Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby brento73 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:50 pm

What were you doing in Overland Park? My wife and I work not far from there, and I go there fairly often.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 am

Visiting the oldest. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 pm

OK, not a Kiesel thought, but it *IS* random (and not worth its own thread) ...

I'm *SO* relieved, I was given (ANOTHER) 24 "working" hours to contact the IRS or they will arrest me ... OVER THE PHONE!!! :lol:
I've been getting a rash of these msgs again this year since Monday. Caller ID "masked", of course, most said San Antonio Tx, ALtamont NY, and recently Aberdeen Md. The lastest msg said something about calling the local "cops" (yeah, 'cause the phone-IRS uses that term) because they are "for" (???) serious ... and then they didn't have the cajones (or command of the English language?) to complete the msg.
Nothing a shotgun to the scrotal region couldn't cure. :evil:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Oh, man...I've been getting so many of those lately. And at least 1/3 of them seem to be in some sort of asian-y language (sorry, I don't have the ear to be able to tell from which specific country...I just know it's something east of India.).

The other ones are "Your credit card company" and how "it's imperative you contact us right away!" :lol:

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:19 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Oh, man...I've been getting so many of those lately. And at least 1/3 of them seem to be in some sort of asian-y language (sorry, I don't have the ear to be able to tell from which specific country...I just know it's something east of India.).

The other ones are "Your credit card company" and how "it's imperative you contact us right away!" :lol:

Yeah, their accent must be so bad, that they have to use a computer gen'd voice on these msgs. But the content, nevermind the grammar ... :roll: :laughhard:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Here's something semi-random:

Listen to this to find out one of the reasons I like flat wound strings so much:

CLICK HERE

This is a 'clean' setting with a little compression to get some dirt going on. I play a little on the neck pickup, then flip over to the bridge. After a short fade, I play a similar bit on the neck again before flipping to the bridge. One of the neck/bridge sets is on strings I put on a few moment before hitting record, and the other is played on strings which have been on for over a year and a half.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:37 am

I used to do high-gain "shred" on an Ibanez S series using flat-wounds. It took a fairly extreme EQ setting to make it sound normal, but the result was a very focused sound, and self-damping, so I didn't need those stupid fretboard wraps to kill sustain.

That brings to mind; why in the heck do people go for a guitar that has maximum sustain, and then tie down the strings to kill that sustain off? It's counterproductive.

Anyway, yes, flatwounds can be used for just about anything, are extremely stable (even with heavy trem abuse and dive bombs), and tend to be unsung heroes in the string world. Half-rounds are another good choice.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:01 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:That brings to mind; why in the heck do people go for a guitar that has maximum sustain, and then tie down the strings to kill that sustain off? It's counterproductive.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the use, but I typically see people using them when they are doing a tap-heavy song or section of a song. They seemingly aren't left on (in the place where they would have an effect) in day-to-day use, more like for special circumstances. Imagine buying a car with a responsive gas and brakes, and then also having cruise control.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:19 am

I've seen quite a few people (of course, I have no hard numbers/data), that use them fairly constantly. Maybe it's a solo thing (people do that a lot). I've never used one, though I tried something similar years ago, and didn't care for it. Sure, it made things easier, but...I like a good fight, plus one has to learn good muting somehow.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:07 am

The thing to remember is that those straps, etc. are only killing the open strings, so unless you're playing at/below the strap, it doesn't really effect anything.

Also, back in the day, bands like Metallica would tape down unused strings when tracking rhythm parts.... like... with masking tape. So, if the whole riff is only on the E and A strings, the other four are literally taped to the neck to keep them from making any noise.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 am

Metallica didn't do that, but bands like them did? (I'm joking, and it's a cool factoid)

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:I've seen quite a few people (of course, I have no hard numbers/data), that use them fairly constantly. Maybe it's a solo thing (people do that a lot). I've never used one, though I tried something similar years ago, and didn't care for it. Sure, it made things easier, but...I like a good fight, plus one has to learn good muting somehow.

Check out some Greg Howe videos. He slides it up or down the fretboard as needed in the midst of a song.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 am

DesmoBob wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:I've seen quite a few people (of course, I have no hard numbers/data), that use them fairly constantly. Maybe it's a solo thing (people do that a lot). I've never used one, though I tried something similar years ago, and didn't care for it. Sure, it made things easier, but...I like a good fight, plus one has to learn good muting somehow.

Check out some Greg Howe videos. He slides it up or down the fretboard as needed in the midst of a song.

I remember seeing Holdsworth live back in '84. In the middle of the song Road Games there's some two-handed tapping stuff that I was excited to see him do live. When it came time for that part of the song, his singer walked over by him and wrapped his hand around the strings at the nut so they wouldn't ring while the tapping was going on. This 20 year-old was fascinated at that. Now people can do it without using their singer! :lol:
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:29 am

ElfDude wrote:I remember seeing Holdsworth live back in '84. In the middle of the song Road Games there's some two-handed tapping stuff that I was excited to see him do live. When it came time for that part of the song, his singer walked over by him and wrapped his hand around the strings at the nut so they wouldn't ring while the tapping was going on. This 20 year-old was fascinated at that. Now people can do it without using their singer! :lol:

Look up Tokyo Dreams live

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:34 am

I wonder if there's a browser-accessible archive or something of the photos uploaded here. :think: It would be super cool to just scroll through a folder of thumbnails of everything uploaded here.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm

ElfDude wrote:
DesmoBob wrote:

I remember seeing Holdsworth live back in '84. In the middle of the song Road Games there's some two-handed tapping stuff that I was excited to see him do live. When it came time for that part of the song, his singer walked over by him and wrapped his hand around the strings at the nut so they wouldn't ring while the tapping was going on. This 20 year-old was fascinated at that. Now people can do it without using their singer! :lol:

I think all singers should be charged w doing duty, ie on hand to dampen strings, press footswitches and pedals with their index fingers, etc. It's a great convenience. Soon Sweetwater is going to start selling them, and then used ones will filter down to Reverb and ebay!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I think all singers should be charged w doing duty, ie on hand to dampen strings, press footswitches and pedals with their index fingers, etc. It's a great convenience. Soon Sweetwater is going to start selling them, and then used ones will filter down to Reverb and ebay!

Check this out. At about 8:47 the guitar player runs interference with a super-douche guitar move to distract while the singer hits a pedal to make a cool sound. Needs to happen more!lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmn69S44OM

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:At about 8:47 the guitar player runs interference with a super-douche guitar move to distract while the singer hits a pedal to make a cool sound.

Great job by the singer - makes it look like the cool sound is a result of the SDGM.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:22 pm

colossal wrote:
ElfDude wrote:I remember seeing Holdsworth live back in '84. In the middle of the song Road Games there's some two-handed tapping stuff that I was excited to see him do live. When it came time for that part of the song, his singer walked over by him and wrapped his hand around the strings at the nut so they wouldn't ring while the tapping was going on. This 20 year-old was fascinated at that. Now people can do it without using their singer! :lol:

Look up Tokyo Dreams live

We got to see Tokyo Dreams at that show too. :D
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 pm

There were a few nice tops on today's "Pick Your Top Tuesday" video. That flamed koa was really really nice, as was the quilted maple. That's the kind of quilted maple I will be hoping for when it comes time for my SH6.

Return to The Backstage Lounge