:
The "Deep" finishes were launched with the CT. I'm not sure when they added the option to the rest of the finishes, or when they made it standard on all flamed and quilted maple finishes.

It was at least as early as fall 2009 that the deep finish was an option for other models. In the catalog I have there is a DC400, DC127, SH65 and an AE185 all shown with a "deep" option.

Return to The Backstage Lounge