GLENN TIPTON Diagnosed With Parkinson's

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

GLENN TIPTON Diagnosed With Parkinson's

Postby JCG » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 am

Ten years ago, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Glenn Tipton was diagnosed with the onset of the early stages of Parkinson's disease. From then until recently, the 70-year-old musician has lived his life as the great heavy metal guitar player he has always been, maintaining by his own definition a standard of quality and performance that is incredibly important.
Right now, Glenn is able to play and perform some of the PRIEST songs that are less challenging but due to the nature of Parkinson's progression, he wants to let the fans know that he won't be be touring with the band.
True to the metal spirit of "the show must go on," Glenn has requested PRIEST producer and HELL guitarist Andy Sneap to fly the flag on stage for him.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: GLENN TIPTON Diagnosed With Parkinson's

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 am

This is such terrible news. He's a legend!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 am

He really is.

If feels so nutz that everyone from (the post-Brian years of) the Rolling Stones are still out there touring, yet the dudes from bands like Priest and Kiss are petering (no pun intended fair Mr. Criscuola) out. Iggy survives and jumps around like he's seventeen... you just never know.

Quick right turn: Paul Stanley is an embarrassment on stage (aside from the nearly unbearable deterioration of his voice, which he probably richly deserves for his trashing dudes like Frehley, Criss, and a load of other musicians he woofed in his book and elsewhere and kicked in the head over vulnerable moments in their lives.. and continues to do stupid $#!& to massage his precious sense of self.. his mirror is probably smeared in tears and lipstick imprinted by his own mouth), I just saw that bit about the T-shirt this weekend after listening to Eddie Trunk's broadcast about it. I had to find a spot to work it in somewhere for anyone who hadn't had a chance to watch this aberration. He's gross and effing wretched.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 am

Another quick right turn (2 rights so far): I haven't listened to KISS much at all in...well, ever. Know a couple of their songs, and leave it at that. I did see some videos in the past year or two about Paul's voice disintegration...maybe they should get Tom Waits for vocals :P

Also, that video shows the whole band is clearly infatuated with their own brand. Their house? Show of respect? Are they trying to get into professional wrestling using that jargon?
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am

Doctor Turn wrote: stupid $#!&

"We love Steve, we love Bruce, we love Nicko, we love 'em all, [subtext: but we don't remember the rest of their names]"
Brilliant! :lol:

Kiss are a bunch of clowns, that was always their schtick. Sad to hear about Glenn. Parkinson's sucks, especially for anyone who works with their hands.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 am

Just makes me realize how much time has gone by. Most of my friends in art and design high school were under the spell of three primary bands in the early Eighties: priest, maiden, and solo Ozzy.

Don't get me wrong, they loved Crue, QRiot, early no makeup kiss, etc, but these three British metal powerhouses just ruled their world. Stomping around midtown Manhattan with stud collars and wristbands, shaggy bullet haircuts, mc boots, denim vests with album covers painted on the back over leather motorcycle jackets, riding gloves, etc, carrying a radio blasting Phantom of the Opera by Maiden and Breaking The Law.. and all of the Rhoads/Ozzy stuff.

Great species of rowdy outer borough dudes that doesn't really exist anymore. Although I was one of the boys I was always more into Zappa, Crimson, and some of the more progressive stuff, but so many great memories. Sad to hear about Glenn.

And although I have an affection for kiss running up to 75, gene and Paul are just frickin awful people.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Sad news indeed. I was never a big fan but I do like a bunch of their tunes.
I was lucky to get to finally see them a few years ago (2015).
They were quite good live. Rob was pretty solid for an aging metal god.

Set list :
"Dragonaut"
"Metal Gods"
"Desert Plains"
"Victim of Changes"
"Halls of Valhalla"
"The Rage"
"Turbo Lover"
"Redeemer of Souls"
"Beyond the Realms of Death"
"Screaming For Vengeance"
"Breaking the Law"
"Hell Bent for Leather"

Encore 1
"The Hellion / Electric Eye"
"You've Got Another Thing Comin"

Encore 2
"Painkiller"
"Living After Midnight"
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 pm

That's a great set, Bob. Would have loved to see Halford on a good day, I've only seen him on a so-so one.

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Egad, that's terrible news. :(

Not to long ago, Pat Torpey (Mr. Big drummer) lost his battle with Parkinson's.

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 pm

DesmoBob wrote:Egad, that's terrible news. :(

Not to long ago, Pat Torpey (Mr. Big drummer) lost his battle with Parkinson's.

Aw man, I hadn't even heard that. :( That's even worse.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am

That's a darn shame. I love Judas Priest. I always enjoyed Glenn's tone.
I even modified my 70's Strat to look like one of his back in the 80's. I still have it, but it looks more Original now. :wink:
Thankfully I got to see them in their heyday, Waaaaaaaaay back. LOUD!!!!..............WHAT? YES I'M YELLING, CAUSE MY EARS ARE RINGING JUST THINKING ABOUT IT. After an L.A. Sports Arena show, that's how my conversation went on the PayPhone (remember those? :lol: ) That's how we used to call for our ride home. Oh the Good 'ol Days. :D
Best wishes to a Metal God!

Too much of that Parkinson's going around. Recently, Neil Diamond stopped touring because of that too. I believe.

Return to The Backstage Lounge