Remember When?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Remember When?

Postby fatfretty » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Anyone else been here long enough to remember back when this BBS was really active? What is this the second or third iteration? I was on the night Kevio was dumping the original version and going to what I remember as version 2.0. It was almost like a chat room with the amount of activity. What happened? Did social media sites like FB take the function over, or did the once tight community drop away by age, attrition, or other reasons?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Remember When?

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:17 pm

The same thing has happened to a number of other forums I've visited. Between Facebook groups and Reddit, both of which are TERRIBLE replacements, participation on forums is plummeting.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:10 pm

spudmunkey wrote:The same thing has happened to a number of other forums I've visited. Between Facebook groups and Reddit, both of which are TERRIBLE replacements, participation on forums is plummeting.

Yep. It's unfortunate. Facebook is an asspit.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Remember? Of course. Regulars know how it slowly shifted and happened. And it wasn't FB that did it.

The one source of pain that stays with me is the deleting of the Product Suggestions section of the BBS. We curated the crap out of that section for years.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:22 pm

BBSes in general seem to be dying a slow, lingering death. I was on one with a publisher (for whom I edited a couple of science fiction/fantasy anthologies, if you're into that sort of thing: My Permuted Anthologies) - the owner sold the business, the new owners said "this BBS is so old, it's farting dust bunnies," and they pulled the plug.

Funny thing was, I never would've known about the publisher - much less been invited to freelance for them - if not for the BBS.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:13 pm

I'm a late-comer, but there used to be far more activity even four or five years ago than now. I chalked it up to younger members and their preferred methods of online stuff. Reddit and FB have groups and subgroups for various topics, and their method of one login for virtually any topic is quite good.

However...that doesn't replace the "old knowledge" that forums have aggregated over a couple decades. This is especially true with some older automotive forums of which I'm still part (despite not even having the specific car model anymore). I help newcomers with their issues and with history, as the info simply doesn't exist on newer platforms, as well as searching such info being far more difficult, and not always showing on a search engine.

I'll remain here until the forums are closed; might as well; there are still some mighty good and informative people on these forums, and I have to search far less to find answers, or pictures, of what I'm seeking.

I miss the museum forums, and hope they return (with the classifieds section) soon. Lot of the same people there as here, and it seemed like an honest lot who knew what they had, compared to what I'm seeing in the FB or other online classifieds.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:33 pm

I would be OK with these sort of "centralized" forums like reddit if they could be formatted better for archived conversations. As it is, unless something is being actively discussed, it's just not visible. Reddit is better than FB in that regards, but not much, and it gets worse the more topics of discussion there are. Questions repeated over and over and over and over are the worst part. "Hey, does anyone have any opinions on the Kiesel trem?" :wall:
Last edited by spudmunkey on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 pm

The repetitive questions are part of any forum, as newcomers fail to properly search, and forums aren't cleaned as much. Of course, none of that applies to Reddit, other than moderation on the rules, which are sparse. I agree, though, that searching that site is abysmal, and best left to a search engine. FB is impossible, so I don't even bother with it much. Even the marketplace is designed to showcase new items so quickly that a post made only 24 hours prior is completely buried, and almost unsearchable.

Perhaps a centralized, "living" forum is in order. Somewhat like the current trendy offerings, but with less truncation, and a real search method. Forum 2.0!
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fatfretty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:I miss the museum forums, and hope they return (with the classifieds section) soon. Lot of the same people there as here, and it seemed like an honest lot who knew what they had, compared to what I'm seeing in the FB or other online classifieds.

The museum used to have a chat room that was active too. Bundy, myself and quite a few others that have disappeared over the decades were active there. I still have a T-Shirt from the museum that got discontinued when the V220 came back.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:12 pm

I see Bundy every so often on the FB group. :D

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:04 am

Of course I remember. :)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

GuitFiddle
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am

It's kind of depressing when I do a specifically targeted search and wind up at an old BBS post. I always think....oh yeah, that guy! He was around forever and a big contributor...then radio silence for several years since. Whatever the reason, I hate to see it, but it is what it is. People like me are never going to switch to the surveillance cesspool that is FB and the like, so I guess we just 'go away' eventually.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:34 am

The NintendoAge forum's parent website company was just bought and the forum updated, but they actually did archive the "old" forum and all of the content...which I think is a great thing to preserve the treasure-trove of data. That's the bummer, for me, about the museum forum being down. I wasn't that active of a user there, and honestly don't expect it to come back, but even if it did, active engagement will be a trickle as best...but the info that was available via search, etc was, and still is, invaluable. :(

helldorado

Postby helldorado » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:16 am

I was a forum lurker for years, back when I got my first Carvin. I had registered at some point, forgot what that registration was, probably changed e-mails since then, re-registered again almost 2 years ago and finally started posting this month, lol. Though I had been active on the FB page for the past several years and am slowing recognizing who is here and on there.

FB and IG are just easier for reaching customers in more engaging ways. The live videos and other features just aren't there in a BBS. FB in particular also attracts a lot of "look at me" type posting. There are a lot of "hardcore Kiesel fans" active on the FB group that I have never seen any corollary posting from here, but they post up their guitars or a video of them playing one or more times a week. If you're a hardcore fan, support the BBS. :-) I mean that's part of why I started posting here. It's a huge wealth of knowledge and it deserves to be kept going.

I think the BBS is just part of the general challenges ant small to mid-size company faces as it tries to tie together it's social presence, marketing, flow of product information, and keeping an engaged customer base. I know any complaints I have about the website, disorganized product info, etc.... are more about wanting to see the company do better and thrive. It's like, you do A amazingly well, why is B such an ongoing source of mediocrity to the point it's just a punchline? Do B as good as you do A so you can be able to do C! :)

*edit* yay, 10th post. Officially an old timer! :laughhard:

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:13 am

fatfretty wrote:I still have a T-Shirt from the museum

+1 I still have my Carvin Museum Tee's
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:52 am

amispy wrote:
fatfretty wrote:I still have a T-Shirt from the museum

+1 I still have my Carvin Museum Tee's

I think I have 2 that are like your avatar. 1 I wear on occasion (mostly summer time), and 1 "preserved" (I hope). 8)
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to The Backstage Lounge